Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

MM
Feb 9, 2021

This course more than met my expectations! In his online videos Charles Severance explains the basic concepts of programming in an easily understandable way.Abig thank you and hope to 'see' you again!

JT
Jun 29, 2020

A well-designed course, especially for the beginners, who are really enthusiastic and passionate about programming. It really helps you to learn from scratch and it does not require any prerequisites.

76 - 100 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Wilson W

Apr 6, 2020

This course is hands down my favourite programming course (And I've taken a lot of programming courses).

Dr. Chuck (the instructor) teaches so well. He makes the class fun and even tells stories during lessons. He also tries to be as friendly as possible. That makes the learning experience so much better.

The concepts are clear and they're explained properly too. And the assignments in the middle make sure that you really pay attention to the course.

If you are looking for a course to start learning Python, this is the one.

By Derek R

Mar 26, 2020

This course is fantastic! I always looked at coding as some dark magic that I would never understand. Now, after this course, I want to continue mastering this skill set and understand how else I can use to to manipulate, interpret, and display data. The instructor is wonderful, and I am now actively looking for his other courses to take next. My only suggestion is for some of the exercises to be displayed via Windows and not just Mac, but that's an extremely minor issue. I highly recommend this instructor. Great course.

By Ngoc N

Apr 12, 2018

Great lectures, great text book.

I really liked the professor - in his videos he progresses fast enough that you don't get bored, but slow enough that you can understand the material. I generally dislike watching instructional videos because I'd rather read the instructions and do it at my own pace, which is usually faster than the video's pace, but I didn't mind watching these. I also liked the fact that he had a textbook that you can use as reference so that you don't have to re-watch the videos over and over again.

By Miki S

Sep 18, 2017

I started this course with zero knowledge of programming: 20 years ago, I have learned basic HTML, that's all. I am not a computer or technology person at all. However, Dr. Chuck's teach method made me feel like the contents are simple. In the latter half of the course, I struggled to do assignment of making a code. Because I need to use more function, and my brain hadn't fully understood how to use those functions. I reviewed my note many times and finished assignments. Thank you for your excellent lecture, Dr. Chuck!!

By Amit K

Sep 19, 2019

This was my first ever course online and I am happy to say that I had a satisfying experience. The great thing about this course is that not only the instructor is dedicated and really puts his heart into teaching the material; all the necessary steps are taken to ensure the student's success; that the student can really complete the course without getting demotivated. I highly recommend this course to the beginner programmers, who have never written any code and want to learn to code in an fun yet challenging manner.

By Mrinal V

Mar 11, 2018

Out of all the courses that I have taken on Coursera, this one left me with a smile on the face as I worked through the content week by week. Professor Chuck has a humorous and engaging style of teaching. The bonus materials are absolutely a charm, I loved seeing so many students as they meet and greet with professor and share their experiences. The exercises are a great way of beginning in programming and are very relevant to the material being taught. I am eager to take more courses from this specialization.

By YU R

Jun 2, 2021

A very good course not only helps people learn the programming language but also helps people know "the way computer think". I used to think programming is all about remembering of all the syntax and reuse them. This course let me know sth more than that. The teaching process is really important and you will find it super usesful when you cannot remember some syntax properly because it helps you to understand the language.

Overall, it's a great start for people who want to learn programming.

By Xiaojun L

Nov 2, 2020

I finished this course in a few days instead of a month. This is a great course for the debutants as me. It is easy to understand, and doctor Chuck's sense of humors makes it fun to learn. I can do simple code now thanks to the course. Every time I accomplished the assignment, I just felt so happy about it even tho it took me time to figure out the right code. In a word, I'm satisfied with this course and I would totally recommend it to those who want to debut their journey of Python:)

By Nkem I

Oct 31, 2020

Dr. Chuck is a gifted teacher and professor, some might consider what I have been able to achieve with this course not a big deal and they would be wrong. The joy that comes with being able to solve a problem statement by breaking it down into small chunks and thinking out the logic of the steps is immeasurable. I set out my mind to learn how to program for the third time and I am confident I will be able to tackle what comes next. Thank you Dr. Chuck, Thank you Coursera.

By Liu W

Oct 16, 2019

Incredible course!!! 1. Python is so complicated but the course is simple (maybe just at the beginning, for people like me with thin mathematics foundation and no knowledge of programming at all!) 2. The logic of the course is very clear and simple to understand 3. The arrangement is not so tight, therefore is friendly to people who have full-time job like me! 4. Coursera is incredible!!! See you in the next course!

