Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM Skills Network

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

HM

Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

MA

May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.

From basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.

It's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

3951 - 3975 of 4,687 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Natallia J

May 24, 2021

Die Fragen der Quiz waren manchmal merkwürdig. Manchmal war die Formulierung der Antworten so komisch, dass man einfach raten musste, was konnte der Autor als eine richtige Antwort meinen (denn genau genommen gab es Keine richtige Antwort zwischen den Varianten). Manchmal war die Auswahl der Varianten so ausgewählt, dass es nicht möglich war, falsch zu beantworten(egal ob man Kenntnisse erworben hat oder nicht), weil die falsche Antworten VIEL ZU offensichtlich falsch waren.

Ich hatte den Eindruck, der Autor hat sich bei den Quizen nicht viel Mühe gemacht.

By Mayuresh B

Apr 27, 2020

The course was informative at the beginning. However, the quizzes in the middle of the videos are too easy and oddly placed. The final quizzes are pretty straight forward too. There's no practice involved as such. The final Dashboard project wastes a lot of time trying to focus on IBM buckets, credentials and setup and whatnot instead of actually teaching how to use python for data visualization and AI. I really believe the course could've been more in sync with the course title. Many of the topics were left off in the middle and were not taught in-depth.

By Farnaz N

Apr 27, 2021

For those who are looking for AI development specifically, this is not the right course for you. It focuses on basics for the first 4 weeks and APIs in the last week. It never really talks about AI packages or development methods, as I thought it would.

If you are a total beginner in Python, this course along with some more rigorous practice on your own, could suffice. But if you have done a few real projects this will be too basic for you.

The lab modules DID NOT work for me from week 3 onwards! Come on IBM, please do something about the cloud system!

By Dianna C

Jul 8, 2019

Like many others have said, the interface on IBM cloud is not the same as described in instructions. I ended up spending more time in setting up (or just getting to the place I'm supposed to go) than doing the work. I know I can ask for help in the forum, but I may or may not get a response and if I do get a response, it may be days later. On top of that, the response may or not help in resolving my issue.

The material is quite easy. I'm completely new to Python, but still I feel the exercises are too easy.

The videos are clear and concise, however.

By Stefano M

Mar 5, 2020

The course is well done, the Jupiter notebooks are clearly explained, etc.

However, despite the rather ambitious title, the course is extremely basic. I think it took me 2-3h to go through the entire course. Based on the title, I was expecting the course to cover also advanced topics such as ways to treat large datasets, etc. It is basically just a very basic introduction.

Also, some assignment require signing up for IBM services (for free), which is a bit of a hassle. It would be easier to just use notebooks and automatic grading of assignments.

By Brandon S

Dec 4, 2020

Focused too much on demonstrating IBM technologies. A couple labs were great, particularly the Strings and Classes ones, where you were demonstrated concepts and then challenged with an open ended question, having to explore the libraries or use resources to write the script and learn through practice. Otherwise, multiple sections on how to navigate IBM Cloud and create projects is not particularly applicable knowledge. I appreciate the work put in to the course structure, but it felt like I had paid for an advertisement at times.

By Josh H

Jul 26, 2020

A decent introduction to the basics of programming in Python, I found the Jupyter notebooks for the labs to be pretty useful. However, the final peer-graded project is problematic in that it outright states that sharing your Jupyter notebook is OPTIONAL, but upon submitting and looking at the rubric for peer grading, I found out that it was one out of five required points for a 100% score. Not a big deal, but I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to assignments, especially finals, so that was irritating to say the least.

By Sisir K

Jan 21, 2019

The final assignment at the end of week 5 has little to do with what's taught in weeks 1 through 4. This caused a lot of confusion and hence made it very difficult for a lot of the students (as seen on the forum section) to complete the assignment. For help on the final assignment, here's a link to a helpful post by Aronis Mariano, without whose help I would probably not have been able to finish the assignment.

By Miranda C

Jun 5, 2020

There were non-credit parts of this course (specifically on API, and the process to create credentials in IBM Cloud for the final assignment) I was unable to complete because the instructions were erroneous or incomplete. When posting questions regarding these sections in the forums, I received 0 responses. Thus I feel like there are large gaps for me in the course material. I only hope that as I am doing the Data Science certificate program, there will be enough repetition that I won't be completely confused and behind.

By Walid B

Jun 14, 2022

Overall, it is a good course to discover the data science field since it introduces the main libraries used for Data Science (Pandas and Numpy). However, this course misses a seperate section of the Matplotlib library used for data visualization.

In addition, the sub-section "Working with Files" should not be included with Webscraping and API section and should constitute a seperate section. Consequently, the sub-section "WorkingWithDifferentFileTypes" should be included in the "Working with Files" section.

By Scott

Jun 13, 2019

A decent quick overview of the basics, and I found it worth my time, but only just barely: the videos are narrated by a computer voice (they couldn't even find a human to teach it?), some outdated Python 2 techniques are still included, and the whole thing is a bit of a plug for IBM's online services, including Watson, which you have to sign up for to complete assignments. But yeah, it takes you through the motions and teaches you enough Python to drive out of the parking lot, so to speak, so overall it's fine.

