Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

SM
Mar 24, 2016

excellent for beginners, very well described, great understanding grasped and its simple, very simple, but thats what makes it 5 star, is that its for anyone or as the title says pythong for Everybody

PG
Sep 10, 2020

I really liked the course. I just wish it was more practice heavy and the lectures were broken up more and there were quizzes during the lectures to keep you engaged more and make it more interactive.

501 - 525 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By gary g

Jan 6, 2018

Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python). This is the first programming course I have done where right from the beginning I have been getting those feelings of "I get it". Normally I am thinking you do not necessarily have to understand all this, just remember it. I hope I can remember all this syntax. Obviously the equanimity and ken of the distinguished teacher has a lot to do with the level of . understanding. So thank you sir, I highly recommend this course

By Fanshi L

Jul 20, 2020

The course provides a very general and complete background knowledge of python, starting with the very basics that everyone, after some practice, can understand. More interestingly, there is a sequence of videos showing you how different tech start-ups came into being, including the python languages itself. Moreover, these videos are interviews of Dr. Severance (course lecturer) and founders of these start-ups, including the father of python of course. So that's pretty cool.

By Shai S

Jan 24, 2016

I joined this course to start learning Python. Although I know how to write code in other script languages (Not a full time programmer) I decided to start from the beginning so I won't miss syntax differences.

I'm really glad I did take this course because although the main subjects were familiar to me I learned a lot about how to approach Python and some of the syntax differences it has compared to other languages I know.

I'm now going to start the next course in this series!

By David M

Feb 15, 2020

Excellent introductory course to programming using Python. Basic programming constructs like control flow, definite/indefinite loops and exception handling are covered. The instructor does a good job of highlighting some common errors which beginning programmers may make. The course also includes some general info on how computers work.

Note that this is very much a beginner's course (as stated); somebody with any programming background will find this course highly trivial.

By Andrew S

Jan 18, 2018

It was a good initial course to review overall functions of python, I would have preferred a much more full time visual based course. Watching lectures might be helpful for some and they are in college, those of us whose learning is hindered by lecture and instead we love watching the teacher type as he teaches those are higher quality interactions for me mentally.

Thank you professor for having lots of well edited videos and hand stylus lectures.

This is very helpful for me.

By Bob W S B

Feb 15, 2017

Thank you Dr Chunk, it's a definite course for Everybody. Your ability to put complex knowledge in easy to understand manner is simply amazing. Learned a great deal from you. Complete all the first 3 parts, except not able to submit the quizzes and now half-way through the 4th: Using Databases with Python.

I have even get my teenage boy to enroll into this course and highly recommend it to my girl who is in the uni.

Thank you once again, greatly appreciated!

Bob 20170215-SGT

By Ezequiel K

Oct 30, 2015

A great course to get started with programming in general and with Python in particular.

As stated in the abstract, this course is addressed to those who have no experience in programming. However, even if you have some experience but are not familiar with Python (as it was my case), you can take this course quickly (speed x1.50) in order to learn the basic sintax of Python and catch up for the following courses in the specialization.

Really clear teacher. Highly recommended!

By Christopher R

Jul 24, 2016

I started taking a for-credit online course on Python through the UC Berkeley Extension, but found both that it didn't explain the basics, and that the actual content was sparse. I was very grateful to find this specialization, with the wonderful Charles Severance as the instructor! He's a very clear teacher, and charming besides.

I loved course #1 of the specialization, and look forward to course #2, which lines up with the UC Berkeley course. Let's learn Python, shall we?

By YUTHIKA D

Jun 24, 2020

It was a great experience for me learning this course as it was neither too easy nor too hard to understand the basics of python for someone first learning about the language. And thanks a lot to Dr. Chuck whose lecture was just too awesome to ignore. He made me (a biology student) love the subject which I only dreamed about in my imaginary world. Thank you so much Coursera, University of Michigan and last but not the least Dr. Charles R. Severance for making it possible.

By Rafael D

Jun 10, 2020

Incredible course. The platform was amazing and the format as well. Special thanks to the slitherin teacher, he has a special gift to teach. I had a great time and learned everything in less than a week, thanks to the amazing teaching techniques applied. Best regards from Argentina in COVID-19 times. I am a Mathematics student from the Uniersidad de Buenos Aires and this is my first time programming, found a new passion partly thanks to you guys, I'll be grateful forever.

By Mohd A A

Jul 25, 2018

At the very outset let me thank Coursera for providing me this opportunity. The course was very interesting and enjoyed so much that I sat down for the course continuously for 6 hours daily. I look forward to participate in more such courses or a degree course, if given an opportunity with financial help as given for this course. I wish to remain a part of Coursera.

Once again thank you very much to the entire team of Coursera and Professors.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Mohd Asim Ali

By Dnyaneshwar P N

The Paython cource is a very simple I can't imagin how much am I happy...thise course gaider is friendly tech every code and most importantly I want to say he not make a bour while you learning a paython language ..

He's give you interesting example ..

