Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG
Jul 2, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

KR
Aug 17, 2020

Very good and challenging material! This motivated me to do better in my Calculus Courses. Would definitely have more of these courses soon, as this is suited for higher mathematics in college.

401 - 422 of 422 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By Aditya T

Jun 25, 2017

good

By Senanayake H

Dec 18, 2016

good

By Suman K

Jun 21, 2020

nic

By Jonah A

Feb 11, 2019

E

By Arthur H G

Oct 4, 2020

Much of the couse is good but the Homework test for Exponentials is attrocious.

Firstly the person setting it needs to learn English. Questions 6 & 7 say "which of the following expressions describes ..." describes is the singular form of the verb and leads one to expect only one expression applies. I did these questions twice being marked wrong because I had only included one answer It needs altering to "describe".

There are 2 correct answers listed for the first question but the marking system does not recognise one of them,

Question 8 again expects 2 answers but does not indicate there is more than one.

I did this test twice getting 50% but on realising these weaknesses i had no problem getting 100% but resdent wasting a whole morning because of your errors.

By Suyash M

Mar 18, 2019

Very good course for revisiting calculus. It never feels old as it tackles functions and limits from a different perspective - that of the Taylor Series. But it is mostly concerned with evaluating limits and series. Some things were assumed to be true without explanation, which, I admit, might have made understanding them easier. But it slightly chafes the mind to know something without knowing proof for it, and how it came to be. Some questions that may arise but remain unanswered in the lectures include : How to find the domain of convergence of a series? Where did the Taylor's Series formula come from? These and some more are not addressed in this course, but they might be in the future chapters (which I have not completed)

By Becky B

Aug 17, 2020

I find the forums much more difficult to navigate than the edx.com MIT calculus course forums. So when I had a question on a homework question or needed additional explanation for a particular topic or type of problem I found it frustratingly difficult to find help in the forums.

I know he is very popular, and his videos are well done, but I didn't learn nearly as much as when I took the MIT courses on edx. I didn't feel like the videos adequately prepared me to be successful on the homework.

By NA

Sep 5, 2020

This course is good and the lecture is okay. However, I hated lengthy question that only assess your time in multiplication and addition of terms. I expect hard questions mean question that trigger higher level order thinking not complex multiplication and addition that is really time consuming but can be done without using critical thinking skills.

By Tomas R

Great course, but I think that Calculus One (

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculus_One) is even beter. I found it more comprehensible.

By Canan G

Apr 19, 2020

Thanks for your efforts for this course but despite i have finished the course, it was hard for me

By Emil E H

Feb 15, 2016

The lecturer wasn't very engaging. I gave up and continued with Ohio's Calculus course instead.

By Elany A d C

May 3, 2020

Taylor series is not important. I miss derivate, integral and more about limits and functions.

By james.v

Jul 16, 2019

Lot of gab between video lecture and assignment problems

By Saad M S M K

Jan 16, 2016

very defcult

By Omar A K

Aug 2, 2017

Easy if you consider the fact that I learned the proper definition of the limit before differentiation and before (of course) any presentation of the Taylor series, with the proper integral rest of course, french mathematical education is not that bad after all.

By fadi E

Apr 24, 2020

The course is heavily based on personal effort and not on explanation from the instructor. The course forced me to take more searches in the internet and find wonderful sites and tools related to the taylor series.

By Ashkan R

Feb 5, 2016

Calculus isn't that LONG!! you can divide it into 2 courses, not 4, namely single- and multi- variable(s).

By Lazizbek Y

Jul 30, 2020

What a ridiculous course?!?! Hey guys, who did just rate it 5, I don't get at all!!! If you are reading this negative comments in order to understand wether to enrol, don't this!!! A little short video and a supercomplicated homework.

Isn't it strange assumption to assume, that the student already knows almost whole Calculus?

Just the waste of two precious days in my life, I could spend much much better!

The only thing I got from this course, I have to review my precalculus and I do not have so good Calculus basics as I thought!

I'd like to ask professor, who this course is for? I will go to Krista King to udemy instead.

HEY, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

By Saqer j a a

Oct 29, 2020

the level of quizzes not fit with the materials contributed from the instructor

By Tone M

May 22, 2020

15 minute cartoon then some unrelated problems?

No thanks