By Shoham E

Oct 30, 2020

Even though I have never met Mr. Severance I must say that he is one of the best teachers that I have ever been taught by ! an excellent teacher who is calm, assuring and confident-inspiring for new programmers ! The course covered the very basics of the Python language in a great way, and I'm very confident in my abilities to continue the specialization with the tools that I have acquired from this course.

By 祝先生

Feb 22, 2021

Wonderful as this course "Getting Started with Python" is, there are still a stupendous amount of important but tiny points of knowledge hiding behind these lessons we need take, where we should still explore more during the leisure time of ours and if necessary, try to predict how these stuff would be used later, plus making some questions by yourself.

Sincerely hope this comment helpful.

By 蔡涵涵 T H F

Jun 3, 2021

I've written a little bit python before, but never officially take a course on it. After finishing this course, I feel really worthwhile, and I will definitely keep going on it. This course helps me a lot on learning how python works in a specific way. Dr. Chuck is pretty thoughtful, and I love those bonus videos very much. It makes me feel involved in the python learning community!

By Powsali G

May 15, 2020

This is an amazing course. I used to be so scared to computer programming. But I enjoyed this course so much that I actually enjoyed doing the assignments. I completed the course in just 9 days which is awesome. This just proves that if the professor is engaging, students will love learning. I am very very greatful to the instructor. This has been a wonderful experience.

By Ridwan B

I cannot describe my joy at achieving this feat. It was an interesting and fulfilling experience. Although, a complete beginner, I was able to comprehend the lessons owing to the simple language used by the instructor. Thank you so much, Professor Charles. I sometimes had tough times, but it was worth it. I won't relent at this level, I will continue to soar higher.

By GEORGIOS P

Sep 6, 2020

A very interesting and useful online course for begginers. I think it's a great opportunity for everyone to spend some time with this course, as you can learn the basics about Python programming and more. Thanks Charles Severance for this amazing online course!

I'm looking forward to attend the next courses of this specialization!

By Luke M

Apr 16, 2021

I found the course excellent in introducing and getting a person excited about programming. The course explained the topics well and very understandable. The one thing I have against the course was the final project. I found its difficulty didn't correlate with the difficulty of the assignments one the previous chapters.

By Lorilyn M

Mar 8, 2019

I love the teaching style of Dr. Severance!! I've tried so many other tutorials online but his class is by far my favorite. He helps cement connections by use of metaphors and visual aids and as a student who has traditionally favored subjects such as language arts, it has been invaluable to my learning experience!!

By Manuel A

Nov 9, 2020

I never expected to start learning "on my own" something a little bit "technical" like this. But everything in this course is really well thought and done. It's great, motivating and I could see myself getting hooked into learning more Python or more curious about programming by this positive experience.

By Nikhitha B

Oct 17, 2019

I have gone through plenty of materials for python and also did few data science courses.But I regret taking this course at the first place.Dr Severance’s lectures are very neat and easy to understand.I never understood basics so well before :)

I am very grateful to be a part of this specialisation

By Alto P

Jun 29, 2020

I struggled, had to watch most of the videos 2 or even 4 times, but I have completed it.

The instructor is highly professional, a true teacher. I started with the Python course by Google and it was poorly explained. The instructor here knows exactly what beginners' learning process is like.

By Arjun B

Apr 3, 2020

The best online course I have taken so far. Charles Sir used a very simple way to convey his knowledge with his best efforts. You will learn every python basics. The topic I liked most is except and try and Functions. I am grateful to Coursera for providing such a great platform for us.

By Yvonne V

Mar 6, 2019

I am an absolute beginner to programming. I find this course a clearly instructed one for beginners. The course design is pragmatically useful because you need to practice by yourself, going through videos and books, in order to pass all the assignments. It is worth it in the end!

By Karunesh p

Jul 12, 2020

This is the course from which i came to know as a first time , how does the python looks like?

I got amazed every time when i was writing my code due to its simplicity and readability.

NO doubt Chuck sir plays a very crucial role.

I am very eager and excited to go for part two.

By Erica C

Mar 5, 2021

Great course! I started with zero experience in programming and feel like it was broken down enough for me to keep up and get a good understanding of each concept. Dr. Chuck is engaging and makes it fun to learn these very basics. Looking forward to more courses!