Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

RS

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

SB
Sep 9, 2019

8876 - 8900 of 9,499 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By SARVESH Y

Jul 11, 2019

Course was good but there was not any application portion. This was just introductory course.

I only learn what is data science and what data scientist do along with some case study.

case study was good.

By Debarsi S

Jun 15, 2021

Nothing technical in this course but the assignments and quiz questions are not good. Most questions just tests whether you read the article or not and doesn't test any conceptual or creative stuff.

By Eric H

Feb 27, 2021

It's useful to help me to know how professors think about the data science. But it's very basic and it is not my excepted result that I want to learn some realistic skills to help me data analysing.

By Adrián M Z

Jun 30, 2021

Los escritos están todos en Inglés. Y cuando tenés que hacer los trabajos finales te pregunta sobre esos escritos en Inglés. Si o sí tenés que saber Inglés para hacerlo. El curso dice en Espanol.

By Adamm H

May 1, 2020

Really basic videos and not much actual learning. Seems a lot of this information could be gathered online in forums. I guess the professional advice was helpful when considering a career option.

By Shivank S

Oct 17, 2019

Showing the only expertise talks not the live tutorial how it works but overall it good if you are beginner then go for it you can better understand how can you start your career in data science

By Danny T

Feb 21, 2019

The initial course was ok but you should provide more real world examples. Such as several real "reports" and their contents. Just providing report sections and descriptions is not good enough.

By Yannick R

Nov 7, 2019

Very basic, a lot of very generic "let's talk about X" videos, reading interesting but not very in-depth. Does answer the question "What is Data Science", but left me wishing for more details.

By Sven T J

Jan 12, 2021

Course contained interesting information, but could be condensed to probably one week. There is a lot of repetition and information not directly needed, e.g., info about courses at Stern.

By Takako S

Feb 28, 2019

It is a very basic intro course that provides a general understanding of what is data science. It doesn't teach technical skills but it is a good course to learn about the whole industry.

By Francisco B L

Feb 1, 2019

It is ok, but not great. It gives you a vague idea of what it itake to be a Data scientist, but reains very anecdotical and the provided definitions are not as sharp, as I had expected.

By Frederic R

Nov 10, 2019

Videos and reading are informative. Final testing of course is rigid though. Requires students to have a verbatim definition memorized rather than an actual understanding of concepts.

By Jimmy G

Jun 20, 2019

Too non-technical. Could include more concrete project examples ("case studies") even at the beginner level, to really allow students to gain an appreciation of what the field can do.

By Ruben T

Sep 30, 2019

I didn't like the emphasis given to the money you can make by studying data science, I understand most people are just chasing the money but it was totally frivolous and unnecessary.

By Grzegorz S

Sep 10, 2019

This is not really a course -> rather some videos about what Data Science is. So if you are looking for some knowledge (for which I believe we in Coursera do) just watch it through.

By Eepsita S A

Oct 28, 2019

The course was very informative.

The time sensitive locks on the teaching material were very inconvenient and should have been relayed to the student before enrollment.

Thankyou

By Kris K

Dec 13, 2018

Several English and grammatical problems in the questions and quizzes. This made it confusing at times. Also, some of the questions to the videos need to be reviewed for errors.

By Sheen D

Jul 25, 2019

Not sure what is the purpose of this course... just to read articles about definition of data science or data scientist? Or something about the sexist job of the 21st century?

By Pavel P

Aug 25, 2019

Very good for start. On the other hand topic could be said in shorter way. But it is subjective. Therefore I can recommend with this course your journey through data science.

By S. U

Apr 16, 2020

A decent overview of the field of data science and the type of work involved. Not at all academically challenging, but a reasonably interesting, short intro to the subject.

By Sebastian D R

Apr 13, 2020

The course is very basic and is not taught in the most efficient way, it's very theoretical and does not provide very detailed examples of what data scientist really do

By Oliver H

Mar 2, 2019

Needs to be updated to match the online environments used. Quite confusing when you have to really struggle to find the right section of Watson and nearly put me off.

By Karolina V

Sep 27, 2018

Nicely done, but it could be more condensed. I would be unsatisfied I was paying just for this course, but probably good introductory for the rest. Maybe too general.

By Tyler G

Jan 27, 2020

Great to hear from professors, but not helpful to hear from random students. I discount their opinions out of hand, they are not experts, so it's just distracting

By Hugh B

Jul 5, 2020

Did not think this much background was needed. I would argue only 30% of the video material was necessary. However, it still informed me of what data science is.