Back to Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science by University of Pennsylvania

Dr. Martin E.P. Seligman—renowned worldwide as the “father of Positive Psychology”—has led visionary leaps in the scientific research, empirical data and personal understandings of human flourishing. This course explores the past, present and future of positive psychology as a journey through the key scientific leaps led by Dr. Seligman and his colleagues at the University of Pennsylvania's Positive Psychology Center and Master of Applied Positive Psychology program. There are no prerequisites....

MK

A perfect course for aspirant Positive Psychologist. This course change the way I perceive the challenges of life. Learning the Theory of PERMA is very fascinating and beneficial for happy well-being!

RS
Dec 8, 2017

Very self-enhancing. Activities are fun and at the same time a good avenue for learning experiences. Very positive and student engaging. Thank you for giving me the chance to be part of this course =)

76 - 100 of 1,494 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science

By Karen C

Dec 15, 2020

A great course, it was really enjoyable, and all the theory was good to read. There was also a great list of recommended reads that can be great reference resources and I loved watching the videos to. If there is a more advanced course than it's something I may have to look into. It was worth the money I paid which was $200 for the amount of time it took to complete the specialization not counting the money spent on a few books which could be of interest to my daughter and encourage her in certain aspects highlighted in the titles.

By RUCHI D

Apr 26, 2020

It is a very rich course in terms of its content. This course will make us understand the real psychology beyond the worldly and societal perception. The course reflects on real meaning of well being, how it is important with the help of real examples rather than only notes and knowledgeable thing. This course is not only for psychology, or humanities people, it is meant for whole humanity to understand the essence of their own mind, life and happiness. I am heartily thankful that I got an opportunity to complete this course

By Pamela S

Oct 8, 2017

I want to thank the whole team for this quality course. I have learned a lot of what is new and what is going on in positive psychology. I am in awe how it has spread since 1999 and the potentialities it has for improving the planet's wellbeing. I am amazed of the great work professor Seligman started and has been continued and enlarged by talented students/coworkers/researchers. Positive psychology is a crucial contribution to humankind. Maybe one of the most important contributions from psychology to the world.

By Mitchell G

Jan 28, 2019

I had some knowledge about positive psychology, so I thought this first course might be more of a review for me, but I found that it was an excellent reminder of many things and deepened my learning. And I gained fresh knowledge of important and fascinating new fields, such as constructive journalism and big-data psychology. One thing that stood out for me is that all of the speakers are highly eloquent. It was intellectually soothing to listen to them. I also like their conversational style. Very approachable.

By Manisha J A

Nov 12, 2018

I feel glad that I joined this course. I am thankful to professor Seligman , Penn university and coursera for making available such a beautiful science in a very simple yet attractive manner in various forms of lectures, videos, discussions and assignments and making the course really enjoyable.

I am feeling really happy to receive the certificate of completion from PENN University. Eager to join the next course at the earliest as while doing this course the Positive Emotions in me raised to a greater level.

By Cathy J N

Jul 23, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Seligman's course and found it to be insightful, meaningful and inspirational. Each week's module builds well on the previous module and proves to be more and more informative. I can see many ways to utilize the information learned in this course in both my personal and professional life. This has been so very inspirational and I am looking forward to continuing with this specialization. Thank you, Dr. Seligman, for sharing a part of you and your knowledge in such a wonderful way.

By Maya F

Nov 17, 2020

This course really kept my attention and I was engaged in all the course work. I was curious if this might be a field I would like to go into for higher education, and I'm leaving the course excited to learn more about it. More than that, it affected me in a deeply personal way. I learned skills to live better--- learned about what kind of person I am, what are my character strengths, a practice for optimism and gratitude, and reaffirmed the knowledge that helping others is a worthwhile way of living.

By Peeyush A

Jul 19, 2020

Thank you, Martin E.P. Seligman, University of Pennsylvania, Coursera for giving me an opportunity to be the part of positive psychology journey led by the none other than father of positive psychology Martin Seligman itself, for this I will be indebted forever. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and I recommended every individual irrespective of their affiliation to take this course and it is must for a psychology student.

Thank you, Martin E.P. Seligman, Coursera, University of Pennsylvania

Peeyush Anand

By Melody W

Apr 23, 2020

Excellent Experience!

I am a very positive person by nature so I was naturally drawn to this course. The content, both videos and reading, was interesting and enjoyable. Each presenter had an expertise and excitement for their field that was obvious from the presentations. Dr. Seligman was particularly enjoyable. It was very cool to watch the father of Positive Psychology. I look forward to reading his books. And I am very excited to continue the Foundations of Positive Psychology Specialization.

By Steve

Feb 25, 2019

One of the advantages of Coursera is that it gives you access to courses from world class professors like Martin Seligman, who personally I would most likely not have had a chance to meet in person. This introductory course was my first in Psychology and from some of the examples I've already been able to adapt positive interventions in both my personal and professional life and see them making a difference! I'm looking forward to the depth of such skills in next courses in the specialization.

By Suzanne M

Jun 9, 2020

I absolutely loved learning from the grandfather of Positive Psychology, Martin Seligman. For many years, I have dreamt of pursuing a master's degree with him in the field. Since that may not be a reality, this definitely fed my curiosity, provided me with new insights, gave me new perspectives for my coaching and leadership development practice and gave me a taste of just how powerful this field is in helping people create lasting change. I am so grateful I got to do this course. Thank you!

