Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB

Jul 26, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC

Jun 07, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

251 - 275 of 467 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By David G

Oct 05, 2020

This is such a great course, with the instructor really doing a great job conveying what each artist was trying to do.

By Clara A S

Mar 26, 2019

I loved this course! I really enjoyed it. The course content and flexible time management were great and ideal for me.

By Leslie Z

Oct 10, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! The course is engaging, simple to follow, and expertly taught by Corey D'Augustine.

By Peter J W

Sep 06, 2017

Amazing class. Excellent instructor and selection of artists in the course. Opened an entirely new world of art to me.

By Sohnit K

Dec 30, 2018

its one of my best course I have ever taken. You can learn and apply the knowledge in your painting. I enjoyed a lot.

By Allegra S

Jun 03, 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed the class and learned much. Thank you MoMA for the this positive experience during the pandemic.

By Steven C

Oct 06, 2019

Excellent course material - and really fantastic course leader! The demonstrations and reading material are great.

By Pepa Q G

May 28, 2017

I enjoy it very much. I learn a lot about the Postwar Abstract Painters. I wish I can join another similar course.

By Indie R

Dec 16, 2019

One of the best courses here with very creative assignment and a great lector with sophisticated sense of humor!

By Greta G

Jul 23, 2020

El curso fue excelente, me gustaría saber como debo hacer para obtener el certificado ya que lo terminé completo

By Taylor W

Jun 14, 2020

This was a great learning experience, and I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys history and creative art!

By Elizabeth B

Informative, insightful, inspiring. I would love to take more courses like this for different schools/styles.

By Constantina Y

Jan 30, 2018

This course is simply amazing! All aspects... the videos, the information, the knowledge are all outstanding.

By Jigna C

May 23, 2020

Excellent course, should be done by a;ll budding and upcoming artists to get a perspective of the Art scene.

By prithipal s s

Oct 23, 2018

its a great course for knowing the masters and understanding their path breaking innovations in abstract art

By Kylie S

Jun 21, 2020

Really worth the commitment as this was incredibly engaging and wonderful in it's explanation of the topic

By Athena L

Jun 09, 2020

This course was so fun. I really enjoyed learning about the Abstract Expressionists intentions & processes

By Tore W

May 09, 2019

Art history! Instructions on how-did-they-do-it! Insights on great artists thoughts about art! Just great!

By Andrea S

Jun 18, 2017

I loved the course! Corey D'Augustine is an excellent teacher and the course material is very informative.

By Jouriy L

May 24, 2017

Thank you very much! Very good and useful course.

Thank you particularly for instructor Corey D’Augustine.

By Kari G

Jul 28, 2020

An excellent interesting course about 8 artists of the abstract Expressionist period. Highly recommended!

By Anna M O

Jun 17, 2017

Fantastic experience..emotions, technique, history of art.. a dream that came true. Thank you from Italy

By Aaron W

May 20, 2017

Really wonderfully run, and such interesting subject matter - really ignited an interest in me to paint!

By Ury L E M

Apr 14, 2020

Friendly, easy-understanding with a lot of useful information about Abstract artists. I do recommend it

By Pantelis A

Jan 31, 2018

Very satisfied with the course. The highlight of the course is Corey D'Augustine's video instructions.