Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

JM

Aug 12, 2019

Very challenging, but good course. I've been programming in R for over a year, but there were still some things for me to pick up in this class. Assignments were a challenge, but satisfying to tackle.

WH

Feb 03, 2016

"R Programming" forces you to dive in deep.\n\nThese skills serve as a strong basis for the rest of the data science specialization.\n\nMaterial is in depth, but presented clearly. Highly recommended!

3726 - 3750 of 4,061 Reviews for R Programming

By Bekele D

Mar 23, 2020

Well, I learned the basic of R programing , I very impressed with the assignment questions; they are so challenging and I got a lot out of it. At the same time the swirl package come along with course is so helpful. Having say it, I was very dissatisfied with the way instructor present this course; it so embracing to teach programing course by reading slides. How so ?????

This is not history or music/Art course; you have to show each and every example on IDE.

I should have give this course a lone star rating , but for all resources come with it made to be nice to add one more. otherwise 1 star would have been fair review, for there is no rating option below 1 star.

By Ashly Y

Mar 20, 2017

Love Coursera but was disappointed in this course. Being a true beginner w/no background in programming or data science, I felt the programming assignments were way too far a stretch from the Swirl exercises (which I felt were super helpful and beginner appropriate) and lectures. I spent 8-12 hrs on each one just googling and trying to decipher the programming jargon that most responses were written in. I was able to figure out workable code for most problems but I feel like I am still lacking the basic fundamentals underlying the solutions to these assignments and would have a hard time reproducing solutions to similar problems.

By NICOLAS Y

Aug 04, 2016

The first 2 weeks have too many videos, which make it difficult to follow. This breaks the flow of the lectures and makes a lot of unuseful repetitions.

The slides only have words and are hard to follow, no graphs or illustrations, this means that you rely on the voice of the lecturer to guide you, which is difficult sometimes.

Furthermore, the code presented is not run 'live', and results are often lacking, which makes comparison with 'my own results' hard to do.

Summary: Not that its a bad course (SWIRL is a great tool), just look for another course that's easier to follow.

By Theresa B

Aug 12, 2018

This course had all the required content for learning to program in R. However, the presentations were hard to understand. There was a lot of information jumps that were more than an intermediate level. I feel these instructors were very knowledgeable, but didn't know how to teach. They need to understand that when you teach a person to read "cat" you start with the sounds "c" "a" "t" and slowly put the sounds together.... You don't just say cat says "cat".

My previous experience in R & my R "hacker mentality" are the only thing that got me through this course.

By Laura S

Sep 29, 2020

The lectures are not very helpful to answer the assignments, they are similar to the help files and provide little practical examples and guidance. As a result you have to learn a lot yourself when doing the assignments, and have no way of knowing if you are coding efficiently/ sensibly. I completed the Python course by Chris Brooks at the University of Michigan before this course, and that was a great example of how to integrate lectures and assignments to test learning. This course might benefit from an overhaul along those lines.

By Erika R

May 12, 2017

The instructor explained functions to use in R, but did not do a good job of demonstrating how to properly use them in conjunction as the course progressed. The programming assignments had almost nothing to do with what was taught in the course. As a person with beginner experience with R, this course required more advanced knowledge for coding in R to complete the programming assignments. I was very disappointed with the instruction though I managed to get myself through the assignments with the use of google and R help prompts.

By Tirth B

May 09, 2020

Huge difference between the concepts taught and the quizzes/assignments give. NOT for a beginner level coder. This course is good for those who already have apt knowledge of coding and minimum 1 year of coding experience. Would absolutely NOT recommend this course for those learning how to code. Better to first learn Python and then do this R programming course. The ONLY THING GOOD about this course is the SWIRL package, which really teaches the foundation for coding in R, hence the 2 stars, otherwise I was going to give just one.

By Fabiana G

May 26, 2016

It feels like this course was abandoned by the instructors. The Programming Assignments are practically impossible to be done unless you have previous programming experience. Other than swirl, it would be very helpful if there were basic optional exercises for those who have never programmed before. I worked hard to be able to follow it, but if I knew how uninvolved the instructors were, I would have saved my money and spent it on a course with active involvement from those who developed it. Disappointing.

By Antonio M

Dec 12, 2017

The way of talking in the videos is erratic. It looks like he is always in doubt of what to say. His speech is full of "eeer" and non-completed words. I don't mean to be a fusspot, but when English is not your mother tongue, this is key to stay engaged. A script to read would probably solve most of these issues. He seems to have a great understanding of the topics he is explaining, however, not being able to communicate it properly results in a bit of a failure for me. I'll maybe try again in the future.

By Nina L A

Apr 19, 2020

Although the content that is covered is presented in a clear, logical manner, the expectations for completing and passing coursework/assignments/tests that require knowledge that is:

1) Not included in the training materials/presentations

2) Extremely more advanced than a "beginner" level (which is how the course is described)

Trying to pass the Week 2 assignment and quiz has consumed an exorbitant and unnecessary amount of time; I am going to seek training in R Programming offered by another instructor.

