Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

PD
Jan 28, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

DS
Nov 19, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

126 - 150 of 3,670 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Khaled A

The videos are rather short, concise, and very informative. Ms Meloni is quite clear and explicit with her explanation and general understanding of the terms she is teaching. Highly recommend this course for anyone who is just starting out their learning process in project management.

By Gorfu D M

Feb 24, 2021

The course has a lot to offer, more specifically, I gained practical and theoretical knowledge & skill on initial identification of the project objectives and scope. I was also delighted with the relevant techniques and tools for stakeholder management as well as conflict resolution.

By Suhaimi W C

Nov 7, 2020

Awesome course. Really like the way it is structured. Highlights in the lectures, details in the lessons, Case Study and Quiz to practice what I learned, and bonus videos with real life challenges and how they were resolved. Highly recommend this course to learn project management.

By Melissa M

May 24, 2021

This course provides extensive knowledge that is very useful at work in helping projects and development among co-workers. It is essential to follow the rules to maintain a pleasant environment and obtain good performance in constructive ideas that have an explored future. Lovely!

By Alessandro D F

Jan 30, 2021

Very well structured course, extremely clear and pleasant. It allows you and understand basic but fundamental notions related Project Management discipline. I am grateful for your Course, to have the opportunity to acquire knowledge shared by highly qualified personnel. Thanks.

By Catherine P

Jun 29, 2017

An excellent introduction to initiating and planning projects for which you are PM. The material was presented in a clear and precise way with frequent reference to PMBOK, allowing further study and reading. I feel like a gained a good overview for this stage of a project as a PM.

By Tomasz R

Oct 16, 2015

This is the best course I have ever seen. Margaret Meloni is an amazing speaker. It's really a pleasure to hear her. Her explanations and real-life examples help understand the topic very fast. I recommend this course to everyone who are in any way related to project management.

By Michelle A C

Oct 14, 2020

I find the course, very informative and challenging. A great reminder of the necessary skills needed to work with people and for people. Keeping in mind, that, all actions should aim to gain a positive impacts on persons, situation, surroundings, etc., at all times

By Simwero J

Oct 26, 2017

Wow! what an experience! The course was so informative, it has ignited my appetite and I'm now thirsting for more and more of such learning. The professor was very excellent in her delivery of the content, I enjoyed the course all the way to the end. Thanks for the opportunity

By Franck

Jun 8, 2016

I just audited this course for free to acquire some additional knowledge about project management. The course is easy to follow, well written, and I enjoyed it. The author gives valuable information about the PMP certification, if this is something that you intend to pursue.

By Erica K

Jun 22, 2016

Informative yet easy for the layperson to understand, this course felt like a great in-depth look at the first two process groups of project management. I feel like I have gained useful skills for a future career in this field and will be continuing with the specialization.

By Nikisha E

Dec 12, 2020

I will like to thank my lecture for the wonderful task that she have taught me throughout this coursera journery may the good lord keep guide and protect you as the years go by .i have learned so much from you guys thanks alot for this assignments that you have taught me.

By Alyssa G G

Oct 20, 2020

The course was easy to understand despite using some technical jargon. The exercises made it easier to retain the information learned in a fun way. I appreciated the bonus videos at the end of each week because of the teacher/expert giving practical advise or insights.

By Samintha V

Aug 6, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. If you are a beginner and are just getting into Project Management, this course will be a good fit. The lectures were good and I liked the fact that the course included lessons from the PMBOK to further expand on what you just learned.

By Jessie N G

I don't regret taking this course. By curiousity I just wanted to do something different, learn new skills and at the end of it I just realized this course spans through all domains of life. I am looking forth to use the skills acquired to upgrade my working standards.

By Cherizard T

Dec 4, 2018

This course has helped me better understand the field of project management. I have now a very good grasp of the project cycle and have been introduced to the PMBOK. the instructor was friendly and has wonderful pedagogical approach. I strongly recommend this course.

By Ann M M

Sep 1, 2019

Great introduction to project management! Videos were easy to follow - delivering real life examples of the challenges within project management! The best part was the tools to help you get the job done! Thank you! Thank you! Will be following up on the next course!

By Deborah L

May 8, 2018

It's a very good course, that focus on the essential in the videos and provide a lot of detailed and useful information in the material. The bonus videos bring additional insights that are relevant and which you would think as "I could use that" in real situations.

By Кумарбекова А Ж

Oct 19, 2020

Thank you, Dear Margaret Meloni, for this course. I was always afraid of starting to learn this course, because it seemed so difficult for me. But you made it as simple as possible for all of us. I believe that those acquired theories will help me in the practice.

By Indranil C

Aug 2, 2020

It's a very knowledgeable course and it is very beneficial if someone is interested to take the path as a leader and and a Project Manager. Although I don't have the PMBOK Guide, throughout the course everything has been explained in a neat and organized manner.

By Greta K

Nov 13, 2017

The form of knowledge stimulation is very well organised throughout this course. I am highly satisfied with the materials, as well as applications. What I highly value is the presence of real situations, which stimulate the implications of the given information.

By Yasith A

Apr 25, 2020

Content of the course is very clear and very well structured. I have started this to improve my skills under a different area where I'm not engaged in day to day business. This course gave me a very positive start and helped me to put the foundation strongly.

By Muhammad F A

Apr 18, 2020

Much obliged to you to Coursera for such an incredible stage to improve our abilities and education. The learning condition offered here is totally a learn at your own pace condition, making it adaptable to learn. Seriously this course. That was great for me.

By Alexander N B G

Oct 2, 2020

Muy bueno el curso. Los videos exponen de forma precisa y en corto tiempo los tópicos que se abordan en cada lección. También que las lecturas que entrega son dinámicas, manteniendo más la concentracion y los ejercicios ayudan a poner a prueba lo aprendido.

By Bayush P

Apr 15, 2020

Amazing course! It gives me the knowledge needed to operate in more professional manner and specially how to deal with the conflict which I had experience in the past. It's been really easy and straightforward follow the classes as well. Thank you very much