Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

JM
Dec 2, 2016

I have not found an easy way to learn how to code with python language. Mentor are really helpful and Dr Chuck is one of the most self explain professor that I have met in my three university career.

351 - 375 of 7,441 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Jose B G

Jul 31, 2020

This course is great for people who want to learn web scrapng using Python, and Dr. Chuck is amazing in explaining basics related to Web. I would recommend anybody who is taking this course to take the Internet History course for better understanding(the pdf is freely available).

By Nguyen D H A

Jul 6, 2019

Great course! Dr Chuck explained the concepts very well, everything was easy to understand and the materials were just enough to get me hit the ground running but not overloaded with information. The assignments were well-thought to help me remember and understand course materials.

By Evaldas I

Nov 28, 2015

It appears, during this course I'm becoming hungry for Python programming. Somehow weird but also very attractive programming language. Especially when I succeed in doing something in so called "pythonic" way. And thanks to professor. It's a real pleasure to listen to his lecture.

By Han T

Nov 8, 2021

It's a wonderful feeling to have finally come up with the correct answer (that matches the two ending numbers given as cue) in each graded external tool assignment. I like thinking upon the examples explained in the videos to get the inspiration needed for working out a solution.

By Drew C

I liked this course. It teaches useful skills and the coding tasks all seem appropriately pitched in difficulty. I am realizing that I'm now beginning to think about coding all the time. I worked on the class every day, and I feel like I'm building my mental "coding muscles" lol.

By Crystal A

Apr 4, 2017

It felt really neat to be able to call web data. It's starting to feel like what I'm learning will be useful in my job and life now. Dr. Chuck makes things easy to understand, but the assignments generally contain enough tricks to guarantee that you understand the subject matter.

By Wayne H G J

Jun 9, 2019

This was an excellent class that furthered my knowledge of programming with Python. I have a great foundation of accessing APIs and pulling down either XML or JSON. Super happy I took this class, I look forward to completing the final two courses in this Python specialization.

By Abhishek M

Jan 26, 2016

The course is both fun and full of learning. Dr Chuck is a wonderful teacher. He puts forth concepts in a way that is easy to relate and in absorb-able chunks. Still he manage to impart sufficient knowledge for us to start coding interesting applications. Thanks a ton, Dr Chuck.

By Natalie W

Oct 15, 2021

W​hen it was time to learn more Python, I was happy to see Dr. Chuck on Coursera as I took a PHP/MySQL class with him a decade ago during graduate school. Dr. Chuck has a highly engaging teaching style and I'd highly recommend learning from him, online or IRL. Thanks Dr. Chuck!

By Igor S

Dec 6, 2015

This was a short but very good introduction to APIs and Python's ability to retrieve data from the web.

The load is quite low, so my suggestions to the teacher would be: make it harder! Include more examples and make both quizes and assignments harder in the same amount of time.

By Miguel S

Aug 4, 2021

Hello everyone, If you have interest in learning Python with an excellent academic format this is the place for you, all the Specialization is thinking in learning by doing with the all exercises are designed to apply the knowledge of the module, and the professor is awesome.

By Alex V

Mar 26, 2021

Great course taught at a very good pace for someone like myself with prior background in web programming. Coming away feeling very well equipped to generate Python scripts to access web data. Charles/Chuck is a great explainer and is clearly very passionate about the material.

By Victor d A N

May 23, 2018

Great course for those that are interested in use Python to get data from the web, specially HTML, XML and JSON formats.

Full of coded examples to exercise, lectures have a really easy and understandable language, specially for those that are beginning in programming as myself.

By Raysong L

Dec 2, 2015

Using Python to Access Web Data, like its two prerequisites, is a five star couse. It was fun, like the name of the course, to use Python to access web data. I did not know that before. It was a little harder than the two prerequisites, but it was a good course. Thank you, Dr.

By 林聖智

Jan 19, 2021

The first time I used python and xml, json to transfer data, although it failed several times in the middle, but after watching the video again, it seems to have a better understanding. Of course, I have to study a few more times to truly understand the operation of the data.

By Harald M

Jan 11, 2021

The course is excellent in delivering good teaching to enable the student to quickly and effectively grasp all the concepts and become proficient in their application in short time (e.g., how to access web data). Highly effective in becoming competent in using Python quickly.

By Ge O

May 25, 2018

The past two weeks has been fantastic! Dr Chuck is Clear with course content and he has a good sense of humour which made the course quite enjoyable. Python skills from the course are practical and lay good foundations for me to further study processing web data with Python.

By Evan G

Jan 23, 2016

Absolutely fantastic. Dr. Chuck's teaching style is completely in-sync with my learning style. The content is clearly presented and the effort in teaching shows. Thank you Dr. Chuck for taking the time to present this material and for creating the tools for all of us to use.

By Max B

Jan 19, 2019

Dr. Chuck strikes again -- another great course for everybody wanting to know more about accessing data through Python! It helps to have gone through the other courses prior to this, but the lectures are easy to follow and the assignments on accessible level. Two thumbs up!

By Jens

Jul 22, 2018

I'm halfway into this course and i can recommend it to anybody who wants to get into python. While the first few chapters where pretty easy (i had a very small coding experience) it gets pretty challenging for me. I really like that, it's pretty rare in such courses i feel.

By Rajesh C

Nov 25, 2015

Very helpful to understand the python APIs to access the web data and how to parse the XML and JSON formats. The course presentation was friendly and easy to follow. The assignments were covering the python in detail. Overall very useful and highly recommended.

Thank you.

By Danny Z

Jan 19, 2021

i took this for refresh training, and as expected, the course and the way Dr. Chuck giving the lecture is intresting. Moreover, in this way I known more about the data structure and intellegent practice. Great, and I have recommanded the courses to my peers and friends.

By SRIPARNO S

Jun 28, 2020

This is a great course, all the topics taught are very much relevant to the modern tech world. Only one thing is to be noted that, the last week on JSON should have more worked examples regarding a little bit complicated probelms. The overall explanation was simply great.

By 李昕諺

Jul 10, 2021

The class is very interesting. I really enjoy in the course. the course teach me how to use python to access web data. the way increases my work efficiency. Furthermore, I also learned the basic concepts of XML and JSON. They are useful. I love the class. Thank professor.

By Aaren G C H

Feb 19, 2017

I feel so great participating on this course, as I do learn lots of new stuffs regarding on Web socket, HTTP request, Data interchange through web service and many more. I having great fun and enjoying every single lecturer throughout the course. Excellent experience !!!