Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

DM
Jan 8, 2021

This course has the power enough to change the course of your life. It can be a journey from misery to well being, if you follow the instructions given in this program. A must must must attend course.

JR
Jun 15, 2020

Love this course! Best class I’ve taken. I teach Social Skills and there are so many things I can incorporate into my classes as well as tools I can use in my own life! - Thank You!\n\nJessica Rhoades

276 - 300 of 10,000 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Yazan Z

Aug 26, 2019

Good insights, the professor keeps skipping things she told she would talk about, and she keeps changing one subject to another that makes it hard to grasp the concepts clearly!

By Rosa I

May 31, 2018

interesting course, good "life work" to help you build positive habits of mind. Would have preferred more guided online conversations amongst participants.

By Sónia I d C M C

Jul 7, 2020

The course should be based on a global culture, more generic and not so close to American culture and American authors.

By Silvana M C

Jul 24, 2019

In my opinion the teacher kept the same pace and voice, which made the course a little boring.

By Oliver C

Sep 16, 2020

Content pretty boring and only somewhat helpful

By Douglas O

May 10, 2021

Frankly, I was underwhelmed. There was way too little discussion about the intensity of the conflict between the things that make humans happy and the real world context of our lives. Without this, there seems to be too little acknowledgement of the challenge facing those who want to be happy in today's world and therefore the recommendations in the course come across as rather pollyannaish. Yes, you can empty a cup of water with a spoon - but if you're confronting a tidal wave, a spoon isn't going to be all that helpful.

Much of the data and literature used in the course is quite dated. As such, I didn't have a high level of confidence that the conclusions were really supported by a wide and continuing body of literature or whether they were simply cherry-picked to support the professor's views. (I also wondered how many of the referenced social science experiments were replicable.)

The software was a bit glitchy at times. Delays in elements being marked completed, etc. Could use some improvement.

I also thought the professor waffled more than a bit on the issue of social media. If social media is really making people intensely unhappy, say so - and then ask yourself how easy it would be to attend an modern academic institution without access to social media. (And, BTW, what's Yale doing about it?)

On the upside, the price is right for this online course. If you were going to spend money, however, I would suggest purchasing "Excellent Sheep" and then really talking about the main topics in the book with a group of friends.

By Jeremy P C

Mar 28, 2020

Nothing new as far as the educational approach. A nice compilation of data. Peer Review Assignment at the end left a lot to be desired. No quality feedback, real one on one with the educator due to the sheer volume/magnitude of the course. Guest videos were almost like salesmen with their published data.

By Muireann N R

Aug 4, 2020

I found a lot of it to be common knowledge and not the sort of wellbeing I was hoping for. I'm glad I've completed it but I didn't enjoy the lectures. I found them too clinical in terms of research and I found the lecturer too casual in her approach.

By Danielle D

Apr 2, 2021

Too superficial for me. Geared to undergraduate student experience and I am an adult with post graduate degrees sa JD life experiences.

Mar 7, 2021

This course is so messed up , why is it that a person have to pay for a certificate when they stated that the courses are free

Sep 26, 2020

oh esta en ingles

By Vlad Z

Nov 16, 2020

If this is the level of Yale professors - we are in trouble. Using filler word "like" non-stop. What this "scientist" preaches: refuse materialistic goals, reject this and that - is in absolute disagreement with the human nature. Better listen to Milton Friedman - I am not sure if she even heard of him. Or read Jonathan Haidt. This professor tries to do what communists tried to do in the Soviet Union - to create a new human. Fails every time. But colleges are hard at work in destroying the US.

By Rebeca R D S

Ola boa tarde, eu gostaria de fazer uma solicitação, pois eu ainda não consigo classificar bem o curso pela dificuldade que estou tendo no entendimento do idioma, e possível trocar minha plataforma do curso de inglês para português ( pergunta). Mas se não for possível mudar idioma eu gostaria de ter o dinheiro do curso de volta. Mas eu prefiro que sera trocado para português para que eu possa fazer e ter bom proveito do curso. Obrigada.

Meu email, cantorarebecarabello@gmail.com.

By Wendy M

Mar 23, 2021

Much of the course material contained typos or grammatical errors. The first quiz was incorrect. Much of the material was outdated or incorrectly interpreted. I went through the first five weeks of the course and learned nothing but some jargon with no real-world application.

By Allison S T

Apr 13, 2020

I can't do some stuff from my cellphone and my password won't let me log in from my computer. Even when I reset from my phone it still won't let me reset. It just takes me back to the course.

By Ethan T

Sep 6, 2020

It's stupid to allow others to determine my grade based on the information I put in. This has got to be, hands down, the worst grading system they could ever implement in a course.

