Back to Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions by University of Alberta

Of all the animals on earth, which are the strongest for their size? What about the fastest? Who were the first animals to evolve flight? Insects take all of these titles and more! As the most abundant animals on the planet, insects and other arthropods affect our lives in so many ways. From beneficial interactions like pollination and biological pest control, to the transmission of life threatening diseases; this course will teach you about the big ways that these little arthropods impact our lives. In Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions, you will be plunged into the diverse (and sometimes alien) world of arthropods to learn how they work, what they do, and how insects and humans interact every day. After completing this course, you will be able to: Describe the evolutionary relationships between insects and their arthropod relatives Inventory major groups of insects and their diversity Demonstrate evolutionary adaptations that make insects successful Discuss insect biology and human-insect interactions Evaluate positive and negative interactions between insects and humans Propose practical and symbolic roles insects play in human societies...

AB
Jul 7, 2020

Very interesting and specially the anchors of this course are very enthusiastic and encouraging throughout the course so my focus is maintain for bugs and surly I will search more on insects further.

MH
Nov 19, 2020

An absolutely fantastic course with logically set-out modules and enthusiastic, inspiring and engaging presenters. Very useful for anyone involved in Science outreach and/or widening participation.

26 - 50 of 328 Reviews for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

By Tricia R L G

Sep 8, 2020

Before taking the course, even as a Black soldier fly breeder, I had a negative attitude towards most arthropods. Now that I have complete the Insect - Human Interactions course, I have a deep respect for insects, the role and impact they make on our planet. I am amazed at how close the relationship is between species in small and large ecosystems. It is overwhelming to think that changes in human behavior can help the insect species make our earth a better place to live in just by respecting them. Hopefully this course can be open to a lot of people so they develop and apply a more caring attitude towards insects for the betterment of our planet earth.

By MUHAMMAD A I

Jun 26, 2020

The credit of Bugs 101 goes to University of Alberta, Professors, Professionals and whoever worked behind the scene. Thumbs up for all of you guys. It was a great experience. I learned alot more than previously I had got. Although I'm an entomologist it really helped me in deciding a particular niche for entomological research. I was looking really some ideas of research for my master studies. The way you delivered contents was amazing. As far as my favorite Insect is concerned I love stick insects as it is always hard to capture them out. Someone needs to be extra vigilant to observe and follow such insects beacuse of their camouflage behaviour.

By Yichen Z

Sep 8, 2020

I came already somewhat appreciative of insects, but taking this course has opened my eyes further to just how crucial insects (and other arthropods) are to the global ecosystem. Course material was highly engaging - I enjoyed the videos with their bounty of insect images and well-timed questions, the interactive bits certainly helped me nail down the parts of an insect leg or mouth, the capstone served as a fun introduction to all the complex elements of managing an orchard with an eye on its insect population, and the quizzes were fair. After this, I can certainly see why entomology can be so addicting!

By Valerie M

Jul 25, 2020

LOVED this course! Extremely well presented, both the lectures & reading material! ALL instructors/presenters were excellent--their enthusiasm is so contagious, especially Ilan Domnic's! While I surprised myself with how much I remembered from prior "science" classes taken years ago, I learned a great deal--more specifically info on using insects in sustainable farming, potential use of spider webs, & insect farming for food, to name a few. Such good information I will share with others in order to educate people on the benefits of "bugs"! THANK YOU so much for providing this course during Covid-19!

By Sushma T

Sep 4, 2020

I just love this course and the content that I found here is so much précised which I think no one of the students had left doubt after having this course .If I have to say that how I buildup the interest to study on insects then my professor has done the research work on Honeybees which in my view is great work . So In future , I will definitely do some research wok on a one specific insect and i know that this course will going to help me a lot.

Thank you so much University of Alberta as well as the team of the department of entomology for offering such a great platform to enhance our knowledge

By Walter K

Nov 24, 2020

Beautifully well done. I appreciated being able to hear the lectures and then read the text, which came with those bonus "interesting facts". I found each of the lecturers engaging and with very understandable voices. The guest speakers, illustrations and photos were also key parts of the course. The diagrams were especially helpful for the physiology modules. After I discovered them, I spent a lot of time with the supplemental readings. Thank-you for curating them. I'm sorry the course is over. I enjoyed the discovery of learning and came to feel a bond with the instructors.

By Lucas D A C

Oct 28, 2020

I'm an undergraduate student in Biological Sciences at the University of Campinas, Brazil, and I have to say that's an amazing course. Even though I had some subjects of entomology, this one is extremelly complete, and was able to brought together all kinds of themes that involves insects and their relationship with the human society. Besides all that, it's good to reinforce that you don't need to be a biology student to take and enjoy this course. Congratulations to the University of Alberta and all the professionals involved in this course.

By Nicha K

Apr 28, 2020

Learning about fascinating insect life is fun. Even before taking this course, I know that insect has hug impact on our life, but in the end I am more surprised that it could be linked to nearly everything ... more than we could imagine. This course provided the reason why we should cherish the bugs and learn to live and work with them through many interesting aspects. All speakers nicely explain things in simple manner, very easy to understand even the complex topics. I enjoy this course so much and would like to recommend to others.

By Macedonio R B T

Jul 1, 2020

I found this course very entertainment and full of very qualified and talented instructors who most definitely love insects, the environment and the effects that they cause and favour our society.

Every single instructor showed passion for Entomology, which this days is hard to find, but when you find someone with that excitement it is hard to forget them.

I highly recommend this course as a refreshment and challenge for anyone, no matter your knowledge of Entomology, it is very well structure and done.

Thank you very much!

