Back to Quantitative Methods

LG

Jan 05, 2018

AL

May 08, 2018

It is well-structured and informative. The pop up questions are interactive and the animation is fun. I have learned a lot from the video instruction, recommended readings, and assignments. Thanks.

351 - 375 of 438 Reviews for Quantitative Methods

Apr 29, 2020

good.

By Cao Z

Jun 01, 2020

good

By Martin O C J

Mar 11, 2016

I

By Hongming H

May 12, 2020

It is a very useful course, as an international student who is currently studying in the Netherland, I have to say, this course is a very dutch way. we have to do group work with our classmates, and we can have a discussion with other people.

In addition, those courses are not very long, they are very short videos and everyone can use several minutes to take those courses. This course aims to lay the foundation for conducting first-class qualitative and quantitative research and embed it in an effective and feasible mixed-method research design, thereby laying a solid foundation. At the end of this course, students will have a good understanding of the most important principles and practices of social science research. At the end of the course, he will also be able to improve his knowledge and skills independently, so as to pursue his substantive research interests without methodological obstacles. The course first introduces and discusses the most important qualitative methods for all students in the social sciences and behavioural sciences.

By Sara E M

Feb 15, 2016

I really enjoyed this course overall (and it was somewhat easy for me because I have some background in this already), but there were some technical issues especially regarding accessing assignments. It would be nice if there was a more robust group of volunteer tutors/teaching assistants or something to answer questions or deal with these technical issues, especially the final exam not working for a while for me and some other people. But, I enjoyed the illustrations (drawings) and cute examples, and also the lecturer did a pretty good job on camera. I would probably give this course a 4.5 if possible, but I am hesitant to give it a full 5 points because of the technical issues. Anyway I would recommend the course to someone who wants a survey of quantitative methods to prepare for future study.

By Irene P

Jun 25, 2018

I had no grounding in quantitative research methods before doing this course, although I have an undergraduate humanities degree with some background in the philosophical foundations of the course (e.g. epistemology, ontology). I found that the course was pitched at a good level for me. It gave a clear, thorough overview of quantitative research. I enjoyed the simplicity of the videos and the appeal of the cartoons, but I also really appreciated the additional interviews with social scientists and the use of real academic articles in the assignments, as it allowed me a more nuanced understanding and application of the concepts. (Useful to note: I took notes as I watched the lectures, and I found it took a lot longer than the recommended time, because the lectures are very content-dense.)

By Jennifer B

Jan 28, 2020

I thought the content, progress quiz questions, and other materials were very helpful. I'm glad I took this course, even if you know some of the material it's great for reinforcement and introducing other topics. I do agree with others though that the assignments are a bit hard to tackle. I work in UX Research, so it was refreshing an a nice challenge to review scientific papers, however I would have liked more variation in the types of assignments and -many- of my peers in the group didn't seem to understand the instructions or maybe didn't put in the effort. I think peer review is valuable, but the course seemed to rely on this activity and the articles a lot, which was a stumbling block. That being said, I would recommend this course.

By Rachel S

Apr 18, 2018

I very much liked the content of the course, the pace was nicely pitched, and the videos really well done. I also liked that I could print the script for each module, that made it a lot easier to revise. And I also found the practice exam really useful where the course convener explained the answers in separate videos.

I think it would be really helpful if similar videos could exist for each of the written assignments. The feedback we receive from peers is usually limited to a couple of words (e.g. 'well done') and does not really help you assess how well you did. Having someone who teaches the course provide sample answers or discussion videos for each written assignment would add a lot of value and aid students' learning.

By Tiago F d B D

Feb 29, 2016

Good Course. It should be complemented with reading of Neuman, Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in Social Science, which gives a far better overview of the contents of week 1 and 2 (insights into the scientific method). Nevertheless the rest of the weeks are very good and should provide a great framework of Quantitative methods for a undergraduate student, who can then complement this framework with some detailed additional readings, if it is of his liking. All in all, I really ended my fisrt college semester with an excellent knowledge in quantitative methods, for which I have to thank, in part to Miss Scholten for this wonderful course.

By Yasar M

Oct 12, 2018

Excellent course. It provides beginners with the working knowledge on how to conduct quantitative research. However, the high passing criteria on weekly quizzes and final exam was frustrating at times. I suggest to ask the participants to develop a product by applying the concepts they have learnt during each week and evaluate (and pass) participants on the basis of this product. Moreover, I missed expert feedback. Although peer evaluation and feedback is very good but it should be augmented by expert feedback (ideally someone from the course staff should also give feedback).

By Marie R

Oct 18, 2016

I really felt this course was well presented and easily accessed for working learners. If you wish to build your skills in this area, this course is a good way to do it. My only hesitation regarding this course pertains to the time and energy spent on historical or largely theoretical constructs, such as what Plato thought or did not think about the nature of reality. To me, this should be an applied learning course given its nature and spending time and energy on this seems an academic exercise of little importance to the ability to understand research.

By Gavin Y

Dec 24, 2019

I enjoyed this course and it was very useful to me. My only gripe is that I received no feedback from qualified people. Yes, the tests were feedback but I received no such feedback on the writing assignments. How could I know if my ideas were right or not? You might supply an example essay written by a qualified researcher or choose an exemplary one from the students to showcase. This course was a bit challenging and it was better than I expected. I would strongly consider taking another course through this university. Thank you.

By Sebbane E

Jan 12, 2017

Very good and quality training : videos and material are in a very good quality. Assignments make well practice the acquired knowledge and the final exam reviews all lectures in a very practical way that allowed me to make the infinite connections until the end.

The only negatively appreciated aspect is the issue to be graded when you submit your assignment few days later. Also, there is no real mentor from the university. These are very critical points that should really exist in a paid online course.