Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

201 - 225 of 4,098 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Joanne C

Feb 17, 2021

Though I do feel like I learned some things from this course, I was not very happy with the way the material was presented. The first half of the labs were great, but the second half was way beyond what was being taught in this course and difficult to follow. I ended up skipping those sections and still did well on the quizzes. I think those portions need to be removed. There were also a few quizzes with answer errors. It took several times of answering the same thing for it to accept it as the correct answer. If I had it to do over again, I would learn Python somewhere else.

By Taz P

Sep 18, 2018

Maybe it's a good introductory course for Python, however, I got an impression that the authors gave up three quarters into the course. The labs become more of a reading material rather than a place where you can practice a hands-on approach. The final assessment - omg, I fail to see any relevance between the course material and what is expected in the final assignment! The only lesson I have learnt from it is that I shouldn't trust online courses to learn a subject.

I would not recommend this course to other people.

By Emma M

May 29, 2021

This is described as a beginner's course in Python. In the labs, the examples you are given are basic and easy-to-follow examples that DO make sense. However, then, in the activities, they give you wildly more difficult tasks are nearly impossible to create on your own without looking at the solution while writing the activity's code.

If you would like to have a basic course on Python that will actually train you on how to use it and be more of a staggering difficultly level, I would recommend NOT taking this course.

By Alessio B

Nov 10, 2020

The Coursera's curse hits again. I can't recall an entire specialization in which, at some point, I didn't feel completely lost. In this instance it took 4 courses. I don't know what happened in the 4th week but personally I would have spread the content into 2-3 more weeks, with way more practical exercises and examples.

The final project more or less comes out of nowhere, there is definetely not enough material to face the 4th question (unless you had previous experience with Python).

By Elizabeth S

Nov 30, 2020

This course is a good base, but is really in need of an overhaul. The fundamental pieces are there, but the material is riddled with typos, expectations of reading tutorials that don't exist anymore, and incomplete instructions that leave you in the dark. I wish they would not skip over concepts as they are introduced, but instead give even a short blurb about what it is so that we get used to seeing the more complicated code that is "skipped over".

By Filip C

Aug 8, 2020

I'll start with saying that whoever designed this course knows nothing about how to educate people. Have you tried going though it? The video lectures are read by a voice that sounds like a robot. Also, majority of things taught here have zero context on how we can use them to solve actual data problems. The final exam is a joke, not because the course is good, but because it's objectively speaking easy. Overall, an educational disaster.

By Amr M A E

Dec 5, 2020

The first three corses in this professional certificate were very good and was taking me step by step. But in this course, everything is just running and jumping steps. The videos, quizzes, and the first part of labs are in a level, and the final assesment in the end of each lab is in a whole other level especiall in week 3 and 4.

By Stephen P

Feb 16, 2021

I guess this course is currently being updated and transitioned to a new course, but the labs include material that is never covered in the videos, there is a steep increase in difficulty, and the course is NOT a "beginner-friendly, no experience required" introduction to Python as advertised. This course needs a major overhaul.

By Daniel S

Dec 4, 2018

It has some errors between the narrator and what's shown on the course.

I had to rewatch the videos a few times to understand that what was being shown wasn't the same thing the narrator was explaining.

Also, the submission of the assignment wasn't working and nobody from Coursera would step in to answer/fix the issue.

By DANG D D

Apr 22, 2021

I was stuck in Week 4 and 5 as the exercises are far different from what I (and I believe other students as well) have been taught from the videos and labs. I do think you need to restructure the course to be easily understandable for all of students.

By Sreeja D

Dec 2, 2020

Not a beginner's course. Because I learnt some python I understood the concepts which I know but "objects and classes" concepts are not at all clear. I wanted IBM to improve and make it beginner's course.

By Omar G

Jan 11, 2019

The course content is good while the final assignment is not related to the content or even the labs and it will be quite difficult for practitioners with non-technical background

By Tiago D C

Mar 10, 2019

I was expecting more about Data Science, as mostly was a quick introduction to Python. It took one afternoon to do 5 "weeks" of work. Perhaps too easy to be connected with IBM.

By Lauren C

x

k

By Nicholas F

Nov 24, 2020

My goodness this was wrought with errors. There were a lot of incomplete concepts and poor examples.

By Omar O

Apr 3, 2021

It is not suitable for enrolled students with minimal knowledge on programming and Python

By Bernhard M

Mar 21, 2019

Failures in grammar, logic and wording.

