Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

MG
Jun 26, 2020

I throughly enjoyed the course and the fact that everything was explained thoroughly. I always enjoyed Dr. White's personal experience with Data Science as well as other Data Scientists point of view.

SH
Jul 24, 2021

Thank you for this coursera.\n\nI get know experience and knowledge in using different kinds of online tools which are useful and effective. I'll use some of them during my lessons. And lots of thanks

8826 - 8850 of 9,520 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Russel C

Aug 15, 2020

The content of the course is a great introduction to Data Science. I could have done without the peer reviewed assignment at the end. If there are not many people taking the course, it takes a while to have it graded. Also, I had to take all of my quizzes over because they all disappeared. I've had a ticket into Coursera for a while, and got tired of waiting so I just took the quizzes again. Not a big deal in this case because they are short and easy. I know it is outside the scope of this course, but I hope Coursera does not have this happen on other courses. Too bad this course had to take a hit in rating because of this grading fiasco.

By James M

Aug 29, 2019

A good introductory course if you have no familiarity with "data science" as a concept or as an Industry. The course largely uses interviews with industry experts to explain what data science is, has the potential to do, and set realistic expectations about a pathway to being a data scientist.

If you have an existing familiarity with data science, or the underlying principles, this course will some to be introduction heavy.

What separates this course from 5 stars? First, several points of the videos spend time waxing prophetic on tangential topics. Second, as of this writing (29 Aug 2019) the final exam has question/answer mismatch.

By william k

May 24, 2021

This is a really good introductory course about what Data Science is, and what it entails. I honestly thought it was something totally different, so I did learn quite a bit. The videos were well done and informational, and they gave great ideas and examples.

The reason for 3 stars is that each video is between 2 and 5-ish minutes - which is fine if you're on the run. If, however, you are watching them all at once, it is a big time waster to watch the introduction on the videos over and over and over.....but I think that is the way Coursera is for all their classes.

Also, some of the questions were just a little "off".

By Leo S

Jul 30, 2020

Good as an introductory course. to help a learner identify his needs and the future career track. Pretty basic, the way it should be. However, the course holds back on math and programming skils that are an absolute necessity for a data scientist. You probably can do without either advanced math or programming, but not without both at once. The course says nothinf about it, so as not to scare the students away.

The IBM Watson service never registered my account despite various browsers and e-mail addresses used. Should I look forward to more surprises with other external resourses used in this course?

By Stamatios T

Feb 17, 2021

An "OK" introductory course but week 1 and 2 was too general in my opinion.

I also felt like the readings in week 1 and 2 had to be more scientific and less example/story oriented. I understand that it is a way to introduce someone in the field but I would suspect that somebody picking up this course means that the person is already somewhat interested in the field. Τhus, it becomes really boring and incredibly slow pretty quickly.

Week 3 was much better, since there were more definitions and ideas that were more firmly put and communicated.

By Jay Y K

Oct 27, 2021

It was overall good review course of what data science is about and provides learners basic idea of it. In that regards, it was helpful. But overall quality of final exam dissappointed me too much. I understand coming up with such questions is time consuming and sometime not fun from intructors' point of view but they should just reduce number of questions for exercises if they feel obliged to make the exam look packed even by adding significantly irrelevant and unhelpful questions for facilitating students' learning for data science.

By Reed M

Dec 20, 2020

An entire course of nothing but introduction. Gives a decent-enough overview of what data science is and why you should be enthusiastic about becoming a data scientist... but how many people who sign up for a data science course need that? Surely we don't need an entire short course that covers only that and nothing of actual data science substance.

The next course in the IBM Data Science professional certificate ("Tools for Data Science") is even worse, and convinced me to drop out of the path and look for better course sequences.

By matt

May 14, 2020

For better or worse a VERY basic introduction to data science.

Some of the reviews disparaged that there was such a basic introductory section. To me it was probably a good idea from Coursera's point of view even though I concede that I didn't really get much out of it. Some people may hear the buzz words and the salaries and dive in sight unseen so I don't begrudge it. There was a bit too much reliance on memorizing quotes from readings for the quizzes as opposed to demonstrating understanding.

By Saptashwa B

Dec 17, 2018

May be good for people who are completely beginner in data science, but I am disappointed as it is very basic and neither give outline about the complete course i.e. what will a student learn if they complete all the 9 courses. Also, I am not so sure how this course will help anybody to take any step towards the applications of data science. Curiosity and communication goes down the drain when someone don't know how to code. I think this course probably does not help on long term.

By Khumo Y M

Sep 5, 2019

The course is quite interesting and its delivered in an unconventional manner with many different people's views and experience considered making it easier to remain interested in learning more and more. However the material and guides haven't been updated making it hard to follow exercises aimed at helping you utilize data science tools. For that reason I wont be continuing with the rest of the courses in the Specialization. I'll look for something better.

