Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python by IBM

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

SA
Apr 22, 2020

The lessons were short and easy to follow, providing all the basics as well as a few more advanced topics, to get student quickly up-to-speed on databases and SQL and their application in D/S realm.

101 - 125 of 1,475 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

By Ginger M

Apr 15, 2020

Totally recommended for those who want to learn about the key aspects of relational databases and SQL for Data Science. The optional labs that are offered in the course are really helfull and have relevant information too.

In my experience, in this Specialization Course I found the key aspects for developing a Data Science project.

By Lipin A

Jul 6, 2019

The course is pretty good and consists of step-by-step classes which learn us basic skills we are going to use and evolve in our real job: what is a query, how we can use and create it, how to obtain data from a database, how to check out some particular data from a database, and so on.

Many thanks for such interesting course!

By Kateryna H

Aug 11, 2019

It was so hard to work with Pyton, because I did do it before. Oh,... I missed this job (work with SQL)!

Thank you for these course! It was hard, boring when you don't understand something (or can't fix your mistake cause you can't find it! (haha) ), but it was a real good time for refreshing my memory and learning new ways.

By mallesh

Apr 8, 2019

This course provides good basic knowledge in Data Base and SQL (Structure Query Language). Even i don't know anything about Sql but after taking this course i got basic knowledge and to practice sql queries IBM itself provide their database DB2. I would say thanks for providing such brilliant course IBM and CourseEra.

By Shabanova O

Jun 17, 2020

I express my gratitude to the organizers of the course. The course was very exciting.

I discovered a lot of new things in working with databases. This is a new science for me. I realized that I need to deepen my annia in programming. Now I plan to take your Python for Data Science and AI course.

By Samriddh L

May 6, 2020

The best taught course in the Data Science professional certificate curriculum.

Everything is aptly incremental, every question, every slide, every week. You wont click the next button and be surprised by the information on that page!

Unlike the other courses I didnt question myself - am I supposed to know this?

By Ziliang T

Feb 17, 2020

This course is the most interactive learning experience I've had on Coursera. Thanks to the brilliant teachers from IBM and the great course they provided. The most memorable thing was the labs where I was able to experiment the knowledge myself. Would definitely recommend this to anyone starting to learn SQL!

By Jianxu S

Sep 2, 2019

I am a beginner when it comes to SQL and relational databases so the course is just right. It may feel a bit boring at times but that's the nature of the subject not how the course is written. Some repetition is good to refresh memory. I would definitely recommend this class for anyone new to SQL or Python.

By Sagarika S

Jul 8, 2020

This course is really amazing. With hands-on lab you will be able to master in SQL. I would like to recommend this course to everyone who wants to learn SQL from the beginning as well as to them who want to improve their SQL skill. Thank You, Rav Ahuja and Coursera for providing such valuable knowledge.

By Md. A A J

Mar 26, 2020

It's a great opportunity for me to learn Db2 on IBM cloud using Python, Jupiter notebook, SQL and relational database. Example cases, practice lab and final peer reviewed assignments are brilliant!!

Thanks courser for developing this interactive module to learn database and SQL on Db2 platform.

Ashfaque

By Benjamin H

Jun 26, 2019

I wanted to learn a little bit of everything about SQL queries and I found exactly what I was looking for. The lessons were quick, packed with information and challenging. When I combine this knowledge with what I have already learned in Python I feel like I am well on my way to bigger projects.

By Tam D

Mar 6, 2019

Great content. Delivered in a format that would get you from no SQL knowledge to querying real world data sets in a few weeks. Off course, as with everything, you would need more practice to develop your skills. This course definitely provides the foundation for that additional practice.

By Adarsh K P

Feb 13, 2020

very good course and lot of labs to practice yourself..if you are new to database or sql then this is for you it has some extra information explaining some of the jargons used in database system.

I'am just a fan of Coursera and the way of teaching, i am very satisfied with this course.

By Vivek G

Mar 6, 2020

Brilliant Course, I have learned so much and found a new passion for SQL. The best part of this was the real world data that we work with and the way the hands-on sessions, particularly the ones in Week 4 are. They guide you in a way that you learn how to develop queries...great fun.

By Jonathan W

May 5, 2020

Der Kurz hat mir sehr geholfen, mit SQL Datenbanken mehr vertraut zu werden. Besonders hilfreich war die Mischung zwischen Theorie Input und den Hands-On Labs. Somit konnte ich erste Erfahrung im SQL Queries schreiben sammeln und mit den Tools für Datenbanken arbeiten. Sehr gut.

By Shikha K

Oct 26, 2018

Databases and SQL for Data Science is great course for all those, who are eager to learn SQL. It was great a experience to run a SQL Query on IBM Cloud also on Jupiter. The course content covers almost every corners. I will highly recommend this course to anyone wanna learn SQL.

By KD 7

Aug 21, 2020

In-depth course for SQL. This was very well planned understanding the mindset of a New Be. One needs to practice the concepts like once in three days to be on the toes. Thank you Coursera and all Professors who made this possible! Hoping to meet you again on the next course.

By Aseel A H

Apr 8, 2020

A while back, I had taken my first Database and SQL course in university so this course was a great reinforcement of my existing knowledge while expanding on some concepts and using new tools I was not familiar with. So thank you dear instructors for this excellent course!

By Edward K

May 1, 2019

Phenomenal in-course assignments and notebooks to test, learn, and try out code with in-depth instructions (read: screenshots) and explanations! The videos are also really helpful for understanding databases and the "save note" function is well done. Thank you IBM team!!

By Esteban J R

Mar 8, 2020

The course is an excellent introduction to SQL.

All the materials are provided to you, so all you need is a computer and an internet connection.

I think you can get the most of it if you are already familiar with some basic concepts of data science and data structures.

By Alexander G

Jan 17, 2021

I completed 4 course weeks in one calendar week. During this week, I refreshed my knowledge in SQL and Python, got acquainted with IBM_DB2 and entertained myself with some mild brain activities constructing queries. Many thanks to all those who developed this course!

By Aman T

Apr 19, 2020

This was a nice course and I learned a lot. Knowing database language is must to beome sucessful data scientist and this course will teach you everything you should know to gey started with sql. I highly recommend this course to enroll and learn something from this.

By Jason J D

Aug 31, 2019

Very good course for SQL and Databases. Goes through the concepts of Databases, SQL, how to access data from Databases using Python, and SQL Magic. The course content is good and the labs are amazing. Anyone who aspires to work with Databases should try this course!

By Hitesh R

Feb 19, 2020

I liked this course. It was really informative and helpful. I would like to see you guys coming up with another course teaching about how to collect data from different sources if it is not readily available as .csv file.

Thank you for this wonderful course.

By Edison G B

Apr 27, 2020

Liked the video material (from IBM Cognitive Labs) which provided a very good conceptual understanding of relational databases and SQL querying language. Also useful to understand how to query a SQL server on the cloud (in this case IBM Cloud) from python.