Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

BS
Jul 5, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

PI
Nov 25, 2020

Por error en la encuesta presione very dissatisfied, pero en realidad estoy muy satisfecho y contento con el curso, aprendí bastante aunque me tomó un poco más de tiempo por cuestiones externas, 10/10

51 - 75 of 3,238 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Hermione F

Aug 22, 2016

I found this course disappointing. Whilst the presenter, Margaret Meloni, was enthusiastic and pleasant to listen to, the content was very sparse indeed. A large part of the content each week was simply reading a presentation which you could get from a book. I would expect an online course to be more interactive, have more videos, and more varied content. I found the case studies (where you had to imagine a real life situation and select a decision) useful - there was one of these per week when I think there could have been more, perhaps three a week. The course would also have been improved by the use of peer assessment on the assignments. This would have made them feel more worthwhile and that someone else was actually reading them.

By Naomi M

Jan 30, 2016

This is purely subjective, but I could not keep myself awake and sustain interest long enough to finish the one section I paid for. I guess I should have tried one for free first...

I tried to tell the Coursera staff to remove the course from my list and that I did not need my refund, but sadly, it sits on my 'enrolled courses' list, perhaps permanently until I cancel my account. Luckily, I did figure out how to turn off the almost twice daily notifications.

By Mukhtar K

Jun 6, 2020

In addition to luck, the most important factor that determines the success of man is his perspective on life. Carol Dweck of Stanford University says that the common feature of successful people is their perspective on life. These people are focused on continually improving the opportunities and abilities given to them. They see life as a journey of "learning", "growth", "development", "maturation". For this reason, they are always focused on development and self-renewal (Growth Mindset) Others think that the opportunities and abilities given to them in life are fixed. These people with a fixed mentality think that they will complete life with the innate opportunities and abilities given to them. Therefore, they believe that it is not necessary to strive to learn and progress (Fixed Mindset). However, life proves the opposite. The reason for the failures of the very talented, well educated children of the wealthy families is the “fixed mentality” they have. This mindset prevents them from learning, developing, growing, maturing and being successful.

I learned a lot thanks to coursera, thank you to everyone who contributed

By Carmen

Nov 20, 2020

This basically taught me the baseline of project management. As a project manager, myself, I know I needed to take a step back and get back to the basics in order to prove my worth in my position and in the field I am taking. The information I got from this course made me realize a lot of the lacking things I have as a project manager such as in the initiation and planning phases. Taking this course as part of one of the Project Management specializations that UCI's offering, I really learned a lot from this course. Ms. Meloni was able to incorporate the "by the book knowledge" from PMBOK and her personal experiences (positive and negative) in every module. Each module was concise and straightforward, but there were bonus videos wherein Ms. Meloni gave her practical insights from her experiences as a project manager. To UCI and Ms. Meloni, thank you very much!

By Abdulai K

Oct 9, 2020

Thanks to everyone who in diverse ways support me through the course in this online platform, it help me greatly in improving my knowledge. I understand all the Videos Lectured from MARGARET MELONI and also the Discussions from the panelist MARTY WARTENBERG,NEIL SAHOLA, KAREN NGUYEN.

I remain grateful to Coursera team and also Directorate of Sciences and Technology(DSTI) for the initiative. I also thank my course directors and tutors for their insight in impacting knowledge in me, I learnt a lot from this course and that is already an addendum in my experience.

Special thanks to MARGARET MELONI for her patience and presentation of valuable materials and video lectures through out the course.

I finally appreciate all useful website and references of reading materials in this course.

Best regards

Abdulai Kamara

Freetown

Sierra Leone

West Africa.

By Braves A G

Sep 24, 2020

Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine taught me a new skill set of knowledge applicable to my overall career and self-development. The topics are all relevant and delivered professionally by the subject matter experts. The discussions and activities are well organized for learners to gain a better understanding of the course.

I really appreciate University of California, Irvine and Coursera for granting me financial aid in completing this course. This opportunity gave me a life-changing learning experience.

Completing the course is worth the time and effort. Highly recommended to all learners to take this course.

Thank you Initiating and Planning Projects team! Thank you University of California, Irvine!

Thank you Coursera!

By Andrea G

Dec 16, 2016

This course was very informative and new to me. At first I thought it was going to be a great challenge because it was different, but after reading the PMBOK and doing the required quizzes I got a better understanding of what I was doing. I was able to mirror what I was learning to things I encountered daily while working at the construction company and this provided a great point of reference and made it all seem real. I will definately be completing the full course available. Happy that I attempted this and enjoyed doing it..

By Kristine R

Sep 23, 2020

High level of video and reading material. One of the best courses I’ve taken on Coursera. Be advised through, the time reference for the reading material is rather misleading; due to the volume of information in each reading module, reading through it all and taking notes (which you will need in order to pass the module and final exam) will definitely take you longer than the stated 10 mins. Overall, a great course that’ll definitely be useful in my pursuit of a career as Project Manager.

By G V

This course is unique way to improve professional skills to imbibe the basic contents of project management for professional development of Young project managers. Especially I would like to thank Margaret Maloney ,Course instructor for her patience and simple language to explain and make understand each and every phase in project planning and also thanks for the panellist interview with

Marty Wartenberg ,Neil Sahota ,Karen Nguyen for sharing their experiences.