By Clayton S

Jan 31, 2019

Great videos however the test questions need a good review, they are not aligned to the course content. The IBM Watson course piece looks to be outdated and the instructions are not aligned to what I saw on my screen when logging in (I found it after a search). It is very IBM software heavy - as you would expect. A good heap of videos with a great very basic introduction to it all (I would say 4 stars) but let down by errors in questions on quiz

By Jay L

Oct 13, 2020

The course was a great overview of what data science is and how it is used. I thought the quizzes, though easy, were more for the sake of having a quiz as opposed to measuring how much or what I was learning. For example, the 5 Vs of Big Data were mentioned often: Velocity, Volume, Variety, Veracity and Value. These seem extremely important to me and I took the time to learn them and about them. They were not mentioned in any of the quizzes.

By Damián L

Apr 20, 2020

Decent introduction course, but I wish it had delved into more specific tools and methods, as it's a bit too general and vague. The topics as presented could easily be covered in a short lecture, and I feel they missed out on an opportunity to give a more thorough introduction than one could find by just Googling the term. For example, I wanted to see more specific examples of tools used in data analysis, not just a general description.

By Mary G

Oct 28, 2021

I was hoping to get more content for my time spent. The quiz and test questions were often emphasizing things that didn't seem super important for my learning journey. For instance, one on the 12 final exam questions asked the name of who predicted that statistics would be the sexiest job in the next ten years or something to that effect. Really? That course was free, so no big deal, but I'm nervous about paying for the rest.

By Abdulrahman A

May 22, 2021

Basic knowledge and definition nothing too crazy, you are basically learning the what, why, and how of Data Science. I only gave it three stars because I am already familiar with most of the information provided ( I learned some new knowledge). If you are new to data science, this course would be a great starting point to understand how you'd approach this field based on your background. Again, this course is mostly verbal.

By Vimal O P

Nov 9, 2021

On overall IBM data science professional certificate track: P​ros: Content is just good enough, instructors are good. Cons: IBM watson and the platform given to practise on is awful and has terrible performance and reliability issues, most often doesnt work and had an impact on my test deliverables. I personally overcame those issues to some extent with kaggle's and google colab jupyter notebook environments.

By Lahiri B

Oct 2, 2020

The in-video review questions were repetitive across a few videos. For some videos, submitting answered returned a message "answer can not be submitted". The IBM Watson image upload assignment seems old because it looks like IBM Watson does not let me do that(despite adding my cc on the IBM platform.) So either navigation is changed in Watson and the course must be updated accordingly. But it is not.

By TW Y

Jul 4, 2020

The course provides an overview on data science. But the content of the text book is a bit problematic. The most misleading part is the author described the dictator of China, Xi Jinpin is the man who is making the world become better. This notion ignores all the human right violation happening in China. I would recommend the change the text book and the misleading reading materials.

By HE Y

Jun 7, 2020

It is just an overview about Data Science and there is not much useful information. The examples given in this course are not very concrete so that even after this course I couldn't get enough feelings about how real work is done in real life. So I would rather pursue those practical lessons about how to use analytic tools and train myself through real exercise and projects.

By Beatriz B

May 8, 2021

It is a very good course if you haven't had experience with data base. The articles doesn't have the hiperlinks to read the references. It would be very clear if the course had success cases, with detailed explanation of hte question made, hypothesis, methodology used, tools usted, document and visual presentation attaced to the project report detailed step by step

By Ankur G

Jun 13, 2020

A good course to introduce yourself to the field of Data Science and the opportunities lying ahead. I thank the professors for making this course interesting.

Just one thing though, the course deals with only the tip of the iceberg and I feel that few more insights into the field of Data Science and its applications might have made the course better.

By bruno c c

Jun 11, 2019

I felt like the explaining got way to repetitive. Why not show some real life examples and the impact of Data Science has on the world? Why not show a video of at least a glimpse of data being analysed to get us even more fired up for the course. Also, the intro section before each video was very annoying, include the intro only on the first video.

By Nicks C P

Sep 6, 2021

The material is very basic (although there are some new knowledge), my expectation I would get introduction to more advanced material. But the good parts are the content and the name matched, also from this course I become more confident with my existing knowledge about data science because the course give explanation similar with what I think.

By Robert F

Oct 29, 2020

Poor quality of reading materials presentation: why not use pdfs?

Content was very limited and easy.

A lot of the videos were repetitive and too long for the amount of content.

The IBM cloud project didn't work as I wasn't able to set up the visual recognition component in my project. No communication about how/when this would be resolved.

By Lee H

Apr 6, 2019

The end assignment is a bit weird. The definition of data science is using story telling? Surely that comes under communication, however, the rubric specifically states that we need to state story telling. I felt this module was more to introduce how to use Coursea than much else. I did really enjoy the fun Watson example.