By Elijah M

Aug 2, 2022

The course is great for people who have previous experience with python but not so much otherwise. The pacing of the course starts off strong in the first week or two, but quickly speeds up. This would not be an issue if adaquet explanation and practice were given before moving on. Oftentimes terms were used in modules that were not explicitly defined until multiple modules later which is disorienting when you are trying to learn a programming language. Great refresher course, but not fully for the beginner.

By Karen N

Apr 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course. However, I felt that there was a huge jump in the complexity of the subject matter between Weeks 3 and 4. I'm a newbee to Python, and Week 4 absolutely did not feel like a beginner's course, whereas the first three weeks were easy to digest. The videos were mostly good and informative, although I found that they rush through the material very quickly. I had to rewatch some of the videos multiple times to understand the concepts. The final project was challenging but enjoyable.

By Juan P S

Apr 13, 2020

Good for learning basic Python concepts and how to use them in theory. However, do keep in mind that it doesn't teach much about how to use a text editor or any type of software to code and run actual programs on your system. The course uses the IBM Watson notebook, which is implemented in a way with very little practical value. I feel like I came out of this course knowing a lot about Python but to gain practical knowledge and be able to make my own programs I had to research outside of it.

By Carlos

Oct 21, 2020

Im not a person who reviews things but I felt this may be helpful to some. As someone with no knowledge in programming whatsoever I found this difficult. Clearly, this is to be expected when diving into something new and my review is based off how i feel after completing everything. But I found this to be very challenging. Practice makes perfect, I didn't feel like this was beginner education. Hopefully over time ill understand better. Good luck to you all!

By Gouri B

Jan 12, 2020

This course is good for python beginners and to also receive a hands-on training for the same.However when it comes to Data science,this particular course does not offer or rather meet its expectations.

The final assignment requires an account creation on IBM's Watson Studio,not following which you wont be graded.So that was like a turn-off for me because assessment mostly relies on successful creation of a Watson Studio account rather than the core subject

By Sergio E

May 1, 2020

Pretty solid foundations and labs. Would have given 5 stars but the course lacks coherence regarding the videos and different services(cloud.ibm, skills network labs) that are made available to students.

If one is already acquainted with the subject matter it is not difficult to navigate around these wrinkles. New students might find getting lost on silly steps of what the video shows and what the website actually shows adds unnecessary frustration.

By Mallory S

Apr 26, 2022

this course offers a good python scaffolding for working with data, but it suffers from a lack of proofreading such that the narration doesn't always match the text onscreen (or the reality of what's happening). also, i would love to see line breaks in the code that appears in quizzes, as well as more informative function and variable names. as a consolation prize, there was a section of video that completely redefined the word "square" for me.

By Thanh-Long N

Oct 19, 2021

T​he course did not provide what I expected from a Python course for Data Science. The parts of Pandas and Numpy which are very important in Data Science should be more focused with better explanation and exercises! Moreover, there are so many quizzes that are duplicated with the ones already shown in the video lectures, so as some practical assignments. Anyway, it delivered some valuable information that could be helpful for learners.

By Mario

Mar 14, 2022

T​his course was very difficult. I did not understand what I was learning most of the time as it lacked the practical applications to data analytics like the other modules. I felt the formulas of python were just presented, and I couldn't pause the screen to maybe copy the formulas on screen as it just went black. I will have to supplement this with outside resources to ensure that I fully understand the basics of Python.

By CH

Jun 30, 2019

While I learned a lot in this course, it could have been a more enjoyable process. The videos and labs basically had the same content. However, the labs are a better learning experience (can run code and see results) but come later, making them less valuable and boring. Please consider having the lab content be more unique, as it was in the previous course. Also, please update the materials as Watson Studio changes.

By Clifton S J

Jul 23, 2020

The videos and labs were helpful and the course does help one learn some Python fundamentals. However, I believe that the labs and quizzes could have been improved. More exercises within the lab environment would be beneficial to promote learning. The weak point of the course is that the tutorials for using IBM Cloud were weak. More information and walkthroughs (including videos) should have been provided.

By Adrienn K

Nov 19, 2019

Good content overall but weird level requirements; the course covers too many basics for somebody who already programs but also assumes a lot and therefore is not adapted to someone who has never programmed.

It relies on external platforms that will not always work.

Instructional and useful nevertheless, recommend if you're already familiar with data analysis (in R for instance) and want further knowledge.

By Vincent Z

Jan 20, 2019

An adequate python crash course. The level is good for complete beginners. People with computer science background will find this slow. Also, the labs and the lectures are completely redundant, they almost match 1:1, except that the labs often fix a few mistakes in the slides. Don't expect a great numpy intro: you will basically get array creation, indexing and slicing and basic vector/matrix operations.

By Radwan n

I am new to python I used it for the first time in this course. I found the course to be well organized. I liked the labs and how they are organized and well written. I found the course to be hands-on which I needed. I did have some background using MATLAB and found that to be useful, however, there are some differences in the syntax and the data structures.

There are not many self-learning assignments