Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

BS

Jul 06, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

76 - 100 of 3,078 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Chea M C

Jun 09, 2020

Good trainer and very informative! The best I like is the videos do not spent too long to explain the concept if compare to some other online courses that I have taken in another online learning portal. Sharing of experiences also make us have a better overview about handling in the real world. Awesome!

By Humayoon

Mar 29, 2020

This course covers all information regarding Project Planning, formation of management team, organizational structures, and documentation process which enhance the quality and learning in the course.

I will recommend this course to all candidates who are willing to opt Project Management Career. Thanks !

By Farooq A

Apr 04, 2019

Amazing course and platform. For the first time I learnt about it, and the way the concepts were cleared was amazing. I wish if I could enroll some other subjects, or in the near future. Last but not the least HEC Pakistan played a great role for the students to use this productive and free platform.

By Ana I C

This course is really great cause it covers the basics, meaning students or individuals who are beginners will have no problem learning the basics of Project Management. This initial part of the course may be quite technical and easy, but it's a nice means to start how a Project Manager should think.

By ani d

Nov 05, 2016

I really liked this course. I find the content and materials delivered very interesting and useful for my career development.

However, I find that there are too many opportunities to pass each week, which makes the course extremely easy to pass for everyone even without trying hard (moral hazard :) )

By Sherry-Ann D

Feb 03, 2019

Extremely interactive, simple to understand and I enjoyed the different teaching styles with the readings, videos and little exercises within the material. Very engaging. The panel interviews added a nice practical touch to the course as it shows what we learn is not just theory but rather useful.

By Michael W

Jun 27, 2017

excellent prep. lots of info in this course. i personally passed it 100% o first try, but feel in need to take once or twice in full to digest all info within this course. overall great learning opportunity and very comprehensive. Good mix of video and reading and valuable blend of info sources

By Maurici P

Feb 12, 2017

Very Good course to initiate yourself on Project Management. It makes a good job at teaching you the basics and showing you which tools are available to project managers.

That said, it doesn't do a lot of emphasis on how to use those tools, but that information you can easily find it elsewhere.

By Amar N S

Nov 27, 2017

First of all i would like to thank Margaret Meloni for her sincere efforts for making us understand the basics of project management. this course gives us very good idea about the initiation activities of a project, human resource management , organization structures and conflict management.

By Sandeep M J

Apr 19, 2020

It was a very wonderful and well designed course. Module wise extra reading and the perfect quizzes have built the confidence in the learner as course progresses. The lecture videos are very good and helped me to comprehend the concepts. It was a very nice and pleasing learning experience.

By Natnael D

Jul 02, 2019

Extremely well versed and well read instructor with a very good understanding of what is important and what is not so much in an introductory course. Relevant subject matter and the course was laid out in a very organized and logical way. Would recommend to anyone interested in this field.

By Victoria N W

Jun 05, 2020

This course was very easy to follow along with. The videos and the course activities were interactive, tons of important information from all courses. This certificate took me less than a month to complete, working for a couple of hours twice a week. I highly recommend this certification.

By Mya M

Nov 05, 2016

This was very informative course, especially with the optional readings. I learned a lot of the basics around initiating and planning projects as well as the terminology around this area in project management. The videos were informative while being short enough to watch in one sitting.

By Joelle C S

Jun 14, 2016

This is a fantastic introductory course for anyone with Project Management responsibilities. It gives you an overview of the basic skills and requirements needed to be a successful project manager and introduces first techniques on how to best manage scope, key stakeholders and conflict.

By Steph L

Mar 14, 2016

I love this course. I love how I can slow down the video for the professor to speak slowly and she actually does so I can take notes. I also like how she provides you with a slide deck on the lecture so you can also go over that as well to learn (or re-learn) the information. Thank you!

By Gulden U

Mar 12, 2016

Many thanks for this course. I would love it.

Materials of the course are were very exactly formulated and understandable.

Margaret Meloni made this course as colorful with her melody voice and good explanations.

I think i will use knowledge which i got from the course in my future works.

By Khaled A

The videos are rather short, concise, and very informative. Ms Meloni is quite clear and explicit with her explanation and general understanding of the terms she is teaching. Highly recommend this course for anyone who is just starting out their learning process in project management.

By Catherine P

Jun 29, 2017

An excellent introduction to initiating and planning projects for which you are PM. The material was presented in a clear and precise way with frequent reference to PMBOK, allowing further study and reading. I feel like a gained a good overview for this stage of a project as a PM.

By Tomasz R

Oct 16, 2015

This is the best course I have ever seen. Margaret Meloni is an amazing speaker. It's really a pleasure to hear her. Her explanations and real-life examples help understand the topic very fast. I recommend this course to everyone who are in any way related to project management.

By Michelle A C

Oct 15, 2020

I find the course, very informative and challenging. A great reminder of the necessary skills needed to work with people and for people. Keeping in mind, that, all actions should aim to gain a positive impacts on persons, situation, surroundings, etc., at all times

By Simwero J

Oct 26, 2017

Wow! what an experience! The course was so informative, it has ignited my appetite and I'm now thirsting for more and more of such learning. The professor was very excellent in her delivery of the content, I enjoyed the course all the way to the end. Thanks for the opportunity

By Franck

Jun 08, 2016

I just audited this course for free to acquire some additional knowledge about project management. The course is easy to follow, well written, and I enjoyed it. The author gives valuable information about the PMP certification, if this is something that you intend to pursue.

By Erica K

Jun 23, 2016

Informative yet easy for the layperson to understand, this course felt like a great in-depth look at the first two process groups of project management. I feel like I have gained useful skills for a future career in this field and will be continuing with the specialization.

By Alyssa G G

Oct 20, 2020

The course was easy to understand despite using some technical jargon. The exercises made it easier to retain the information learned in a fun way. I appreciated the bonus videos at the end of each week because of the teacher/expert giving practical advise or insights.

By Samintha V

Aug 07, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. If you are a beginner and are just getting into Project Management, this course will be a good fit. The lectures were good and I liked the fact that the course included lessons from the PMBOK to further expand on what you just learned.