By Tomomi A E

Dec 12, 2017

Three things I learned from this course:

1. Philanthropy takes effort but is the one thing that will immediately increase well-being

2. There are fields that are being influenced by positive psychology that are practically influencing the world in the private sector

3. Psychology is a science, and is just as valid a science as any other. Though many people doubt the research of psychology because of its stigma about "emotions," it is no less meaningful as its foundation lies in statistics.

By Daniel B

Jul 31, 2020

This course was a great introduction to Positive Psychology. Seeing the way that Dr. Seligman exudes such a genuine belief and excitement in what has occurred over decades of research, trials, and implementation is refreshing and motivating. I appreciate that articles were linked that showed not only the supporters but also the naysayer's view of Positive Psychology. There is nothing to hide; the data prove the claims.

I look forward to the rest of the courses related to this discipline.

By Hunter A B

Nov 6, 2020

I cannot fully state the level of excitement I feel for this course. Truly, this was a discovery I was surely destined to make. The information is simply astounding. This whole realm of positive psychology is, nothing sort of fascinating, and with the realization of the inclusion of fields like Constructive Journalism and even mention of such things as Spiritual Experiences, I have found my life direction. If you're curious, take it from me, this course is something quite profound.

By Nicole d w

Jan 13, 2020

excellent online course that brings wellbeing. It allows you to experience the PERMA dimensions of wellbeing (Positive Emotions - when following the course, Engagement - diversity of courses and tools used, Relationship - you can see what other students also share , Meaning - need for more wellbeing in the world and Achievement - in reaching the certification). Thank you for this great inspiration. This course should e a must for all and applied in all professions.

By Bana B

Aug 16, 2017

This is an amazing course. I'm very luck to hear about Positive Psychology directly from Mr. Seligman and the other esteemed professors. I already have some of the references in my Audible library and finished Flourish, 2 days ago. I'm planning to listen to Ms. Duckworth book "Grit" next. Positive psychology basics along with neuroscience studies and self development information, are included in this course.

Amazing people. profound knowledge. What a great Course!

By Mona S

Apr 10, 2020

Dr Seligman was most engaging and inspiring. I was so in awe of him and all he has done, not only for the field of psychology (a huge paradigm shift), but for the world in generally. He is an incredible thinker/researcher/innovator, outstanding presenter, his work is so meaningful/impactful, and he has created a legacy few in the world could ever hope to leave behind. It has been an honor and a privilege to learn from the great man himself. I am truly inspired.

By Kelly C

Jan 5, 2020

The course was interesting and engaging. I loved that it had former MAPP students or PHD researchers sharing their amazing work and interests. The course was a good foundation and provided interesting overviews of applications in journalism, education and theology. I have been working with these concepts for a few years and am beginning an executive coaching training. I wanted to be sure I had a solid foundation of Positive Psychology and feel I got that.

By James M

Sep 22, 2020

I liked this course. Videos were just the right length. I really appreciate the fact that the primary lecturer is really Dr. Seligman. He is very easy to listen to. The other instructors are excellent, their passion really shows. They are enjoyable to listen to as well. I also liked the fact that you have unlimited opportunities to retake the small quizzes. I am enrolled in the Positive Psychology specialization and I am looking forward to the other classes.

By Christy J

Jun 13, 2019

Thank you very much for a thought provoking course. I am a psychologist (graduated 2002) and found so much new information in this course, as well as new perspectives on old research that I had heard about before. The section on fields that are being influenced by positive psychology was inspiring! Just taking this class seemed to improve my outlook on life, increased my optimism about the future (and society), and improved my well being. Thank you!

By Kaya R

Aug 18, 2018

This is a great course, I highly recommend it! I am a university student and this provided a great overview of what positive psychology is, its roots and history, present practices and research, as well as future goals. It shows how impactful positive psychology and positive education are and how they have successfully been implemented into many different segments. This course should be taught in schools! It really gets people interested and thinking!

By Mary A V

Dec 12, 2020

I learned a lot from this course and I’m grateful for the opportunity. Dr. Martin Seligman and the other professors clearly explained the concepts as well as used real-life examples, which made the lectures interesting. I recommend this to everyone especially for those who are in the psychology and alternative healing fields or simply to those wanting to know more about life and how we can achieve more balance and self-mastery. Definitely, 5 stars!

By Danijela N

Apr 2, 2018

Excellent course! Even though, as a psychologist, I was already familiar with most of the presented concepts, I feel that professor Seligman and his assistants made the content engaging, asked excellent questions that generate discussion, and offered a lot of additional resources and content that I was not aware of before. I can only imagine then how enlightening this course is for someone who is encountering positive psychology for the first time.

By Tara S M

Mar 8, 2020

Well-presented with a variety of lectures on many diverse topics related to Positive Psychology. Mind-broadening research paired with engaging story telling makes this course a pleasure to take. Thought provoking questions, quizzes and written assignments ensure you've captured the essence of what's being taught. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to better themselves and the lives of others in their families, work and communities.

By Federico C P

Jun 7, 2018

I have really engaged in this course! I have been applying the apprenticeships in my day to day, sharing them with my wife, in order to improve our relationship and prepare to receive our first daughter. In addition, it has been a very important impulse to continue with my professional development as a teacher and researcher in sports education. I have renewed my commitment to introduce positive psychology in sports education for young people.