Back to Python for Data Science and AI

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science and AI by IBM

This introduction to Python will kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general. This beginner-friendly Python course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours. Module 1 - Python Basics o Your first program o Types o Expressions and Variables o String Operations Module 2 - Python Data Structures o Lists and Tuples o Sets o Dictionaries Module 3 - Python Programming Fundamentals o Conditions and Branching o Loops o Functions o Objects and Classes Module 4 - Working with Data in Python o Reading files with open o Writing files with open o Loading data with Pandas o Numpy Finally, you will create a project to test your skills....

HM

Nov 18, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

WL

Mar 14, 2019

Every course has offered something interesting, challenging, and surprising. I am glad I have spent the time with this class. I would strongly recommend it to others with an interest in data science.

1201 - 1225 of 1,475 Reviews for Python for Data Science and AI

Aug 20, 2019

great

By VIGNESHKUMAR R

Dec 23, 2019

Good

By Anvinraj A

Sep 13, 2019

good

By MOHAMMED H

Aug 26, 2019

bien

By Dr. D M

Jul 23, 2019

good

By Cristian A M A

Jul 06, 2019

good

By ThangarajDeivasikamani

Jan 01, 2019

Good

By Ravindra D

Nov 18, 2019

NA

By Lena N

Sep 09, 2018

I had some programming knowledge (C++, matlab) when I begun this course. It was easy to complete but I tried to make it more challenging by paying extra attention to the details. The questions that popped up while watching the videos were good at making it somewhat interactive. The quizzes were maybe too easy (most of them had only three questions per quiz). I found the labs very helpful, could use some more practice exercises. It felt like a self-paced course, I would like it if the instructors were more involved in the forums and the grading. Basically, the questions at the forums were answered by fellow students (if someone could help) and also the grading was exclusively by peer-grading. All in all you can gain from the course by putting some personal effort..it also makes it easy to just browse through the questions and get a completed mark nonetheless.

By Abigail J

Sep 21, 2019

Not a beginner's class but a sufficient survey/review of Python for people who have seen it before. Much like some language classes will prepare you to read French but not to speak French, this course will probably prepare you to read Python programs but you won't be sufficiently prepared to write your own. Does not provide opportunities for meaningful practice.

The instructions in the videos are often vague or misleading (especially with naming of variables) and there were several instances where I (an "advanced beginner", generously) had to de-bug the examples and instructions in the Labs to get them to work.

IBM was clearly sloppy when they put together this course, and that is reflected in the quality of the learning you'll obtain. Again, a fine generalist's overview but will not prepare you to use Python in a meaningful way.

By Chris O

Dec 14, 2018

Take this review with a grain of salt. Let me start by saying I do not have experience programming and the course does recommend Python experience before enrolling.

I found the videos hard to follow, as there was no clear outline or natural flow to how the information was presented. The presenter spoke too fast and there was no time to digest the information before moving on to the next subject. I found myself pausing the video constantly and referring to the transcribed text below the video. That being said, the workbooks were terrific and seemed to cover almost everything in presented in the videos. For the final project, I found myself googling how to perform certain functions in Python, because I couldn't find examples to a lot of the code in the very detailed notes that I took.

By Mayra Q

Jun 06, 2019

It's definitely packed with a lot of information and the labs were actually really helpful to understand concepts. Would have loved to see more real-world case studies using larger data sets vs some of the watered down examples we got. The final module and assignment could definitely be improved. Although I took copious notes, I found that some commands needed were never reviewed/ reviewed well enough, and I had to do some extra research online in order to complete the assignment (Python cheat sheets etc). In the future, maybe a module in building dashboards with practice would be useful before assigning students to make their own. Or at least a study guide of concepts to review before going into the assignment (in the same vein as the real-world example point).

By Kisha B

Jun 25, 2019

This course started off great. The exercises and quizzes for weeks 1 thru 4 were based on the lectures or videos and all was well. Then came week 5 and the final assignment. First the reading on How to Setup IBM Cloud Object Storage needed to be updated. I contacted an IBM Developer and they told me I needed to upgrade my account. I suggest adding the Watson Studio Setup to the Instructions page of the Final Assignment. OR include a link to the Setup Instructions instead of including a link to the Wikipedia definition of GDP. The lectures did not include the information needed to complete the final assignment. Add to the grading rubric for the last question the following for 3.5 points: URL that is incorrect and does not display the dashboard.

By Jess M

Feb 05, 2019

A lot of passive exposure to basic structures of Python , but desperately needs more practice examples and more explicit exercises using code. The instructions for the final activity make a leap several steps past what is presented in the videos and asks that you figure out how to do multiple steps of code without any actual practice coding prior to that. Says its for beginners, but does not teach for beginners. Coursera needs something between Python for Everybody, which is super slow, and something like this, that assumes you intuitively get it.

By Dianna C

Jul 08, 2019

Like many others have said, the interface on IBM cloud is not the same as described in instructions. I ended up spending more time in setting up (or just getting to the place I'm supposed to go) than doing the work. I know I can ask for help in the forum, but I may or may not get a response and if I do get a response, it may be days later. On top of that, the response may or not help in resolving my issue.

The material is quite easy. I'm completely new to Python, but still I feel the exercises are too easy.

The videos are clear and concise, however.

By Sisir K

Jan 21, 2019

The final assignment at the end of week 5 has little to do with what's taught in weeks 1 through 4. This caused a lot of confusion and hence made it very difficult for a lot of the students (as seen on the forum section) to complete the assignment. For help on the final assignment, here's a link to a helpful post by Aronis Mariano, without whose help I would probably not have been able to finish the assignment.

By Scott

Jun 13, 2019

A decent quick overview of the basics, and I found it worth my time, but only just barely: the videos are narrated by a computer voice (they couldn't even find a human to teach it?), some outdated Python 2 techniques are still included, and the whole thing is a bit of a plug for IBM's online services, including Watson, which you have to sign up for to complete assignments. But yeah, it takes you through the motions and teaches you enough Python to drive out of the parking lot, so to speak, so overall it's fine.

By Gouri B

Jan 12, 2020

This course is good for python beginners and to also receive a hands-on training for the same.However when it comes to Data science,this particular course does not offer or rather meet its expectations.

The final assignment requires an account creation on IBM's Watson Studio,not following which you wont be graded.So that was like a turn-off for me because assessment mostly relies on successful creation of a Watson Studio account rather than the core subject

By CH

Jun 30, 2019

While I learned a lot in this course, it could have been a more enjoyable process. The videos and labs basically had the same content. However, the labs are a better learning experience (can run code and see results) but come later, making them less valuable and boring. Please consider having the lab content be more unique, as it was in the previous course. Also, please update the materials as Watson Studio changes.