Back to Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan by The University of Tokyo

In their ambition to capture “real life,” Japanese painters, poets, novelists and photographers of the nineteenth century collaborated in ways seldom explored by their European contemporaries. This course offers learners the chance to encounter and appreciate behavior, moral standards and some of the material conditions surrounding Japanese artists in the nineteenth century, in order to renew our assumptions about what artistic “realism” is and what it meant. Learners will walk away with a clear understanding of how society and the individual were conceived of and represented in early modern Japan. Unlike contemporary western art forms, which acknowledge their common debt as “sister arts” but remain divided by genre and discourse, Japanese visual and literary culture tended to combine, producing literary texts inspired by visual images, and visual images which would then be inscribed with poems and prose. Noticing and being able to interpret this indivisibility of visual/literary cultures is essential in understanding the social and psychological values embedded within the beauty of Japanese art....

DP
Oct 8, 2020

Very interesting where I finished the whole course 2 weeks before the due date because I really enjoyed it. I have been a Japan fanatic since middle school so this course is really my cup of tea

SC
Sep 5, 2019

It has expanded my views not only on Japan Visual and Literary Culture but also has open for me a new way of looking at portraits in different cultures and times. Thank you so much

51 - 75 of 140 Reviews for Words Spun Out of Images: Visual and Literary Culture in Nineteenth Century Japan

By pika c

Sep 13, 2020

Great course. Why such a bad looking certificate? I can't use for anything. It's not the professor's real name. It reads "John Doe" and the signature says "signature". It looks like a joie. I can't use it for anything.

By luciana a a

Aug 30, 2020

A lovely course to know a bit more about image and literature. I loved every single video for they're all very well organized and brought very interesting information about this period. Besides our instructor is great.

By Monica F B F

Mar 30, 2018

Me encanto el curso, ya que no solo aprendí de arte e historia de Japón, sino que las lecciones me llevaron paso a paso a comprender mejor las formas de expresión como la pintura, literatura y fotografía y su objetivo.

By Andrew S

Nov 9, 2017

Excellent course! Well-presented, interesting and unusual subject matter, pitched well for beginners and people with some knowledge. I would be interested in studying other courses by the same institution or presenter.

By Azajul I N

May 13, 2020

I have come to know a lot of unknown facts about the cultures of Japan from this course. My curiosity about Japan has been mitigated by this program. Thanks to the University of Tokyo for this nice course. Well done.

By Ana L U

Nov 12, 2020

This is a very interesting course. It opens a new window of looking at the Japanese culture that's been immortalized through the connection between visual and literary media. Thank you so much Professor Campbell.

By Maria L M

Sep 19, 2020

Professor Robert Campbell is amazing and will take you through a beautiful journey where you will learn about Japanese visual and literary traditions before, during, and after the Edo period. 100% recommended.

By Valentina B

Apr 2, 2020

I have studied Japanese culture and art in the past, but this particular topic was incredibly interesting and new to me. The lecturer was very clear and precise, which I found helpful.

By Regina P

Jun 19, 2020

Marvelous course! I've learned many cultural things about Japan and now I look forward to learning more. The professor was very clear and his examples were really interesting.

By Archisha B

Jul 26, 2020

A very inspiring and informative course. Really broadened my ways of viewing not only Japanese art and literature, but also any other form of art from any part of the world.

By Moritz S

Mar 30, 2020

A very interesting look into intermedial relations between images and writing in early modern to modern Japan. Prof. Campbell's personal collection is certainly impressive!

By OMKAR

Aug 5, 2020

It was such a wonderful course and I'm glad that I've gained an insight into the literary culture of Japan as well as the visual elements associated with it.

By yan l

Oct 9, 2018

Fantastic course and the teacher is so erudited. After the course, I want to have more MOOCS with this teacher. What an intellectual model this teacher is!

By Коршунова Е В

Nov 3, 2019

I am so grateful for the opportunity to take this course. I would definitely recommend it to everyone who is interested in Japanese art and history.

By Hiranmoy L

Oct 16, 2017

Great course, excellent teaching by sensei. ALthough subtitles sometimes are wrongly interpreted (like 'major restoration' nstead of 'Meiji'

By Andrea K L

Dec 28, 2017

Excellent introduction, I enjoyed this course tremendously, very informative, learned a lot.

Many thanks to Professor Campbell and his team!

By Bert S

Jul 25, 2020

Surprisingly interesting to me. I first thought it had a limited scope but that gradually proved wrong. Thank you for creating the course.

By Jerome H

Jul 10, 2020

面白かった. It is the first time i understood that combination of images and poems or words was a specificity of Japan in the 19-20th century.

By Itziar B

Nov 19, 2020

I really enjoyed and learned, maybe a little short ...

Right now, I want to read a lot of about the themes suggested !!!

Thanks a lot !!!

By Yujin l

Nov 2, 2018

the lecturer is knowledgeable and engaging. it greatly enriched my appreciation of japanese arts and culture. i highly recommend it.

By Maria J T P

Sep 18, 2020

It was really interesting, I learned a lot about Japan and its ways of expressing true human feelings, I really loved it

By Ozge C

Oct 15, 2017

It was a truly enlightening and highly enjoyable course with an amazing lecturer. My gratitude to all who was involved.

By Susan S

Aug 27, 2020

The course was fascinating and well presented. I look forward to other courses by Mr. Robert Campbell. Thank you.

By Javier A P

Jul 30, 2019

I really like Japan, and I wanted to learn a little more about its culture, so this course has served me a lot.