Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY

Jul 06, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

SM

Jun 11, 2020

551 - 575 of 606 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Johan

Jun 26, 2020

Excellent. Interesting and entertaining.

By Johan P

Jun 08, 2020

it was nice to have done this curse

By W

Aug 14, 2019

Some videos are a little bit long!

By Nejat M E

Dec 16, 2019

it was a fun and a challenge

By Bulbul S

Sep 01, 2020

It is an excellent course!!

By SUBRAMANIAN E

Apr 28, 2020

Good understanding course

By SHARMA H P

Nov 16, 2017

very helpful course.....

By Nguyen T K

Jun 19, 2017

this course is so useful

By Christian D

Feb 28, 2017

Excellent

By NIYA P

Aug 28, 2020

good

By Laura B

Jan 03, 2020

Very

By Jacob A V

Oct 17, 2019

Good

By vidushi k

Feb 01, 2019

good

By Saurabh J

Nov 16, 2017

Nov 10, 2017

s

By Greg G

Aug 16, 2016

Dr. Sinnott-Armstrong does an amazingly thorough and detailed job, and the progression of the course is well planned and well executed.

I wanted to give the course a higher rating, but unfortunately, the good doctor's explanatory skills only served to confuse and frustrate me, the further I progressed through the course. Extemporaneous examples were unintentionally and unnecessarily muddled. There were numerous misspoken or confused terms that could easily have been re-recorded or edited. And the splicing between the old course and the new one is sometimes discontinuous (though, to be fair, they warn us about that at the beginning).

Nevertheless, I would still highly recommend the course to anyone looking for a thorough-going university-level course in critical thinking, and basic argumentation.

By Ahmed S G

It was good, but it provided too much attention to argument evaluation. I guess knowing which kind of arguments I am having right now, which is valid or invalid, doesn't make me deal well with the argument. It may be satisfying to say that these premises are not good, real, or related to the conclusion. I hope I will be wrong and find that detailed section so valuable.