Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

MH

Jun 25, 2020

This course provides some practical situation which enriches my acknowledgment about being a responsible in any project and it also helps me to understand the planning process management proficiently!

BS

Jul 06, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

51 - 75 of 3,083 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Burcu G

Apr 12, 2019

Comparing the other courses, this course is very accurate and target-specific. It helped me to understand the project management theoretically and also made me realize how challenging it is by the real examples. I loved all parts but my favorite part is the week 6 which includes the panelists, because they are the real mentors for a new beginner project manager. I am thankful for this course.

By Farah

Mar 29, 2016

a big WOW to Margaret Meloni's style of instructions!

I've tried taking a few online project management course but lost the interest half way, I am determined to complete this one,due to her simple approach of explaining the concepts related,very clear and precise.

My understanding about the project management gets better after listening to her lectures.

Keep up the good work!

By Akshay D

Jun 27, 2020

One of the best Project Management course I have taken so far. The concepts are explained in a simplistic engaging format. The additional PMBOK related material covered through PPTs and as additional videos is extremely helpful and beneficial for someone who is planning to get their PMP certification. Case studies are also very interactive to understand the concepts.

By Melanka J d S

Jun 24, 2020

This course was an excellent course for a Civil Engineer like me who has the potential of becoming a Project Manager in near future. Specially the course content was really high standard, and the presentations were very clear and attractive as well. Also the interviews were very useful in order to get an idea on field exposure.Thank you! Keep it up the great work!

By Nzan P E

Feb 16, 2020

This was very comprehensive and easy to understand with tasks and exercises that was very helpful in implementing every knowledge gained per modules.

The program manager did a good job in breaking it into smaller units/modules for proper understanding. I strongly recommend you take this course if you interested in starting or growing a career in project management.

By jimoh m

May 23, 2020

Great course to learn online for every individual aimed in becoming a successful Project Manager in the construction industry, public and private sector, and organization. I really love and enjoyed my period of learning this course with my Instructor Margaret Meloni, MBA, PMP. Though it requires time, dedication, and commitment. So i have earned my certificate.

By Khurram A

Oct 01, 2015

Excellent course, especially for project managers like me, who have not had a formal training of project management. This course showed me several ways to do things in project planning that I have been doing the same way over the years. It has also impressed upon me, the importance of getting formal education/training to get to a higher level of understanding.

By WatsonWang

Apr 26, 2020

It is a great online course. Although I am not an English speaker, nor having any experiences about initiating and planning project, now I have general ideas about what it is about. The lessons are not too hard to understand but at the same time, they are challenge enough for a beginner like me. So, thank you, UCI, for creating this online course.

By Bill

May 05, 2017

This was an exceptional overview of project management, with a lot of information that was very well presented. I look forward towards finishing this specialization. I took a year long project management program with Boston University and this specialization from UC Irvine is a excellent review of that material. I highly recommend this course.

By Anton D

Oct 15, 2015

The course is a fantastic refresher on basic principles of Project Management. Margaret Meloni presents material in an engaging format. In fact you can see her wealth of experience shine throughout the whole course. Case studies and panel interviews also did add a bit of 'practical' flavour to PMBOK fundamentals. Recommended by a Project Manager!

By Mahmudur R

Jun 29, 2020

Honestly, I didn't know a lot about project management that have learned here. PMBOK guide is really a helpful supplement. And the matrix-based analysis was much more understandable for me. I Experienced as a real project manager. I tried to learn the lessons more efficiently. Thanks to Coursera, UCI, and all the associates for this opportunity.

By Irene I

Oct 08, 2020

This course is unique way to improve project management for professional development of Young project managers. Especially I would like to thank Margaret Maloney ,Course instructor for her patience and simple language to explain and make understand each and every phase in project planning and i would express many thanks for the panelist team.

By Sandeep S

Mar 31, 2020

This was first course with the organization, having 20yrs above experience in the industry. Planned to upgrade my knowledge skills seeking your help. Well must say morale is boosted & feel quite motivated for having learnt the strategic ways of engagement which were missed so far in my role towards the organization working for. Thanking you.

By Amos S U

Jan 28, 2019

This course is highly recommended to all those doing and planning to make projects.

The knowledge and skills in this course can make someone to make and have a successful project.

Great thanks goes to An instructor and the coursera supporters for enabling me to attain these skills and knowledge.

99% are applicable for a successful project.

By Fotios K

Jul 24, 2020

This course really helps understanding the primary phases of project management. Margaret Meloni is excellent in presenting this course. I already knew some basic info about the PMBOK but with this course i have learnt a lot more than previously. I really reccomend this course to anyone wanting to learn how project managements works.

By Asha S

It was an amazing experience learning about projects. This course has helped me understand various ways in which organisations can work. It has also provided me with knowledge to manage human resources. Overall, its a good course for the beginners to get the basics. Thank You to the whole team for University of California, Irvine.

By Alexandra-Veronica T

Apr 24, 2020

I really enjoyed this class. I liked how it was structured and the duration of each video. I was able to take this online class during my work schedule, because it did not impact my program. I enjoyed a lot professor Margaret Meloni and the way she delivered her speeches. She inspired me on how to deliver my own speeche

By MA. J T V

Aug 18, 2020

I am not a business major or something. In fact, I'm a premed student but I find this course very helpful as it can be used in any situation be it something big or small. The course is also well-designed and everything needed is there already. I don't regret taking this course! I think this will help me in the long run!

By Rita D

Sep 02, 2020

Very nice introductory course to PM. Well-balanced in terms of content, with a mix of videos and powerpoint presentations. Really enjoyed the case-studies and the interview with panelists. Easy and comfortable to follow. The instructor did a very good job. Thank you to the whole team for providing this amazing course.

By Yohan S

Jun 02, 2016

Great course. Gave me a good overview, actually more than an overview, of project management. Lecture was to the point and easy to understand. Lessons were presented in a very informative and logical manner. I really enjoyed the video tips at the end of each lesson and the panelist discussion in the last lesson.

By Gregory M

Dec 03, 2017

This course was an excellent introduction to Project Management. The material was well laid out and the pace was good. I recommend that any one challenging the course obtain a copy of the PBOK guide, for the recommended readings. You can successfully complete the course with out it but I found it added depth.

Apr 14, 2016

I found this course to be invigorating, knowledgeable, and relevant. I am very happy I took it. I will be able to immediately use the skills I learned. I hope to learn as much in the next course leading to my goal to a specialization. Thanks for all the support, and making my time here worth all the effort.

By Kenneth L

Mar 22, 2016

This is a well written course, the video lessons are very helpful. Because of Coursera.org, I have improved my knowledge and understanding of project management 100%. This is a big help on my job, thank you so much. Since I am working, being able to stop and come back to finish the lesson is a huge benefit.

By Charles' D

Oct 25, 2020

Excellent course with very course course instructor.

1. My challenge is that sometimes I find it difficult to go back to the course to continue. Sometimes I have to open several mails before I can get to continue my course.

2. Also, pls clarify to me when I can get my certificates for the completed courses.

By MAWIEN M M

May 12, 2020

Thank you very to UCI for such opportunity. I am fully satisfied with the course and I can't wait to get into the next course

I highly recommended this course to those who would like to take Project management as part of their career.

Thank you so much once again Margret Melon , You're really incomparable