Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB

Jul 26, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC

Jun 07, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

451 - 467 of 467 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Rose N

Oct 25, 2019

Interesting and engaging course content with evidently knowledgeable instructor. Thoroughly enjoyable optional practical exercises. A pity that the peer review of the final 'assessed' submission took a long time and did not provide much useful feedback; as there is obviously not a huge cohort, perhaps the instructor or an assistant would be a more appropriate/useful assessor.

By Colleen K

Jun 08, 2020

Would have enjoyed attending one session on any of the women featured in the book "Ninth Street Women"...Frankenthaler, Mitchell, Elaine deKooning, Krasner, Hartigan, Freilicher, etc. Other than that, great course. I am an amateur collector of abstract expressionist artists and now have a better eye and appreciation for the art.

By John R M

Jul 20, 2020

I very much enjoyed this course. I found it very informative, and taught in a way that made learning interesting and enjoyable. I am impressed with Corey D'Augustine's teaching skills. His knowledge of the subject(s) and the way he lays out the information in the videos made his instruction painless and fun. - John Robert Myers

By Dionne W

Jun 17, 2020

Really loved this course, the studio tasks really challenged me and led me to want to do more. My only annoyance is that I cannot get my grade because there is no other work for me to critique for my final assignment. Shame a flaw in the process holds up the rounding off of this for me.

By Jill B

Jan 23, 2018

Really enjoyed this course, particularly the "In The Studio" content. It has completely changed by view of abstract paintings from 'a child could have done this' to a deep appreciation of the skilled approach and the artist's very deep knowledge and understanding of their chosen medium.

By Kelsie

Jan 19, 2018

A very informative introduction to the methods, techniques, beginnings, and psychology to influential artists within the movement. The readings were succinct and engaging, but never too long. Lots of audiovisual supplementation.

By Thomas P

May 26, 2017

Fantastic course, very well planned and great mix of source material through the Career in Eight Artworks sections to the videos explaining painting technique in the studio.

By Joy S

Sep 11, 2017

This is actually pretty cool. You could, by watching the painting demonstrations, actually reproduce the techniques of the artists studied in the class.

By Robert V P

Sep 18, 2020

An interesting class. I wasn't interested in actually doing any of the paintings but it was fascinating to learn about the process.

By Fabiola D

Oct 06, 2017

I have very much enjoyed this course, and I have learned a lot about abstract expressionists.

By Frederic M

Jun 26, 2020

very interesting learning with practical aspect rarely included in online courses

By Cheryl E

Jul 08, 2020

the course info is very good. I want only the info not a grade or certificate.

By Gerard M

Nov 06, 2017

Excellent course for anyone who wants to learn more about Modern Art!

By Francisco L

Jul 29, 2019

Excessively technical. It seems a course of learning to paint. It doesn't bring me much.

By Ann W C

Oct 08, 2020

But submitting written work - impossible

By Eric J

Jul 09, 2020

Information got too repetitive again. Course was too difficult to understand, and that I got bored immediately. This is another worst art course I have taken as well. Could have done better with the information and the videos. I give this course a 1 star out of 5.

By ailona r

Mar 02, 2018

names mentions but are not printed on the lscreen