Back to Statistical Molecular Thermodynamics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Statistical Molecular Thermodynamics by University of Minnesota

This introductory physical chemistry course examines the connections between molecular properties and the behavior of macroscopic chemical systems....

CM

May 14, 2020

Excellently taught course, instructor is very knowledgeable and has an impeccable pedagogy. Quizzes are just challenging enough to maintain interest in the subject matter being taught. 10/10

JJ

Nov 06, 2017

A beautiful well taught course. The lecturers were not boring and the teaching was very lively. It opened my mind to the importance of thermodynamics in many real world applications.

1 - 25 of 65 Reviews for Statistical Molecular Thermodynamics

By Carlos A J C

Sep 15, 2018

This is a very well designed thermodynamics course. I'm a Chemical Engineer and i am glad to have a new point of view of my daily rutine. 100% recomended to my collegues

By Bharath N k

Jul 12, 2020

wow,the courses really proves how micro molecular energies contribute to a compound which is in macro level with a highly precise tool which is our quantum mechanics in statistical manner along with that classical subject is really objective . the professor and the staff are so interactive inspite the course has been educating for 7 years . good thing about professor is more handy with words and so active which made me much more involving and enjoying .thank you and i also appreciate the team who worked on it.

By Thiago F d P

Mar 21, 2020

The course is very well designed. There are classical thermodynamic topics, molecular elements and experimental demonstrations. All these fundamentals were very well intertwined. It is overall a very good introduction to thermodynamics. I have already done classical thermodynamics in the university. I used the course specially for an introduction to the molecular part, which I have never studied before. It was still very useful and informative. I totally recommend the course for both reasons.

By Dan O

Dec 07, 2016

Chris Cramer is a great speaker who clearly put a lot of care into how this material was presented. I have taken physical chemistry in my undergrad education and did well in it, but still learned a lot from the ~4 weeks of this course I actually did last time. By using base theoretical principles to motivate the thermodynamic principles, I got a different way to think about things I was familiar with and gave me a more intuitive understanding for certain things.

By Jayaraam R

Excellent content, and a very competent instructor who knows his stuff. I learned a lot from this course, and most of this wasn't taught even in my second year of Bachelor's degree in Chemistry. The demonstrations were very useful in grasping some key concepts which I couldn't understand from the lectures. The questions asked were of a good difficulty level and made me think a lot. Overall, I enjoyed this course and would recommend it to everyone.

By Ghammad F

Aug 08, 2020

I would like to thank sincerely all the people at the University of Minnesota involved, directly or indirectly, in the development of this very high quality course in statistical molecular thermodynamics. In addition, I have no doubt that these lessons will be a source of light and help, of course, for my future technical responsibilities in chemical sciences, but above all for a better understanding of our universe.

By Rod B

Apr 30, 2017

Excellent course. Outstanding presentation in a lively and engaging style. The material is explained very clearly and in good detail, with frequent reminders of previous items when relevant. Also benefits from humourous and diverting practical demonstrations of physical & chemical effects. Only shortcoming in my view is that the homework grading is only available if you stump up the fee of £39.

By James E T

Dec 10, 2015

I took the course when it was first offered in 2013, and found it to be one of the best organized, most clearly presented on-line courses that I have seen. I recently re-enrolled in order to review, and was pleasantly surprised to see that the professor has made some follow-on lectures available on Youtube. I hope that this additional material will eventually be the basis for another course.

By Riccardo D C

Feb 21, 2018

This is the best organized course on any platform, MOOC or live-in-classroom. Lectures, reading material, supporting documentation... everything is perfectly well laid out, sequentially, and in good order. Really, a delight taking this course. Even for students whose math skills are rusty, the concepts are ideally presented. Bravo to the instructor and supporting staff!

By Tetala M S R

One of the best courses for thermodynamics with molecular approach.Well detailed and really well explained.Though this course is categorized as beginner level,having some prior knowledge of thermodynamics will be helpful.The assignments,on-spot assessment questions between video clips are of very good standard and also well documented and well explained.

By Adriel S M

Apr 24, 2020

Very well structured material and clear expositions that help to understand the foundations that fill the gap between molecular and macroscopic thermodynamics in a simplified (i.e. ideal gases), yet suitable context. Besides, demonstrations are thoroughly chosen and help to illustrate the theoretical contents. I really enjoyed the course.

By Bradford S

Jun 20, 2016

A very thorough and clear coverage of thermodynamics and gas behavior. The lectures are very well-produced, accessible, and paced nearly perfectly. Great demonstrations, humor, and history keep the material relevant and exciting. Would highly recommend to physicists, chemists, and engineers of all backgrounds!

By Haris K

Dec 19, 2019

The course i attempt is very helpful to enhance my theoretical knowledge in the thermodynamic subject. I feel very privileged to gain the opportunity and learn from a reputed institute with the help of this platform.

By Valderio d O C F

May 08, 2017

It is an excellent course! Professor Cramer made an outstanding version of statistical thermodynamics, presenting the more relevant concepts, instigating our curiosity with demonstrations in a well-structured course.

By Richard M

Oct 15, 2015

Good course!

I recommend to anyone who wants to know more Statistical Molecular Thermodynamics.

The classes are fun and the assignments challenging. If you can afford a certificate do it because it is worthy!

By 张润东

Aug 30, 2019

This is a very good course, in which theory and practice are well linked, and this course is very interesting. But it would be better if there were detailed lecture notes in addition to slides.

By Cedric M

May 14, 2020

By John A J

Nov 06, 2017

By Ailo A

Nov 22, 2015

Some of the best lectures I've ever seen. They manage to present difficult and subtle material in a clear manner. Exercises were good too. I learned a lot! Thanks from Norway :)

By Julian M R

Dr. Cramer does an excellent job of connecting the abstract concepts with concrete examples to help you really understand/appreciate the underlying relationships.

By Michael S

Aug 30, 2018

Interesting and challenging. It brings together some Stats, Chemistry and Physics. The homework was thought provoking and informative. I learned a great deal.

By Oscar J M P

Jul 31, 2016

Es un curso muy completo, abarca varios temas con gran detalle. Siento que aprendí bastante y pude conocer una visión de la química bastante interesante.

By Richelle J L T

Jul 17, 2020

Worth it! The videos and references are very helpful especially the problems with explanation. The lecturer is also very responsive to questions.

By lcy9086

Aug 14, 2018

Great course with clear lecture and experimental illustration! Even for those who have already studied physical chemistry. Really great course!

By Moataz A R

Jan 26, 2018

" Really informative and interesting, the instructor has a great ability to explain the most complex concepts in a clear and simple way "