By Shilpa K N

Dec 7, 2018

too easy

By Ann-Katrin M

Jun 18, 2021

W​orst of the IBM Data Science Prof. Cert. so far. I disliked almost every part of it.

T​ypos throughout all slides and exercises, labs almost never worked online and had to be downloaded, transcripts are off, responses in the discussion forum were late and/or not always friendly (especially to some seemingly knowledgable participants who pointed out code flaws or such - just followed some of the threads and was irritated by some responses), but amongst all the flaw that makes me think about quitting this certificate this course is part of: absolutely no clear framework obvious. What are the main questions this course answers apart from just giving us a bunch of information? Where are we and which goal will we reach, i.e., what will we be able to do with the knowledge? As someone who has been teaching at big international universities, I would argue that the story of this course is lacking or absolutely unclear and there was not much though given in terms of pedagogy. I passed the final exam right away with 100% even I didn't feel like a learned a lot I could really apply. That being said: I don't want to participate in a course just to pass and get the badge. Instead, I would like to learn something that could help me right away. Unfortunately, for this course, this was in no way the case. I very much hope the next one will be better or I will quit and leave Coursera.

By Ian M S

Feb 22, 2021

I struggled to learn with this course. I have some experience coding with Python already and feel like the Python beginners course from University of Michigan (Python for everyone) was much better at learning Python for data analytics even though the course objective was more to learn about Python rather than data analytics. I didn't like the clunky and cluttered feel of programming in Jutyper. Previous courses I've taken in Python, the video or lecturer would usually code in the shell or an IDE and you'd see the code being done, you'd go practice in an uncluttered IDE where you could debug things easily and I felt like I learned quite easily. This course kind of just lectures through the code and uses visuals to represent the program which I feel is not a good way to teach coding/programming. The beginning weeks were easy because I knew all the content, but I could see it was taught using poor methods in my opinion. When it got to the material at the end which I'd never learned before, I could really feel how slow and difficult it was to retain the information being presented in the videos. I think it would help a lot by doing videos in an IDE and provide a textbook to easily refer back to the content instead of having to click through a video to do so.

By Daniel V

Feb 10, 2021

The worst course I've taken so far. I used to learn on udemy before switching to Coursera because of more well-known providers. This entire IBM Data Analyst Professional Certificate has been mostly way too easy. Explanations don't seem to be technically accurate and simplify concepts a lot. Especially the in the Python module, the basics of programming are skimmed through while the exercises are designed at a significantly more difficult level. A lot of students seem to be frustrated with this part and apparently, nothing is being done to improve this course. Why people are still taking it? To have some certificate from a reknown company on their LinkedIn profile. Do people actually learn in this course? Yes, but only because nothing is being taught here and students are forced to do their own research to solve the exercises.

By Thomas

Sep 15, 2019

Basically just an interactive advertisement for IBM's new product. Videos aren't very helpful as they show snippets of code without the context in which they would be applied in an actual program. Labs are okay but they use the aforementioned IBM product, and it honestly isn't that great and it isn't something someone using python to do data science would use in a professional setting. The information given about Pandas and Numpy is embarrassingly lacking so the point where doing the final lab is nearly impossible unless you already know what you're doing or you search for information elsewhere. Not why I pay money for Coursera. Wish I could have my money and time back honestly.

By Lluvia Z

May 5, 2019

I'm not sure which parts of the lessons are advertisement and which parts are actual exercises that need to be completed. You are instructed in each segment (so hundreds of times) to not forget to press Shift-Enter for your instructions to be run which is annoying for something so simple. Then the lesson throws you into the deep end by telling you to get an account of gethub using gist to save your jupyter thing and you end up completely lost after clicking on too many links. I might have two accounts of gethub or none--I have no idea.

By Francisco J C G

Jun 12, 2019

I had been taken several courses with Coursera but this data science specialization lacks good planning and clear directions to complete. I asked many times the same question. I was stuck in the last assignment of week 5 and requested help but the responses were not adequate, I contacted the teacher assistants and even the instructor and just received an email to contact Coursera services. They just ignored me; I'm not sure how many students they have but several others have the same issue with Week 5.

By Reinaldo O

Sep 10, 2021

I'm really disappointed with this course. I'm totally new to Python and I can confidently say that I merely grasped around a 20% of the whole content. Some videos are extremely short and fast. If you are new to this programming language, then it will be extremely hard to follow in those cases. And regarding the Hands-On Labs, some of them are good, but a lot of them teaches stuff like you are already familiar with Python, and not a begineer.