Mostly I like an example that Function defination many animals knows many languages so if talk language that he knows after he will give you some response ..that mean different functions work are different output..

Thanks 😎

By Jian Z

Jun 12, 2018

This course provides a basic introduction to the Python language and its usage. Besides that all course materials are online and easily accessible, I very much appreciate the instructor's enthusiasm about the field and clarity about the application of this language. Last, it is indeed a great idea to have interviews with many interesting figures in the Data science and Python community. Glad to know that this course has a global network through the office hours as well!

By Gowtham B

Nov 12, 2016

Helps in understanding the basic concepts of programming with the help of more general beginner specific programming language python. Gives a deeper insight about how the functionality of logical and mathematical statements interpretation by a machine and expands out thinking about various control structures. Increases ones interest in programming and developing self skills like self thinking, optimizing and testing of different working models in a programming language.

By Ced W

Apr 21, 2016

Dr. Severance is great. He introduces you to coding in a way that is non-intimidating and feels completely natural within a couple of weeks. Instead of dreading class I found myself excited about attending everyday and was able to progress faster than the course outline due to his extremely clear and supportive teaching method. I'm already reading data from files and it isn't even covered until the next course. If you take this class, read the book and you will do well.

By Dara F

Apr 21, 2020

Charles Severance is the first teacher to slow down enough that I understood each and every element introduced. It's so much more appreciated at these beginning, easy levels rather than for complex ideas. When starting on a totally new way of thinking, it really helps to have 'obvious' things explained in full. Not everyone will need to slow down as much, but if you're just starting out, it can't hurt!

Looking forward to more complicated ideas approached the same way!

By Christopher M

Aug 7, 2017

Programming is made truly accessible for everyone in this course! I'm not a computer scientist by formal education, so I was a bit hesitant about taking a foreign language (Python). To my delight, the videos are engaging and make you want to progress further into the material. I want to write scripts and am proud to say that I can run Python from my command prompt :D! Thank you Coursera; Thank you University of Michigan; and last but certainly not least -- Thank you D

By Brett C

Oct 1, 2020

This was an excellent course for teaching me the basics of python at a comfortable pace that was digestible enough for me to come away with just the right amount of key takeaways from each lesson.

The assignments also presented just enough of a challenge each time to really hammer in my understanding of the previous lesson, without making me feel overwhelmed and lost.

I think most importantly, this course has me eager to keep learning! I can't wait to jump into Part 2!

By Frank A

Oct 27, 2018

At 46, learning programming has been difficult and often find myself discouraged (grumpy). I've bought books and considered gambling thousands of dollars on local courses. I'm so glad I went with Coursera. I chose this course after watching a video. Wow, Thank you to Charles Severance and the University of Michigan for an truly amazing, and well put together program. I've been at this for a few years and I'm finally making progress thanks to this course. Amazing.

By Sun W

May 27, 2018

The very first course is well organized so that you won't have much problems if you follow the instructions strictly and can learn well and thus form a solid foundation about Python.

Besides, Dr. Chuck is very humorous and teaches well. What's more, he gives students like me who has none program experience before a lot of encouragement which is very vital for us to build confidence in learning program. I guess it is my favorite point about this introductory course.

By jesse s

Oct 20, 2018

I audit this course. As I am a student studying computer science already, this course is too easy for me.

Mr.Charles shows a great understanding of the programming and he exactly knows how to lead a new learner to understand the concept of programming.

Step by step, I still got a lot of things learned.

I definitely would support this course but I am in lack of money because I am just a poor student.

In short, this is a very nice course for new guys step to programming.

By Denise F

Feb 1, 2018

Great course for beginners, well structured and really well presented by Charles Severance! I loved how he presented the logics of programming in python, pretty straight forward and applied (not wandering much around stuff you don't need to understand if your aim is just to get started). Great job and thanks a lot, Charles! I'll surely recommend it to friends, also thinking about helping out with translation to Portuguese. Worthy the time, don't wait to take it. ;)

By Kartik J

Jan 23, 2016

I really had good time learning this course. And this course instructor Charles Severance gave amazing details and intro towards programming, many lecturers just go with direct definitions and concepts present in some textbook but don't go with simplicity. Many new students need something that is simple and clear so I think sir Charles is best in doing that and hes my favourite lecturer now. If the courses are this fun and interesting I wouldn't mind paying for it.

By Xinnan W

Mar 12, 2020

I really enjoy the design of Coursera and appreciate the materials provided by University of Michigan. This is the beginning of Python, but it motivates me to want to learn more about this skill. Video lectures are easy to follow up--they come with subtitle of different languages. The third party python tool is quite useful for you to do exercise and get insight of how to get familiar with this intelligent programming tool. I'm looking forward to keep studying it!

By 姜媛溪

Dec 18, 2017

I highly recommend this course for those people who has basically no coding experience. I took some programming course like financial computation using MATLAB in college, but I did learn it well and that was not a happy experience. But this course, you can learn everything about python from a very beginning level. If you watch the lecture video carefully, you can finish the assignment easily. In the meanwhile, you start your very first step to become a programmer.