Back to Psychological First Aid

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University

Learn to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition. Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience. Participants will increase their abilities to: - Discuss key concepts related to PFA - Listen reflectively - Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions - Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions - Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate - Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support - Practice self-care Developed in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Open Education Lab....

PG
Feb 9, 2017

A very helpful course and full of practical information for persons interfered with disaster relief and crisis intervention as this course has a well- planned syllabus and really informative vignettes

IT
Oct 12, 2020

this opened my mind towards intervention needs in a catastrophic event. something like this is required more than ever now. the content of the course was very good and thorough. very nicely explained.

251 - 275 of 3,583 Reviews for Psychological First Aid

By Luzviminda P

Jun 28, 2020

This course is interesting, engaging and insightful. Once you start the course, you will have the tendency to continue until you finished it. There are a lot of things to learn and revelations about the technique that are very well presented to learners. The passing score is challenging but it will make you study seriously and take down notes while reading and watching videos,

By Mario H M

Nov 2, 2020

it is truly important that we build a resilient community, starting by educating ourselves how to respond to disasters, we might be victims as well, but we need to choose whether to give up and stay victims or to be prepared to do whatever possible to help ourselves first and then others... this is why i highly recommend this course and give it 5 stars without any hesitation.

By Jason C

Jun 22, 2016

A tremendously insightful course, and more relevant than ever as our understanding of disaster situations and mitigating the human cost increases. The acted out scenes were excellent and demonstrated ever so clearly how these interactions unfold. Thank you to the team who put this together and I look forward to future instalments for the university.

Kind Regards

Jason Canning

By SHAWNETTE F W

Sep 30, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course, it has help me as an individual to improve om my listening , it was a refresher to me , the way in which the material was presented it make it easy for you to understand. I was help personally andI know I have learnt a lot and I am confident with the knowledge gained that I can assist if the need arise. Thank you .

By Jack M

Sep 16, 2020

It's been a wonderful experience and an opportunity in learning PFA as it has such a wide scope of implementing what's been learnt in our daily lives and in implementing the principles to make other people's lives better. By taking to this course it's broadened my understanding of PFA and how I can become a better person both from the inside and outside. Thank you Coursera.

By Christine C

May 16, 2020

This course was clear and easy to understand. While the assessments were helpful, at some later date, being able to practice these techniques live would be helpful. Otherwise, having taken some Disaster Chaplaincy courses, this course gave me a new paradigm for material I had already learned and was an effective refresher. Dr. Everly is a clear and compassionate teacher.

By Joanna M J

Apr 24, 2020

This course taught me how to deeply understand what PFA really means that this is not really about therapy but rather a way of stopping the worst scenario that might happen. I hope that I can be able to learn more on helping other people in times of crisis. Thank you, Johns Hopkins University for sharing this wonderful topic with us for free. More powers to this university!

By Maria J P

Feb 5, 2021

Very complete crash course of PFA. I completed it in a week because it was so interesting that I didn't want to stop. The course has detailed modules for each section and with concrete examples and simulations. I would like for it to have links to resources of more advanced courses (even if not from Coursera) so those interested can advance in their skills and preparation.

By Ariadne A

Dec 6, 2020

I enjoyed learning the material in this course, incredibly apt for where we are as a society today and the things we are experiencing. I hope more people can start by learning here, and then move forward with further resources and training. We definitely need more PFA practitioners/responders in our local communities and the drive to support and look out after one another.

By Edvinas S

Nov 17, 2020

I have thoroughly enjoyed the course. Information presented by George Everly was easy to understand, very useful to know for any human being I believe and very concise. The course was short yet very on point with very little non-essential information. Videos are of good quality with good examples and engaging to watch.

Thank you very much and I wish you all the best.

Edvinas

By Yeo S K

Apr 18, 2020

Informative and well paced for novice with no experience or any exposure to this field. Think it is a good platform to access as well whether one it really keen to continue in this field or atleast get a rough idea what this field entitles and if still interested to pursue it.

Keep up the great work and hope to have more online courses like this for other psychology field.