By Denise M

Bugs 101 was just what I was looking and hoping for! A great introduction to the world of insects and their humans. I really enjoyed how the information was presented with videos, reviews, interviews, text, etc.. The instructors were engaging and enthusiastic. I look forward to using what I learned during this course in my job as a butterfly atrium associate to share the joys of the world of insects! On a personal level, I can't wait to find other courses on entomology so I can keep learning!

By Natalie L

May 5, 2020

A super fun and interesting course! As a beginning gardener, I learned lots of useful information about identifying and managing pests in my garden. Learning pest control methods and chemicals has given me a great amount of control over my vegetables. You can really tell the instructors are passionate about bugs and it made me excited for each new lesson. Definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in gardening, bee keeping, crime investigation, ecology, conservation, or collecting!

By Kylie M

Aug 13, 2020

This course is amazing!

I'm an entomologist and mostly did the course for fun, but I learnt a lot. A broad range of important topics were covered, but they were covered in a good amount of detail, with plenty of additional reading available to help get a grasp on various concepts.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to the making of this online unit, it is very hard to access any entomological training in Australia, and having it here makes it accessible to so many people.

By Muhammad F

Jul 26, 2020

Amazing course that covers the whole basics of Entomology. It was quite insightful course. The most fascinating part for me was Cultural Entomology. I would like to acknowledge the presenting staff especially Ilan dominich who helped understand the course with his insightful replies in discussion forum. I would like to encourage the students of Entomology in particular and Biological Sciences in general to take this insightful course. Happy learning :)

By Andrey P S

May 2, 2020

Verdaderamente ha sido un curso fantástico. Los insectos y muchos otros artrópodos son seres increíbles a los cuales deberíamos de prestar mucha más atención de la que les hemos brindado. Mediante este curso es posible comprender el rol que estos organismos desempeñan en nuestro planeta. Como seres humanos tenemos la responsabilidad de amar y cuidar a estos organismos que al igual que nosotros únicamente buscan sobrevivir y ser mejores como especie.

By Gil H

A very comprehensive course. I studied Entomology way back. This course was much more than a refresher, introducing aspects of human-insect relationships that I had never thought about. My attitude to insects has not changed but I am now much better equipped to influence other people and bring them around to appreciate these small creatures which are so important to all life on earth especially to humans and that we must promote their conservation.

By Karis D

Jun 25, 2020

Excellent introductory entomology course. The course title is somewhat misleading, since more than half of the modules are focussed on insect biology and behaviour rather than insect-human interactions; still, the modules are thoughtfully constructed, beautifully illustrated, and clearly explained.

Highly recommend for anyone with a keen interest in learning or brushing up on insect biology, physiology, or behaviour--this is a great resource!

By Ehsan S

Jun 1, 2020

I am an entomologist and at the end of my Ph.D. I would say that this course is fantastic! Cover all the details an amateur entomologist or a curious person might need to know. The language is very easy and the scientific content is highly accurate. I do really surprise that found lot of super interesting fact to learn as an entomologist. In the end, appreciate all the people who provide this valuable and easy to read the content.

By Vic Q H

Sep 22, 2019

This was an awesome course. It was very well planned. The teachers were fantastic and I loved the interviews with the specialist in different field. I am sad that the course is now over. I would love to take more courses on insects or other arthropods with the University of Alberta. The material is amazing! Thank you so every single person who was involved in the planning and teaching of this course.

Vic Quesada Herrera

By JOHN P B

Jun 12, 2020

I have learned more about insects. When I was a child, I only knew a few - grasshoppers, dragonflies, butterflies, beetles, bees, cockroaches, mosquitoes, lice and fleas. They seem no importance to me before. Actually, I only see them as pests. But this course helps me a lot in understanding their way and impact to our lives. There is no regret of spending my lock-down time studying insects through this online course.

By Abigail E

Jun 23, 2020

An excellent course. Very detailed information covering so many different aspects of insect anatomy, behaviour, ecology, and interaction with humans and the environment. The lectures and other course materials are very interesting and well organised. The lecturers are great at explaining the information, and their passion for the subject is clear and compelling. I really enjoyed this course and have learnt a lot.

By Yohann T C B

Jul 20, 2020

After finishing the course, I can only smile with a tear in my eye as I have never appreciated insects so much before. They are very complex and that's what makes them fun to learn. Thanks to this course I have found a new love for invertebrates in general. I am even considering changing my field of specialization because of how interesting and important arthropods are. Thank You University of Alberta!

By Freya F

Jul 15, 2020

Amazing course!!! All the lecture videos, readings and other supplementary materials were easily accessible, effective and engaging. I learned quite a bit about a number of species I'd never heard of and a few applications of entomology I'd never thought of before. Each module brought more interesting facts with it about insects and everything else. Thank you, it was terrific and well worth the effort!

By Al G

Jul 18, 2020

This course was amazing! Every lecture is engaging, the supplementary reading is fun, and it's all put together very well. I learned so much! I didn't even know how much I didn't know about bugs before starting this class, so each new topic was a delightful learning experience. I would recommend this course to literally everyone. We all live with and rely on bugs, so we should learn more about them!

By Steve M

Jul 15, 2020

This was an exceptionally well presented course, one of the very best Coursera courses I have completed so far. The instructors were not only extremely knowledgeable, they were also very enthusiastic and capable presenters. The course programme was very well constructed and presented a wealth of information in a very accessible format. I learnt a lot and have rediscovered my love for entomology.

By kate m

Nov 20, 2019

I truly enjoyed this class. All of the instructors were very good & obviously quite passionate about the subject. Their lectures and the visual information were well presented and easy to understand. The individuals who were 'guest speakers' were knowledgeable and their information was always interesting. I take classes for the pleasure of learning new things and, boy, have I learned a lot!!