By Черкис Я А

Oct 23, 2020

зачем русские субтитры на виднео, если всё остальное - теория, задания и проверочные тесты на английском? это курс по английскому языку?

By Cristian A L

Apr 9, 2020

Esta todo en ingles, no puedo ver los videos traducidos al Español

By Teron E N B

Apr 8, 2021

Not enough interactive learning

By Catherine A

Mar 17, 2021

Very biased and basic

By Raviprakash G

Nov 26, 2020

BAD

By Jane G

Jun 17, 2020

For a long time, I have been struggling in the whirlpool of negative thoughts. It is basically a negative idea when I encounter something uncomfortable, so that I am very afraid of being leisure, I feel that life has been pushed forward, rarely feeling in control of life. Maybe I am too sensitive? I feel that I must hold the railing when I walk down the stairs, worrying that I might step on the ground and fall.Over the years, I have tried various methods to ease negative thinking, which is somewhat effective, but it is good and bad. Now I can only be at home due to COIVD-19, maybe this is God's Intervention, then I can have more time to face the depths of my soul. I just saw this course on the website after spending a few days in isolation at home. Experience of years have enabled me to understand that practice and action are far more important than knowing the theory, despite facing inertia and laziness from time to time.Looking at my own records of rewirement for around two months, Basically, all rewirements--savoring, dailygratitude journal, random acts of kindness, social connection, exercise, sleep, meditation, and gratitude letter/visit-- have continued to do now. I found that the best performing is savoring, the worst is random acts of kindness. What has formed a habit is exercise.What needs to be improved is social connection and daily gratitude.

There was no clear execution plan at the beginning. It was not until two weeks ago that I saw the theory of individual development plan(IDP) which I realized that I still continued the arbitrariness of the past. Fortunately, I have a habit of recording slowly. At the same time, recording will also promote my own reflection and progress, so I stumbled on and persevered. Generally, every Monday, there is a goal to be achieved in a week and the corresponding plan. I will look at the records to detect the deficiencies in the process. This somehow makes up for my shortcomings of arbitrariness and inertia.

Through the record, I realized that if the plan was completed and it was calculated by ten points, I probably reached about seven points. Fortunately, when I am at home, I have enough time. If I have been busy in the past, I’m afraid my best is half of it. Comparing the scores of the questionnaire at the beginning and the present, and the slowly-perceived changes in mood in daily life, this course brings many good effects, specially savoring pleasures at present moment, doing meditation often. I have less anxiety. To quote the following, encourage those who are interested in Well-Being to move forward together.

Savor pleasures and live in the present moment

Make physical activity a habit

Are deeply committed to meaningful goals

Are often the first to help others

Nurture and enjoy social relationships

Are comfortable expressing gratitude

Practice optimism about future

We can take deliberate control of how we act and think through intentional activity.

From: Lyubomirsky(2001); Diener et al.(1999); Myers(2000), Diener & Lucas(1999); Argyle(1999).

By Timothy M

Apr 19, 2021

This course exceeded my expectations beyond belief.

After losing my younger cousin unexpectedly and then my best friend to suicide, I lost meaning and purpose in my life. As a result, I became treatment resistant to my mental health medications.

As if that weren't enough, my new business collapsed due to the unforeseen travesty that is COVID-19. The implausible idea of an actual global pandemic striking during our lifetime had suddenly become very real, very quick.

My 2 other independent contract positions that I was working to supplement my main income and hold me afloat as my business grew would shortly follow suit.

I began experiencing financial hardship, nearly got evicted from my residence and battled other obstacles...yes, there were others.

And this all happened in six months.

There were many months of deep hopelessness, helplessness and darkness that I won't get into. But then I came across The Science of Wellbeing.

This course reminded me of what it took in the past to want to get out of bed in the morning. It taught me to feel important--not even to others, but to myself. To practice kindness to others, even when the world hasn't been so kind to me. And so, so much more.

One of the greatest learning points for me is that we're wrong. We're human and we're so very wrong. Wrong about what we think we want and what we think will make us happy. Our intuitions are often wrong and the science corroborates it! This is something I really needed to see, to read and to become aware of right at this time in my life.

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this course or if I'd get anything at all out of it. I was skeptical, but had a little piece of hope because, honestly, nothing else was working for me. And I'm so glad that I did.

Since the start of this course and as it progressed, I decided to actively continue working on medication management and have since found a couple that are starting to help immensely.

I've rebuilt relationships with important people in my life.

I feel valuable most days.

I found the motivation to apply for a nationwide scholarship to attend the AAS21 conference hosted by the American Association of Suicidology.

...and won.

I now get to attend in my best friend, Mikey's, honor and use the knowledge I'll gain to help others who are hurting, since Mikey no longer can.

