Back to Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python by University of Michigan

In the capstone, students will build a series of applications to retrieve, process and visualize data using Python. The projects will involve all the elements of the specialization. In the first part of the capstone, students will do some visualizations to become familiar with the technologies in use and then will pursue their own project to visualize some other data that they have or can find. Chapters 15 and 16 from the book “Python for Everybody” will serve as the backbone for the capstone. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Informative course
(132 Reviews)
Relevant project
(132 Reviews)

BC
Apr 28, 2020

Now I understand how data mining, API's and dumping and retrieving data from a database works. Excellent course to start understanding how python can be used to work with data sources on the internet.

NS
Apr 9, 2016

Python for everyone is One of the Best Course on MOOC platform .\n\nDr. Chuck made it interesting and Knowledgeable. Way back 3 Months ,I can't even thing of the stuff that I leaned and implemented .

26 - 50 of 1,453 Reviews for Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python

By Z S

Jul 7, 2020

The course content is great. But I have a serious compalin to make fro coursera:

In this courses there are several peer assignments, you need to get enough reviews from the peers to get the grade, in order to complete the course. But there are bot enough peers to review my assignments(not means my assignments are wrong). I tried to asked help for both coursera help center and in the course forum, but still did not get enough peer grade.

Because of this I did not finish the last course of the specailization, and have being charged for extra 5 or 6 month......

It's really makes me very upset and now I decided to cancel this course in order not to be charged again and again, and did not get my specailization cetificate, even i finish all assignments...........

By Nipun S

Apr 10, 2016

Python for everyone is One of the Best Course on MOOC platform .

By Abigail W

Jul 25, 2020

I have been with Charles Russell Severance since the very first course.From my first print ('hello world'). All the way to creating databases, parsing the web and creating visualizations with data.To be honest it makes me kind of sad knowing that my journey with Charles Russell Severance is almost complete.Computers and Technology is my passion this will always be one of the courses I will remember for the rest of my life. Because it gave me a good foundation.I have tried to learn python on many other occasions but I never seem to have followed through.I just 'clicked' with Charles :). He's funny, passionate and an amazing teacher.Emerson once said, and I quote "Since we are all related, I believe we have met through these lectures..."from a grateful student,Cape Town, South Africa

By Edward F

May 31, 2017

I took the Python Specialization, which included this course, so I'm going to provide the same review for each of the component courses.

I think this is an excellent course for beginning programmers. Python is a great language for someone starting out - easy to learn - with a lot of power available for more advanced projects (e.g., machine learning).

But, most of all, you have to love Dr. Serverance. I can't think of a more entertaining and enjoyable person to teach programming. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By ATHARVA S B

Sep 3, 2020

Awesome course and best Capstone Project with best Instructor. Thank you for this course. Everyone going through this Python for Everybody Specialisation must complete this course with honors because its great!!!

By Diego N F

Jun 22, 2019

It's an excellent course!! Im glad to do it. Thaks to everyone who made it possible.

By Amit K

Oct 24, 2018

This course helped me a lot in understanding the web and the data retrieval from it.

By Abrar W

Jun 3, 2019

Beautiful Course. Worth your time . Dr. Chuck is amazing

By Allen B

May 30, 2019

one of the best python courses

By ASHISH B

Sep 26, 2020

Dr. Chuck, a long time ago, probably 2 years ago or so, I enrolled in your first Python course after trying several times to learn programming with no success. Before my enrollment, I was deeply impressed by the fact that you're so courteous and generous to allow everybody to use your precious teaching materials (books, slides, videos, etc.) for no charge. I thought to myself, "Not so many people do this these days, who is this guy??". After watching the first video, I could not stop ever since. Your presentations are outstanding and quite engaging. Your sense of humor is amazing. The effort that you put into your slides never went unnoticed. The writing style of your Python book is very nice. Everything you say or write shows how passionate you are about your work. But, what is even more impressing is the amount of time and effort that you give for no charge to help others. Obviously, you could have made thousands of dollars if you used your time and efforts otherwise, but, fortunately, you chose another route, which, in fact, pays off in the long run. Probably, you did not get as much money as you deserve, but you helped many thousands of people who needed help and made them so much grateful to you. Now, thousands of people in all corners of the world know about the unique, quality work that you deliver.

By Phuoc N H H

Oct 31, 2020

The instructor grade of the 3rd honor assignment "Visualizing Email Data" is not reasonable. I just miss 1 list in the 1st screen shot, and the instructor give me grade 1. If the instructor think that this is not my work, the instructor can contact me so that I can give more detail. Besides, I also explain this when flagging a review from another guy with my comment, but I am not sure if the instructor has already considered and read my comment of the flag or not. Currently, I still pass this assignment, but I will wait to see if I can resubmit to improve my grade.

Besides, I think it is better to mention clearly what we need to include in the screen shot at each question instead of putting these information in the assignment description so that people can focus and read more easily.

