Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

RB
Sep 14, 2020

Very well explained with lots of practical examples - would highly recommend this course to anyone looking at getting an initial understanding of design thinking and how it can be applied practically.

LM
Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

226 - 250 of 2,084 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By Sachin K

Mar 19, 2017

This course is so elegantly structured that in spite of very busy schedule of mine I could still complete it and also could quickly apply. I think the fundamental thinking of "Fail or succeed fast" is built in to this course

By Arun

Oct 2, 2019

The whole course is structured in a very systematic way to make everyone understand the concept. we can feel the experience of professors who are teaching the subject. Live examples made this course interesting and engaging

By Erica I

Nov 2, 2020

This course was great! It was really easy to follow along and I appreciate how it was broken out into easily digestible sections. I would recommend this to those looking for a fresh perspective on how to tackle challenges!

By Dr. N V V J

May 15, 2020

Its really an awesome course which gave a very good knowledge about innovation and design thinking through many examples - mainly story telling. we are great that we are introduced with four important tools generally used.

By Suryanarayanan K

Oct 23, 2017

Very well structured and organized course. The learning material was just right. I got the value I expected from this course. Jeanne is an excellent tutor. The effort Darden has put in to develop this course is impressive.

By Harish

Jun 20, 2016

Absolutely awesome course. Makes you really go back to the drawing board and re-evalate if we are building products the right way with our customers in mind. A must have course for every product developer and entrepreneur.

By Raul I J

Oct 26, 2020

It's a good introduction to design thinking and how we could use this methodology to achieve our goals.

Considero que es una buena introducción al pensamiento de diseño y como usarlo para lograr nuestras metas al innovar.

By Josué C M O

Mar 28, 2017

It is a very interesting course that helps people undertand new methologies for innovation. I recommend taking this course if you want to provoke change in your company and in your life, but till now you do not know how.

By Pallamraju Y

Oct 17, 2020

It's a well laid out great course on Design Thinking. Narration & coaching by Leidtka is awesome, and course is structured in a way that it holds the student's eagerness to understand basics of Design Thinking easily.

By Melissa S

May 13, 2020

I definitely recommend it. I explained in a broad way how this technique or method of Design Thinking could help corporations and individuals to create new services and products, and to improve the ones we already have.

By Sphiwe D

Dec 12, 2019

This was a really nice course and I really enjoyed it. It was exactly what I needed since I am currently working on a project that requires my team members and myself to apply the Design Thinking methodology. Thank you!

By Tim M

Dec 4, 2019

This course is an excellent overview of design thinking with case studies. It provides excellent foundational material and sources for further study and practice. The peer-review final assignment exercises the learning.

By Saad Y

Feb 8, 2017

A very nice course for entrepreneurs and the people working for innovation to make the world a better place. In this course, I learnt about the basics of design thinking, it's tools and their application in the process.

By Pedro C

Jan 23, 2017

I think its a straightforward course thus being effective. It talks about the mindshift needed and the tools available. It also brings several good examples. I also like Professor Liedtka enthusiasm and holistic vision.

By Mellina M Y Y

Mar 21, 2016

Filled with real world examples and step-by-step process, Design Thinking for Innovation is an awesome course to get started on Design Thinking. This was specially useful for my upcoming projects so thank you very much!

By Chandan V

Mar 31, 2020

This course is designed well and the examples are also very properly placed with the course content. Learnt a lot from the course, I think this course would be helpful for all irrespective of the Industry they work in.

By Amod K

Mar 10, 2020

Content was well covered with case studies and examples. Tools shared in this course are useful in day to day practice and to derive outcome. It helped me in structuring thought process well during innovation process.

By Purushottam B

Jul 10, 2020

Very nicely developed with powerful videos, content and resources. For a beginner who is interested in DT I think it is one of the best courses. My heartfelt gratitude to Prof. Jeanne for floating such a nice course.

By Marco P

Jan 7, 2020

Enlightening! It gives clear structure to many notions and preconceived ideas. It provides useful tools to face the ever-changing environment with innovation bravery. I liked it a lot and start applying it right away.

By Michael T O

Mar 22, 2019

The course was a great introduction to the design thinking process. I found it to be surprisingly powerful and effective in illustrating how to 'design think' and have already applied it to my job. Highly recommend!

By Zachary B

Jan 25, 2021

I've been exposed to many of these concepts briefly but UVA does a good job of teaching basic concepts and illustrating those concepts with stories. I'll sign up for another UVA course and maybe apply to their MBA.

By Tali T

Sep 14, 2017

I enjoyed the course very much, and found it highly insightful. I look forward continuing learning and applying Design Thinking, as it is a great creative and effective approach to any challenge and organization.

I

By Neeraj K s

Jul 27, 2020

The course was quite amazing and the best part of this is that we can actually apply the method in real scenario. Thank you for bringing this course on Coursera. The instructor was also very engaging and polite.

By Kelli K

Feb 28, 2017

Excellent, fresh content. I've taken many courses on design thinking, but this one was unique in its tone and approach. It speaks to the executive audience in a way other materials have not, which I appreciated.

By Gabriel F

Nov 15, 2015

Very good course I recommend to everyone interested in learning new ways to develop solutions in any field of business or beyond, Jeanne is a great teacher an explains all with simplicity and easy understanding.