By Sara A A M

Jun 25, 2020

Excelente curso, George muestra una gran sensiblidad a la hora de abordar este tema, es transparente y te dice claramente lo que es y no es correcto hacer en este tipo de intervento. He apreciado muchísimo cada etapa del curso, sus ejemplos prácticos, la manera tan profesional que se lleva a cabo el PFA sin dejar de parte la empatia, un curso equilibrado.

Lo recomiendo!

By Deborah C

Apr 22, 2020

This course was very helpful, interesting, and relevant. The due importance was given for psychological health following a disaster. I also love that this model focuses on local communities being first responders as well. Dr. Everly had useful analogies to support his explanations, I also loved the ending bit on self-care- this part is often left out in courses like this!

By Godwin

Jul 13, 2019

This is the convenient site to equip you with the best skills you want to use in helping those who have mental issues,though not only that but give you the right foundation when you want to deal with matters of psychology education-wise.I thank you for the financial aid for the certificate i obtained i know it will be of great help to me and those who will need my skills.

By Manuel C

Sep 7, 2020

Excellent introductory course for people not directly trained as psychologists, but that want to know how to react or engage with people in distress. I work in development and fond this useful also for compassionate, active listening which is good also beyond post-traumatic situations. Thanks a lot for the course, congratulations and again, a totally recommended course!

By Sofía V d l T A L

Oct 8, 2020

This course was excellent! The videos, the materials, the explanation of the concepts and the overall structure of it were, undoubtedly, very well prepared. These tools are higly relevant in disaster and everyday-life situations and I know for sure that I'll do my best to apply the ideas I learned in order to help other people. I'm so glad I finished it! It is a 10/10!

By Maria B

Dec 22, 2017

I felt very accomplished with what I have learned so far and I highly believe that I could make use of this in my future work in the field of Psychology. The course has also given me added motivation to continue with my professional development and look for relevant trainings locally where I can incorporate what I have learned and/or share them with others. Thank you!

By Rhoby C

Jun 20, 2020

I am so grateful that I studied and engaged with this online course about psychological first aid. This is my first time studying this course. And I believe that my confidence in handling crisis intervention has surged. Honestly speaking, I really recommend this course to all different practitioners. I hope you will enjoy this course as much as I enjoyed this course.

By Aedrian A

Jan 12, 2021

This course is eye-opening in the sense that it shows that anyone can make a difference in the lives of acute event survivors even in seemingly-"little" ways such as rendering systematic and appropriate psychological first aid. The RAPID model emphasizes community involvement since even non-professionals can do it as long as they are compassionate and conscientious.

By Cherlyn L

Apr 28, 2020

This course is a good course. Good content, easy enough for someone totally new to this topic yet very informative and easy to adopt in everyday's life. Not just after a crisis, but can be adapted in just about any situation everyday. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is looking to be able to better communicate with people. its a great soft skill to have!

By Beatriz A S M

Apr 29, 2020

It was comprehensive and fairly easy to understand even for those outside of mental health professions. It taught me a lot and the simulations were a great way to receive a glimpse of what could possibly transpire between a responder and person who needs assistance. I may not have been able to purchase a certificate, but this is my best learning investment to date!

By Susana A B

Jul 28, 2017

This is a very useful course. The contents are clear, easily understood and it offers a valuable tool for the primary psycholoogical care of victims of catastrophes or violent situations. The quality of the examples show the mastery of the teacher, his years of practice and his wise empathy. Thank you for sharing so generously your life experiences and your method.

By Skurenko S S

Jan 12, 2017

I am very thankful for the opportunity to attend this course. Given information in it is too valuable, although I'd wish the course was more extensive. Separetely I want to admit the mastery of a teacher - George Everly, who gave information qualitatively and made interesting video stimulations. I hope to see the next "chapter" of the course or something like that.

By Terence F E A

Nov 11, 2020

It was a very good course in helping the emergency helper go through the various techniques to help the victim overcome her distress in a very difficult and unexpected situation.

Thank you for providing us with the tools needed and it was a very good way to help those in need when we are fully equipped with the correct techniques to use in their difficult moments.

By Silvia C

Mar 15, 2017

I found it very insteresting I learned that many of the things that we do to help people are actually called interventions and are valuable skills. I like the order, the vocabulary and the examples. What I don't like is the price of the certificate I will be willing to pay no more than 30 dlls. I am interested in many courses but I can't pay 45 dlls. For each :(