By Fadrigalan, G E L

Oct 11, 2020

The instructor had a clear and energetic delivery which allowed for people with short attention spans such as I to remain focused on the topic. The arrangement of the module also provided a step-by-step learning process that makes the technical terms easier to understand as you go through the course. Overall I'm very thankful that this is my first experience in an official online class as it has given me hope that future online classes would be as high quality as this one.

By Minna T

Jun 5, 2020

It was an exciting opportunity to follow an online course such as this one. This was my first online course experience. It worked so well. It has been planned and organised very effectively conducted by the course instructors, especially Ms Margaret Meloni. Her vedios and the introduction to PMBOK were informative. Doubly contended about having put my COVID-19 lockdown days to achieve something useful from home. A big THANK YOU. Wish to follow more courses soon.

By Susan H

Sep 4, 2020

I really had no clue how much I had to learn about Project Management. I thought because I'd spent a number of years doing project management on the job, I'd be flying through the courses easily. What I discovered was basically a new language with practicable and meaningful applications that deepened my appreciation for the materials and courses. I have so much to learn (hope this is always the case anyway) and look forward to future courses in this arena.

By Jennifer D S

May 4, 2016

Amazing in it's simplicity! It allowed me to understand the core concepts of Project Management without all the fluff that exists in some on campus courses. Truly designed with the professional in mind. Quick, simple, comprehensive, all with a very professional appearance. I especially appreciated the real life examples and the case studies Melonie presented. They really helped me better understand the principles she was trying to explain.

By Tamrat W

Mar 20, 2017

I have been working in various indigenous and international based Humanitarian community development projects for over ten years. Working in these organization has given me the opportunity to attend training organized both at home and international levels. compare to all training I attended, I found yours really exciting and helpful to person like me who have ambitions to enrage in project planning,design and implementation.

By Ying L

Nov 25, 2015

Love the Bonus video part of the course! The course has a simple structure and helps you work through the key factors in Project Management efficiently. I recently began to work on a project. With the ios App and self-paced course, I can learn the course while I am commuting between work and home in one week. I plan to work on stakeholder registry and WBS with team members to bring the concepts into practice. Big applause to Meloni!

By Smit P

Nov 22, 2019

A good course .

I am pursuing my bachelor's in Computer Science and this is my first course in PMP and hence find it very informative from my perspective since I don't have any prior knowledge of Project Management .

Very informative , Lot of material for reading is provided with good examples for application of the knowledge.

I guess most the CS or Engineering students would find it Very informative . It is Worth taking the Course

By Dana S

Sep 22, 2017

I have attended a few project management online courses and most of the time, the material is being presented in attached, theoretical form that you spend most of your time trying to stay interested. However this course presented interesting topics in a way that is relatable and understandable . I am invested because Ms. Meloni gave her real life experiences, showing the importance of the material to success. Thank you

By Bernard D V

Jan 16, 2018

First course of the specialisation "Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization".

You will learn the basis of a project, how to manage stakeholders, what is a project charter,...

It's a great course about project management. It's a 6 week duration but you will work less than 2 hours a week.

I recommend this course if you are ready to do all the specialisation because doing this course only makes no sense.

By Steven G

Jan 9, 2017

Excellent course! Very well organized and great integration with the reading material. In particular I found the workload and learning material easily digestible as a full-time working professional. Ms. Meloni is fantastic at communicating the critical elements of project management academic material while simultaneously integrating the curriculum with 'real-world' situations. Well worth the money and the brainpower!

By Sreedevi M

Oct 1, 2020

I enjoyed the course immensely. Excellent course material, and an outstanding instructor make the "Initiating and Planning Projects" course rock. Bonus videos are a treat and and filled with practical advice and wisdom. You can be confident that this course is a great value add, and a wise investment of your time and effort. If you are studying with your PMP exam in mind, then you now know where to look.

By Burcu G

Apr 11, 2019

Comparing the other courses, this course is very accurate and target-specific. It helped me to understand the project management theoretically and also made me realize how challenging it is by the real examples. I loved all parts but my favorite part is the week 6 which includes the panelists, because they are the real mentors for a new beginner project manager. I am thankful for this course.

By Farah

Mar 29, 2016

a big WOW to Margaret Meloni's style of instructions!

I've tried taking a few online project management course but lost the interest half way, I am determined to complete this one,due to her simple approach of explaining the concepts related,very clear and precise.

My understanding about the project management gets better after listening to her lectures.

Keep up the good work!

By Akshay D

Jun 26, 2020

One of the best Project Management course I have taken so far. The concepts are explained in a simplistic engaging format. The additional PMBOK related material covered through PPTs and as additional videos is extremely helpful and beneficial for someone who is planning to get their PMP certification. Case studies are also very interactive to understand the concepts.

By Melanka J d S

Jun 24, 2020

This course was an excellent course for a Civil Engineer like me who has the potential of becoming a Project Manager in near future. Specially the course content was really high standard, and the presentations were very clear and attractive as well. Also the interviews were very useful in order to get an idea on field exposure.Thank you! Keep it up the great work!

By Nzan P E

Feb 16, 2020

This was very comprehensive and easy to understand with tasks and exercises that was very helpful in implementing every knowledge gained per modules.

The program manager did a good job in breaking it into smaller units/modules for proper understanding. I strongly recommend you take this course if you interested in starting or growing a career in project management.