By Amy B

May 06, 2016

This course is *NOT* for beginners. I would not have asked my work to pay for the specialization if I knew it would take me 3 months to complete R Programming. I have a degree in economics, magna cum laude, so clearly I'm not dumb. Also, I have non-trivial experience with Stata. When I read that this would be a suitable introduction for anyone, I had no idea that what it would really take was a professional programmer (which I am lucky to have as a partner) to fill in the gaps.

Extremely misleading.

By Constantin S

Feb 15, 2016

The content and the speed that they teach you R are actually good. But considering that we now have to pay 45€/49$ for the course you will expect more polished videos and quizzes. Some of the videos are just stutters, repetitions and filling words. It's seems like they have been in a rush without decent preparation. Also one of the quiz questions was simply wrong. This should be fixed. Furthermore some of the commands they present are deprecated and cannot be used anymore.

By Douglas P

Jun 27, 2016

This course is a little too deep into programming and a little light on learning the basics of R. I would recommend splitting out the more advanced programming concepts in this course and offering them in a course near the end of the specialization.

This course should be higher level and give the user a wider view of R. Currently this course seems to assume significant knowledge of R or programming in general, making it not a good early course in the specialization.

By Joy A

Jan 17, 2017

Good intention but the programming assignments were much much harder than what was covered in the mostly theoretical lectures and the more practical but not as advanced swirl exercises. After reading other reviews of this course, and struggling to complete the FIRST programming assignment, I canceled. Please do not advertise this as for beginners - I think people who have had some programming experience before would find this great, but not for the newbie.

By Shannon P

Apr 17, 2020

The videos aren't narrated by a robotic voice-over, which is good! Unfortunately, they are very simplistic and not actually that helpful at teaching R functions. The swirl package they have you use is actually a much better way to cover the source material, and I advise doing all the exercises. Unfortunately the programming assignments are very random and don't really apply what you have just been taught, so all in all I do not recommend this course.

By Vasilis S

Feb 18, 2016

This is NOT a step-wise introduction to R for the novice. Useful in many respects, but the uninitiated to the field need more time, slow increments in project difficulty and more thorough, step by step explanations. I think the designers of the course wrongly assume that ALL R programming should be taught in THIS course which is erroneous; it should be about laying the foundations, on which the student can then expand his/her R programming abilities.

By Sima S K

Feb 10, 2020

I found this course to be very poorly structured. Although the lecture material was interesting and engaging, very simple examples, functions and codes were presented in lectures and the assignments were completely at a different level. I spent hours researching online to be able to complete assignments. This should not be the case for an introductory course and I do have programming experience, although not in R. Very disappointing and frustrating.

By Michael P

Apr 24, 2020

I found that material presented in the course initially seemed useful. However, the programming assignments go far beyond what was presented in the learning modules and optional practices. I recognize that additional research is common in coding projects, but I found this major feature of the course to be unnecessarily painful and ultimately unhelpful. Only do this course if you absolutely have to. I believe there are better ways to learn R.

By David R C

Aug 28, 2019

The course is interesting, but is very focused on informatics and programming codes, it is not recommended for beginners. If you are looking for a course on statistical programming in R it is not this course. It is a good idea to give the manual for free, although some lessons are tedious and long. It also requires some previous handling of GitHub to complete it, for those of us who are not familiar with the environment is really complicated.

By Gehad B

Feb 25, 2017

I passed this course with score 95% finished all quizzes, Programming assignments and swirl exercises. but it wasn't useful that much. the videos wasn't interactive, to much theoretical parts...less practical you can't solve the assignments depending on the tutorials you have to google for the answers and know how people can solve the problems.......I recommend if there will be a new version to put these points in consideration

By Paymon H

Apr 14, 2016

This is a tougher class than advertised. I essentially had to clear my entire week's plans to complete the first week's assignment, which was by far the toughest. There needs to be more testing on a variety of incoming skill sets. The lectures can also benefit from a recalibration, because the lecturer speaks way too fast for newbies and speaks fastest when explaining the most complex concepts. This makes it tough to learn.

By Rachel R

Jul 11, 2017

This is not an "R for beginners" course. Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning things on your own. The lectures don't prepare you very well for the quizzes and assignments. However, there is some useful information about R here. Any previous experience in another programming language will be an asset to you in this course, as you need to understand some programming concepts already to complete the assignments.

By KushkingLA

Aug 26, 2020

OMG, talk about throwing you in the deep end with weights on your feet. Holy Sh!t. Course 2 week 2, there would be no way a beginner programmer would get any of this pollution project. i must have spent 12 hours trying to figure it out. There were functions i have never seen, script no beginner would ever know. I do not know how long i can keep this up. Even swirl was over my head... skip(), skip()... BRUTAL!

By Karina N

Jul 09, 2019

I came in with not much experience in R and while I found the lectures and the swirl practice problems to be pretty helpful, the assignments were way too difficult for me to understand on my own. This was my first experience with an online course and while I knew I would be teaching myself, I felt stuck while doing some of the assignments and had to use google to help me with practically the whole assignment.

By Daniele D F

May 14, 2020

The course suffer the time passed form his first edition; it seems it is abbandon by his editors without improve it in the years. I think the course is not well focused on very important aspects of R programming; moreover the support material and the programming assignment are not well designed and documented, you need to train yourself on other site or in the forum to learn how to face up with assignment.