Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM Skills Network

Do you want to know why Data Science has been labelled as the sexiest profession of the 21st century? After taking this course you will be able to answer this question, and get a thorough understanding of what is Data Science, what data scientists do, and learn about career paths in the field. The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people using data to derive insights and predict outcomes have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In today's world, we use Data Science to find patterns in data, and make meaningful, data driven conclusions and predictions. This course is for everyone, and teaches concepts like Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Neural Networks and how companies apply data science in business. You will meet several data scientists, who will share their insights and experiences in Data Science. By taking this introductory course, you will begin your journey into the thriving field that is Data Science!...

SB

Sep 9, 2019

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

AP

Jan 15, 2022

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

8826 - 8850 of 10,000 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Pratik P

May 3, 2021

Videos and reading materials are excellent. Videos explains the concepts of Data science, Data mining, type of data, who and how data are generated accumulated very beautifully. Narration by key figures is also very helpful. Only complain is with reading materials, it seems is copy of pages from book, I think document style layout will be readable and more eye friendly

By Jaimin V

Jul 27, 2020

The course was informational, and even provided access to IBM Watson, which I found to be fascinating. However, with that being said, I would have liked a little hands-on work as well, where we are asked to analyze a sample dataset and come to a conclusion with a given background and proposed hypothesis. Of course, hints and help would be available along the way.

By Jose D U

Sep 29, 2021

It was basic overview of what data science is and what attributes and skills are needed to be a data scientist. Its a good overview for the beginner and videos are well presented. However there are some typos in the readings that need to be corrected as well as an update for the instructions for using IBM Watson since Watson has been changed just a little bit.

By Josep R C

Apr 8, 2020

The course introduces to some terms such as Data Science, ML, DL... It shows to the student lots of examples where data science is currently being implemented and for what can be used. Perfect for someone who is starting in the Data field and/or wants to get to know if it is what he/she is looking for. Useless for a person who is already working on the topic.

By Charles R

Oct 17, 2022

Some of the videos and modules contained content that seemed to stray from the primary topic of the module and were distantly relevant to the subject at hand. That said, I think the course overall did a great job of providing a general description of where data science fits into modern society, where it is going, and what being a data scientist entails.

By GK M

Sep 27, 2020

The course is excellent in explaining the concepts and giving the sufficient reference to practical applications of DATA science. It also makes sure the participant has understood the key points of the course. It can make it more effective by adding more practical exercises to try different tools of Data science as it has done with IBM Watson.

By Danielle R

Nov 4, 2020

I enjoyed the course however I don't feel it was quite worth the fee considering the excellent courses I have taken for free. I missed the 7-day Free trial (my own fault and not my intention) which is unfortunate. I don't feel this "badge" will necessarily help me further my career, but you never know... I'll be back to edit this review if so!

By JORGE F M

Aug 1, 2021

The course is great. Provide us of a global and didactic view of data science. I don't give 5 stars because I think the exam is not very usefull with questions about the name of what company did a particular study, the name of the professor... There are a lot of relevants concepts tobe asked instead of names, dates... (memory questions)

By Hùng N T

Nov 25, 2018

I don't think this course fit for beginner. It mostly introduces to you application, potential machine learning, which you are likely to have learned in the internet, right? Taking this course may sap out your momentum. In fact, some of its information is helpful for ones learning or have learned the basic machine learning (algorithms).

By Bruno C S d A

May 31, 2022

It's an introdutory course, but it has interesting videos and texts. The main problem with the course, that is related by many users in forums, is the problem to activated the IBM Cloud license, that is essential to get certification. I had the problem the get the free license during the course, and had to spend some hours to solve it.

By Anastasios B

Apr 12, 2020

nice introduction but some questions were very specific to the text in question. even if I responded them correctly it doesn't mean that I learnt something useful for data science or that I will remember the answer a day after. Also I can tell that most of the content is from 2015. I t would be good to update it every couple of years.

