Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AL
Aug 21, 2020

A comprehensive course that covers major aspects of query building and retrieval in a management system. The topics were delivered well and the materials/assignments were relevant for skill-building.

401 - 425 of 2,533 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Emilio G P

Nov 25, 2020

I started learning SQL from 0 and it has been a nice course to follow to have a good basic understanding of what SQL is. I highly recommend it.

By Aveek A

Nov 17, 2020

Very impressive course for beginners to learn all about SQL. This course is very in depth learning and lots of exercises to practice and learn.

By Rishi P

Jun 30, 2020

I liked the lectures of the course a lot. They were informative while being concise. The assignment at the end was the best part in my opinion.

By Sourabh S

Jun 21, 2020

Such a great course provided by Coursera with great teaching faculty who made this course very easy to understand by giving real life examples.

By David M S

Apr 17, 2020

Very nice course. I knew nothing about SQL and now I can say that I am very satisfied with my achievements through this course.

100% recommended

By Joann Y

Sep 21, 2020

This was a really well done course for SQL for beginners. I really felt that it helped me understand the foundational concepts needed for SQL.

By Rita K

Apr 1, 2020

Very well structured and clearly presented. I was new to SQL when I started and now I can run actual queries against databases and they work!

By Sochneva E

Oct 5, 2019

I knew SQL before this course. But it was useful and interesting for me. I had a good time. Lector has good pronunciation. Use it, recomend)

By Esther N

Sep 10, 2018

I would say that this course was simplified in layman's term yet very powerful and technical when it comes to querying techniques or syntax.

By Gaurang K

Jun 27, 2020

It was fun doing this course. I learnt a lot of things regarding data analysis and I am able to improve my skills regarding SQL. Great Job!

By Ameer A

One of the best course for Beginners, The practice module and peer assignments helps a lot to work on our own methods to identify solution.

By Sean M

Apr 14, 2020

Nicely organized course. Very practical - yet with some theory behind it. I was able to use what I learned, right away. Thank you Coursera!

By Noor S

May 3, 2019

I loved this course. I got to learn lot from this course. As I was zero in programming, this course gave my programming skills a new start.

By Sreeparna D

Sep 4, 2020

one of the best courses for SQL. It covers all basic concepts and it is a great way to start a new journey towards being a data scientist.

By ANJALI J

Jul 24, 2020

It should have more coding practice problems in between the long list of videos of each week, just like learn and practice simultaneously.

By Uttiya K

Jun 18, 2020

I learned a lot. I was naive before doing this course, now I am confident I know a lot better. Kudos to the instructor and the whole team.

By Juan M F

Awesome learning of SQL. Programming techniques helpind Data Science to be developed. You wouldn´t have neve imagined how SQL can help DS.

By Aditya

Oct 4, 2019

Perfect course for SQL beginners. It will take you to a beginner-intermediate stage in a manner which enhances your overall understanding.

By Raylia G

Jul 28, 2018

The course is great! I love the data scientist role play part, make me feel like I can apply what I learned here into real world business.

By Melisa C

May 24, 2021

Dr. Sadie is amazing at explaining. I learned a lot. One big plus is that the course has practical excercises that help you learn. great.

By Kazi J R

May 6, 2021

This is the best course for beginners in learning SQL. I have learned to extract data for my needs by optimizing queries. Happy Learning.

By Asmahanim B A

Jan 3, 2021

it is a great course. A good course for beginner to SQL. It is easily understood and I think it is going to help more in my working life.

By HARSH K S

Amazing experience. The lecture was the best and present in a very lucid manner.

The community for Discussion was also helpful and active.

By Suyash A

Oct 4, 2019

The course is simple and to the point, it teaches you the basics of data analysis as well how you can start thinking as a Data scientist.

By Muhammad A

May 5, 2019

I like the way course is organized and delivered. Easy to grasp the concepts and particularly I love playing with the Practice Exercises.