Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG

Jul 03, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

KR

Aug 18, 2020

Very good and challenging material! This motivated me to do better in my Calculus Courses. Would definitely have more of these courses soon, as this is suited for higher mathematics in college.

376 - 400 of 414 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Timur S

Mar 31, 2020

thanks great course! please, make about stability and dynamic system

By Wenruo H

Dec 05, 2016

It could be better if we can see the key or tips for the homework.

By Mohammad H

Mar 22, 2018

a good and neat course, I used it for reviewing and it went well

By Yashh S K

Nov 29, 2018

Everything was exceptionally well taught except the Big-O part.

By Peanut G

Jun 11, 2017

my first math.It is the best lecturein in my university life

By Fulgence O I

Jan 07, 2019

Very well and simply explained

Made review easier for me

By Kasym N

Jun 23, 2020

Still, I couldn't grab the meaning of Limits.

By Shwet R

Jan 10, 2016

Its really challenging and rewarding course.

By adilet a

Jun 17, 2016

This is very good course for students!!!

By Rajasekhar

May 21, 2016

Good illustration of complex topics.

By Atef H

May 21, 2016

Great new approach towards calculus.

By PADMA A

May 12, 2020

The course is really informative

By Ahsan M

Jan 25, 2020

great course fot beignners !!

By Jaspreet S

May 20, 2016

Very good!

By Aditya T

Jun 25, 2017

good

By Senanayake H

Dec 19, 2016

good

By Suman K

Jun 21, 2020

nic

By Jonah A

Feb 11, 2019

E

By Arthur H G

Oct 04, 2020

Much of the couse is good but the Homework test for Exponentials is attrocious.

Firstly the person setting it needs to learn English. Questions 6 & 7 say "which of the following expressions describes ..." describes is the singular form of the verb and leads one to expect only one expression applies. I did these questions twice being marked wrong because I had only included one answer It needs altering to "describe".

There are 2 correct answers listed for the first question but the marking system does not recognise one of them,

Question 8 again expects 2 answers but does not indicate there is more than one.

I did this test twice getting 50% but on realising these weaknesses i had no problem getting 100% but resdent wasting a whole morning because of your errors.

By Suyash M

Mar 18, 2019

Very good course for revisiting calculus. It never feels old as it tackles functions and limits from a different perspective - that of the Taylor Series. But it is mostly concerned with evaluating limits and series. Some things were assumed to be true without explanation, which, I admit, might have made understanding them easier. But it slightly chafes the mind to know something without knowing proof for it, and how it came to be. Some questions that may arise but remain unanswered in the lectures include : How to find the domain of convergence of a series? Where did the Taylor's Series formula come from? These and some more are not addressed in this course, but they might be in the future chapters (which I have not completed)

By Becky B

Aug 17, 2020

I find the forums much more difficult to navigate than the edx.com MIT calculus course forums. So when I had a question on a homework question or needed additional explanation for a particular topic or type of problem I found it frustratingly difficult to find help in the forums.

I know he is very popular, and his videos are well done, but I didn't learn nearly as much as when I took the MIT courses on edx. I didn't feel like the videos adequately prepared me to be successful on the homework.

By NA

Sep 05, 2020

This course is good and the lecture is okay. However, I hated lengthy question that only assess your time in multiplication and addition of terms. I expect hard questions mean question that trigger higher level order thinking not complex multiplication and addition that is really time consuming but can be done without using critical thinking skills.