Professor Laurie Santos, you've not only made this course one of the most interesting and valuable courses I've ever taken, but created something so brilliant and life-changing. You've turned my life back around. You've ignited the spark in me that I thought went totally out.

And I thank you so very much.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you to Yale University, as well!

And thank you to Coursera!

Take this course everyone!

By Dr S

May 23, 2020

Hi Laura!

Am Suryakumari, halfway through the Course, The Science of Well Being, that you are handling so well. Being a fellow Prof, I can gauge each and every aspect that has been painstakingly included to make the Course heavy on content and yet seemingly light. Your presentation with the accompanying smile in the videos is the charmer! Keep Smiling!!

I would like to share the way am doing the Rewirements. Presently am on Week 3.

Am a 55 year old, a Life Skills Coach in addition to being an Economics Prof. These rewirements are an everyday process, not bragging..hope you can understand what am saying.. given my profession and age:)

My only problem, I am unable to categorize and do only one act of rewiring week-wise as prescribed.

In order to keep track and make note, I created an excel with categories (as Kindness, Savoring, Gratitude and Social Connection) and dates. Am describing the act in the table and made an extra column called 'Happiness Meter' and giving it a scale of 1-5. Lockdown started for me from Mar 15th, hence I made another sheet for that month calling it 'Lockdown Rewirements' although I started this Course only from Apr 12th.

Unable to attach the template here..can mail it if you let me know how. I have shared it in the Discussion Forum for others to use, if they like it.

All I need is to make a journal entry and categorize. I found this more interesting than marking circles on the given worksheet. Am sure this will be fun to maintain after the course completion, and will serve as a wake up call to be good, do good and feel good all through, not just during the Course. It will be nice to read this later as my Rewirements Diary!!

With nudges provided in the lectures, started a 'Recollections Project' with my 84 year old mom, who is a cancer survivor and has restricted mobility at home due to osteoarthritis. She's regaling us with childhood stories of her 13 siblings!!! Phase 2 will be us, her children:)

Thank you for the great Course you are conducting. All the Best. Stay safe, be Happy!!

The above was written much earlier. Now I have completed the Course. I did extremely great on bringing down Loneliness factor pre to post course scores. That shows how connected I felt with everyone ib the Course. Gonna miss this! This was my stress buster, really.

P.S: It would be a full circle if you can include the role of relationships in well being. Irrespective of the n number of rewirements one does, if there is the presence of a bully, dominant or abusive person in one's life, be it a parent, sibling, partner or colleague/boss at work, it affects well being and self esteem very badly. Moving out of the relationship may not always be possible. Hope you consider this aspect. Thank you.

By Markus L

Sep 5, 2020

My initial aim was and my motivation during the course has been getting some feeling of studying in a Yale class. This corresponds pretty good with Dr. Laurie Santos aim of her Welcome Letter: “To make the lectures feel more intimate, we filmed at my home in one of Yale’s residential colleges with a small group of Yale students in the audience … We understand that many of you taking the course are not currently college students, but we hope you see yourselves as though you are part of this virtual classroom.”

Despite the fact that I´m about 50 years old I have the unexplainable cheesy wish to study at Yale University. I would like to be merged in the on-campus life with all experiences at least for a short term. Living in a residential college with a roommate and having access to all facilities like the gym and libraries. For those who want to get a feeling for what dream I have there are two awesome image films available at YouTube which give a great impression (“That´s Why I Chose Yale” and “That´s Why I Toured Yale”).

Taking this daydream into account it is easy understandable that I enjoyed all the video lectures that were produced in the awesome surrounding of the Master´s House of Sillimann College. It is some kind of wellness for the eyes seeing Laurie Santos sitting in this beautiful flower pattern wing chair. This set of optical attraction prepared my mind for sucking in the content of all lectures. For me as it is probably for many others too not only the contend counts it is also important how the content is provided like good arranged food in a nice ambient versus eating the same food in a takeaway box while riding the overcrowded NYC Subway.

Another reason why I have enjoyed the course during the last 10 weeks is that I have deeply savored practicing all study work in English. Reading, listening and writing as I do right now. It is a fantastic and satisfying activity for me as none native speaker experiencing the capability of being able to fully participate in an English class at Yale. Here it is the same as it is described with the beautiful environment above. I am not that focused on the aim reaching more well-being at the end of the course for me there has already been well-being conducting the course. I have been challenged and in flow.

Along with the above mentioned it is obviously that the content of the course has connected me with my real wishes and values which is a good start to continue a long lasing journey.

I couldn´t have made a better choice than taking “The Science of Well-Being”. A big thank you to Dr. Laurie Santos and all of the crew which created and produced this awesome online course, well done!