By Jason H

Feb 27, 2018

This course was interesting in terms of introducing us to some more complex concepts and demonstrating some very simple visualization but I would have preferred having to apply what we learned on some variations of the data we had worked with so far. I might feel this way bc I struggled to do all of the things we have learned with the data source I chose (financial data for companies). I felt like a pet hamster released into the wild that was quickly scooped up by an owl. I felt like the "real world" application presented many issues that I never encountered and struggled to diagnose from stack overflow, etc. Overall, the course was valuable but I've got a long way to go before I can do something meaningful. The capstone to me was a missed opportunity (although it may be hard to do something meaningful at scale for a programming project where people are choosing their own data).

By Sajid S

Jun 4, 2020

The instructor did a great job when it comes to resources. Dr. Severance is very enthusiastic and passionate about teaching, at least, I can assume from the video and his work. As a constructive feedback, I would strongly suggest that there should be more long+challenging projects in the specializations. Having experiences in challenging projects really help us in finding jobs and also excelling in industries. VERY CHALLENGING PROJECTS ARE A GREAT RETURN ON INVESTMENT ON TECHNICAL ACADEMIC COURSES.

By Saurabh J

May 11, 2016

You are not actually writing any code for this particular course. The assignments are just taking screenshots of running code that is already provided to you in the code repository for this course. The lectures are great, there is a lot to learn from them but the assignments are a total bust. Not worth it for the money, but go for it if you want to complete the entire specialization

By Milton C M P

Jan 16, 2019

While the other courses for this specialization have been awesome this one was a little disappointing as it was simply a commentary on code that we should have been able to analyze by ourselves after going the through the previous courses. Dr. Chuck is a wonderful teacher however i wish this one had been a more hand-on course like the previous ones

By Carl T

Nov 18, 2019

Always enjoy Dr. Chuck's teaching and am very grateful to him. Wish this Capstone was a little more intense, though. I was expecting to do some programming and pull together everything I learned in the previous 4 courses. Instead, it was mostly running programs and doing screenshots, which was very easy and not challenging.

By daniel m

Aug 22, 2018

I enjoyed the specialization a lot, overall! Absolutely fantastic teaching by Dr. Chuck, I learned so much. Unfortunately, the capstone didn't have the right structure for me. The required assignments didn't really teach anything new, it was just run this code and take screenshots. The " can anyone review my assignment" forum spam was just sad, and I think a better solution must be found for the course conclusion. The optional data visualization assignment is great, but I don't feel I had the tools necessary to complete it yet. I do plan to come back to it after I learn a bit more.

By Dmitry E

May 9, 2019

It's not such interesting as previous courses. Mostly it contains some practical solutions which you have to execute (with some small changes).

Peer review assignment are very frustrating. Teacher assistant grades are very strange (i.e. bad screenshot, bad browser, etc. and you can't update them to improve your score).

I have to wait a week to have my assignments reviewed (not 1-2 days) - be sure to submit them more then week before month end or you will be charged for the next month due to subscription!

By Grace

Feb 7, 2019

Bad experience with grades not get in on time. Have to had back and forth btw the instructor and support.

By Milap S

Dec 13, 2018

Not much to learn from project perspective. This course definitely needs improvement.

By Joyce T M L

Aug 13, 2019

As my subscription expiry draws close, staff grading comes to an excruciating delay. I completed 3 assignments over 2 days as assignments were quite simple only requiring one to run downloaded script. Yet, after about 1 week, staff has only graded 1st assignment. The second/third assignments were still pending (2 days after 1st assignment was graded). Checking out the forum tells of the same experience by others, desperately waiting for grading before subscription is due for another fresh month. Staff response to Forum reminds one that grading can take 2-3 days. Interesting that staff took time to remind one of weekend cross over, that staff needs to rest, does not spend the same time to grade the multitudes of grading requests. I have no choice to let my subscription lapse, grading or not.

By Jeffrey R

Jul 7, 2020

I loved the other courses in this specialization but this one just really didn't make sense with the others. Before we were learning skills at basic levels and combining them to make bigger and bigger code. I was excited to write a more in-depth program for the final project especially since it said we would make something using our own datasets. It turns out it just meant running already complete code on targets of our choice. The videos were just basically reading line by line complex blocks of code larger than anything we have made, lots of glossed over stuff like java script files, very confusing naming of variables in the python code. It's like we just learned how to drive and then someone put us in the passenger seat of a racecar and is like "look at you you're a professional racer!"

By Luciene M L

Oct 31, 2019

When I decided do the Python for everyone especialization there was nothing about this course be offer only a few times in a year. If I get to know this I must to read the little letters on the describe of this especific course (one of five courses of the especialization). At the end I spend two monthsand paid two tuintons to get the certificate because of it and this last course is just execute the programms without make a single chance (copy and paste).

By Myles A S

Feb 20, 2020

I completed Week 1 in less than a day and was told that I had passed the Specialization. I was unable to proceed with Weeks 2-7 which are optional honors projects. I was told by Coursera support that I should have done Week 1 last. I posted the message on the Discussion Forum. I am very disappointed and did not get value for this course.

By Nils W

Feb 28, 2019

The course per se is great but I thought it would be more hands on programming. It is more like run the code and make some little changes. The instructor grading is just strange and frustrating. Never seen such hard and unreliable grading system.

I wouldn´t recomend the course when one don´t want to finish the specialisation.