By Kitven L

Dec 23, 2019

A very general course about data science and data scientist. I would not say I learn a whole lot but a good high-level introduction. The exercise walkthrough steps are not in line with the most recent IBM Watson screens. The exercise content needs some update, it took me some explorations to achieve what they exercise wanted me to do.

By Myles M

Sep 15, 2020

I give this short course a four-star review because if you are looking for a stand-alone class this probably won't help you out too much. However, if this is part of a course track this is an absolutely an incredible introduction that gives you an idea of how vast data science is and how you can start to scope your focus and studies.

By Agustina G

Nov 19, 2019

Excelente el curso! me gustó mucho haberlo hecho y aprendí más de lo que imaginaba. No pongo 5 estrellas porque creo que debería estar subtitulado a más idiomas. Lo pude hacer porque estudio inglés pero el idioma es una gran barrera para democratizar el conocimiento.

Salvo eso, excelente el curso, voy a seguir con el plan de carrera.

By Kelly K

Jun 26, 2019

This course helped me finally understand what data science is, as well as get a realistic understanding of what data scientists might do, what you need to become a data science and what kind of compensation data analysts receive. My only critique is that it doesn't talk about the data science career outside of the phD-level track.

By Dr. V P T

Mar 12, 2022

A good start for beginners in the field of data science. I expecially love the interviews with experts in the field. The reading. A thumbs up for the coursebook; very interesting. The peer assignment helps a lot. The final exam, however, did not test critical thinking skills as does the peer assignment. Overall, a rating of 4.5/5

By Omar A C

Solid introductory course. No technical experience required. It provides a basic understanding of the data science field and the professional skills required to work as a data scientist through a very short series of videos and readings. If the purpose of this course is to provide the answer to the titular question, it succeeds.

By Simon H

Oct 25, 2020

Gives an excellent overview of the field of Data Science and related topics - Big Data, The Cloud, Data Mining, Machine Learning etc. However, there are no substantial tasks (that's why I give it 4 rather than 5 stars). The exercises and quizzes are intended merely to check that you've understood what you've watched and read.

By Jyothika J

Mar 30, 2020

This is such an amazing course and i found it really interesting and totally different from other online courses.An introduction about the course is the most important thing instead of starting the course directly into the subject.This course really helped me find out what actually data science is and what data scientists do.

By Daniel R H

Apr 12, 2019

Very good overview of what Data Science is, definition of concepts and field of applications.

The last Reading / Assignment is worth for any professional field, as it explains the structure a Report shall have. As the author explains, this is not only a lack of knowledge in undergraduate, but also in doctoral professionals.

By Nitish R D

Dec 30, 2018

It is a good course but stretched too long. It just introduces the concepts and definition of Data Science and gives an idea of what one does being a Data Scientist. It could've been summed up a lot quicker, but there were many repetitive reiterations of the same thing. Otherwise, it's good for a basic introduction.

By Noriko Y

Oct 6, 2019

This course will set you as a introductory course for Data Science. You are not going to learn any methodologies or software here, but for someone who is considering Data Science as their career path. this course provide very good insight from current data scientists background and also some insight of their projects.

By Yolanda J

Sep 17, 2019

The course is an aide that provides greater understanding on what data science is and the people that should consider a job in the industry. It was helpful for me personally because I was uncertain that I was on the correct path in considering a data science career. I believe I'm finally starting in the right place.

By Jessica M

Jul 29, 2020

The course is a very good introduction to the subject matter. I am glad that I took the time to go through everything so that I could understand what data science exactly entails and how to go about educating myself in it. It has sparked an interest in me to continue on my journey of self education in data science.

By Mihai F

Mar 29, 2020

It was interesting to hear the opinions of the different data scientists that were interviewed for this course and finally to be introduced with the book "Getting Started with Data Science" by Mr. Murtaza Haider, Ph.D.

The other professor, from the NYU, talked too much, and unfortunately too much about himself. :)