Back to Psychological First Aid

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Psychological First Aid by Johns Hopkins University

Learn to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition. Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience. Participants will increase their abilities to: - Discuss key concepts related to PFA - Listen reflectively - Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions - Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions - Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate - Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support - Practice self-care Developed in collaboration with Johns Hopkins Open Education Lab....

PG

Feb 10, 2017

A very helpful course and full of practical information for persons interfered with disaster relief and crisis intervention as this course has a well- planned syllabus and really informative vignettes

NL

Apr 05, 2020

The course is made in a very easy to learn and practical way. The RAPID model is easy to remember and can be very helpful in demanding events, such as the actual global situation and its consequences.

251 - 275 of 2,285 Reviews for Psychological First Aid

By Brenda M B

May 09, 2020

This course is very informative. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to self improve especially during this pandemic. As the world maneuvers through the fall out of COVID-19 the need for PFA will be needed starting from the individual self to family and extending toward the greater community.

By Folashade A

May 13, 2020

I learnt so much in this course. As someone who loves to help people in disaster and traumatic situations, and having little experience this course is all I need to know the basics of how to fuel my intervention passion. It worth every bit of my time and I am more enlightened! I am glad I took this course.

By Nima A

May 06, 2020

If like me, you have no background in this field then this course is for you! It introduces the basics in an understandable way with the help of several simulation videos. Also, you may find this short course useful in your daily life in case some sort of a traumatic event happens to a loved one of yours.

By Anna Z

Apr 09, 2017

This was my first organized class post B.A. and I found it to be a great class that was well organized with a knowledgeable instructor and would recommend it to others. I have dyslexia and ADD PI so these characteristics are important to me and I would be eager to take more classes from George. Thank you.

By Ursula C

Jun 10, 2020

It is a very valuable curse. It shows the general abilities a person should have to help through a disaster. It is not intended to specialize as therapist or psychologist, it is a very useful training for making a person who is going through a moment of disaster feel better or making an assertive referal.

By nourhan m m a

Apr 06, 2020

totally loved the material and the way the data was provided and getting involved by simulation was my favorite part. this will always push me to know more about handling the mental health of my patients and my community. the most important thing is that i am feeling prepared to help in the time of need.

By Vasumathi

May 07, 2020

This course was excellent, it has given me insight of how to look at a person who need psychological first aid in an objective way. Being a Yoga teacher we meet people with different needs all the time and the R.A.P.I.D model could be effectively used in our field work also. Thanks Doctor George Everly.

By Thalia R

Jun 15, 2020

En este curso he aprendido mas de lo que imaginaba, me ayudado ha comprender como se debería intervenir en una situación de vulnerabilidad, este curso es de gran importancia no solo para el psicólogo, sino para otras personas que se dedican a la salud publica, educadores, servidores de emergencia ,etc.

By Wareewan P

I always think, I am the one who help other (in term of psychological support) and I will always be ok with that! This course make me get back to myself and asked. Is that true? Dr. George make me realise that the first person I have to take care of is myself. Thank you to you. This course’s so helpful

By Theresa C

Mar 20, 2019

Great summary of Psychological triage and skills that can be used in the field. The steps were simple but not diluted and helped me to be able to put them into practice immediately. The course centers around a practical scenario so that it is easy to translate the knowledge and information into praxis.

By Mike C P

Jun 09, 2020

The lectures are not so complicated and easy to follow in a concise and beautiful manner. The simulations are realistic which can really teach you the proper and practical PFA. One other thing, the instructor, Dr. George, seems to be so kind and compassionate as he delivers his lectures on the videos.

By Marissa P

Jun 07, 2020

I highly recommend this course to everyone. It's updated, comprehensive and well-paced. All the lessons taught are very helpful in the practice of PFA. Thank you so much for the valuable learning experience. I gained so much confidence in practicing PFA, and doing it right, ethically and effectively.

By Divya G

May 22, 2020

As a mental health professional, I am trained to provide psychotherapy and intervention but this course was a refreshing experience that gave me insight into how can I be most useful in a trauma situation where there is a gap from a person stabilizing to committing to a long term therapy (if needed)

By Erin E M

Feb 27, 2020

This course gave me a better understanding of how to assess and build rapport with people in a crisis, which in the long term will help with my dream of participating in doctors without borders. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is working in the healthcare or public health fields.

By Armando V M

Feb 14, 2016

Amazing course! Exactly what I expected, and more. Thank you for take the time to create a good and understandable course in an engaging way. If you are thinking to make another specialized on this, count me in!

I look forward to hear about new courses from Johns Hopkins University.

Thank you!

Armando

By Alberto J P L

Apr 23, 2020

Thanks for putting up this course. Great simulation presentation, very clear to understand, all the process along was great. I've learned a lot about Psychological First Aid, and I had fun too. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to educate more about the subject. It'll be worth it.

By Dhurjati s

Apr 10, 2020

The course helped me to realise that it is not important to be a psychologist to help people with distress. My presence and my support can also help them. Very informative and interesting course. I recommend others to try it and try to learn a different mean of first aid. It is sure worth our time.

By Achour A M

Oct 27, 2016

Very interesting Course. Thank you very much Prof. George.

By the way, "PFA" was the main topic for the celebration of the "World Mental Health Day 2016" led by WHO and WFMH. Refering to the official document from WFMH, PFA is also presented as part of the dignity of mentally ill.

Bravo again.

Achour

By Anita

Mar 06, 2016

I really liked this course. It gave me a lot of useful information about crisis intervention. The lectures bring the reality pretty close and practice simulation videos are extremely helpful in stimulating insights and awareness of delicate details in this support work. Much appreciated. Thank you.

By Андрей П

Jun 14, 2020

I'm really grateful for this magnificent introduction in Psychological First Aid field! I definitely sure that learned skills and philosophy (not technique!) will be positively useful in my future life. Special thanks to professor George Everly who shared his huge experience and knowledge with us!

By Kshama J

Jan 20, 2017

It helped me learn about PFA and grow as a person. I think everyone should take this course in the interest of mankind, and in the interest of the community. The course material is so so good. Thankyou to Dr Everly and the great team from John Hopkins University Bloomberg school of Public health.

By Charlie T

Apr 07, 2020

An excellent course offering a grounding in psychological first aid techniques. I hope that this course gets the recognition it deserves, and allows people to feel that they can make a difference if they choose this method in the Coronavirus era that we find ourselves in. Thank you to Dr Everley!

By Frédéric L

Oct 06, 2018

Remarquable instructor. Great course material. Good use of engagement/encouragement techniques for helping students reach the end.

I have no professional need for the course, but I learned skills that will help me interact with others in my daily life, and I believe also in situations of distress.

By Carol

Dec 22, 2016

I really enjoyed taking this course. I found that right from the beginning I became a better listener for my friends and family and they took notice. I know this course will be a launching pad to help me help others in the future as well as make it easier for me to identify if I need help myself.

By Star R

Aug 31, 2016

Excellent,its soo good to be able to do this course on-line. As a professional, I feel this course has enlightened me to better serve our communities in the event of a disaster or any kind of trauma. I never want to be unprepared in case someone is in trouble. TAKE THE COURSE. IT IS EXCELLENT.