Back to Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this first part--part one of five--you will extend your understanding of Taylor series, review limits, learn the *why* behind l'Hopital's rule, and, most importantly, learn a new language for describing growth and decay of functions: the BIG O....

YG
Jul 2, 2018

Very well structured for a refresher course. Thank you Professor Ghrist for your effort in putting this course together. A little additional outside research was required but well worth the effort.

NL
Feb 9, 2021

Excellent introduction to Calculus, I wanted to review the material to tutor my child but I am very happy that I learned a whole new way of looking at Calculus.\n\nThank you so much Prof. Ghrist.

451 - 462 of 462 Reviews for Calculus: Single Variable Part 1 - Functions

By james.v

Jul 16, 2019

Lot of gab between video lecture and assignment problems

By Saad M S M K

Jan 16, 2016

very defcult

By Omar A K

Aug 2, 2017

Easy if you consider the fact that I learned the proper definition of the limit before differentiation and before (of course) any presentation of the Taylor series, with the proper integral rest of course, french mathematical education is not that bad after all.

By fadi E

Apr 24, 2020

The course is heavily based on personal effort and not on explanation from the instructor. The course forced me to take more searches in the internet and find wonderful sites and tools related to the taylor series.

By Ashkan R

Feb 5, 2016

Calculus isn't that LONG!! you can divide it into 2 courses, not 4, namely single- and multi- variable(s).

By Lazizbek Y

Jul 30, 2020

What a ridiculous course?!?! Hey guys, who did just rate it 5, I don't get at all!!! If you are reading this negative comments in order to understand wether to enrol, don't this!!! A little short video and a supercomplicated homework.

Isn't it strange assumption to assume, that the student already knows almost whole Calculus?

Just the waste of two precious days in my life, I could spend much much better!

The only thing I got from this course, I have to review my precalculus and I do not have so good Calculus basics as I thought!

I'd like to ask professor, who this course is for? I will go to Krista King to udemy instead.

HEY, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

By Krzysztof F

Jan 20, 2021

Most horrible teacher and course! There is something wrong with this guy. Have to unenrole, unable to follow.

By Devo

Feb 26, 2021

No explanation or training before exams. We enroll in the course to learn, not to get intimidated.

By Saqer j a a

Oct 29, 2020

the level of quizzes not fit with the materials contributed from the instructor

By Tone M

May 22, 2020

15 minute cartoon then some unrelated problems?

No thanks