Back to COBOL Programming with VSCode

Learner Reviews & Feedback for COBOL Programming with VSCode by IBM

Professor Tak Auyeung of American River College, said it beautifully, “A programming language is not a fashion statement” it is used for a purpose. Whether it is to add new features, modify logic, create APIs to integrate it into other applications, or implement modern development practices, businesses around the world need application developers who know COBOL. This introductory COBOL course helps a novice learn the Structure of COBOL programs, Data types & Variable Handling, Intrinsic Functions, Branching logic and more. The goal of the course is to enable the participant to be able to write basic COBOL programs. This is a fantastic compliment to the IBM z/OS Practitioner path for the IBM Mainframe. On successful completion of this course, learners are eligible to earn their COBOL Programming with VSCode badge....

AP

Less rails next time, teach ISPF and the foreground compiler

1 - 19 of 19 Reviews for COBOL Programming with VSCode

By Dennis W K K

Jun 11, 2020

The course gives a reasonably good introduction to the COBOL programming language. But it did not actually get learners to write a complete COBOL program. Would that be asking too much?

By Negovan V

Jun 09, 2020

It would be nice to cover Labs with videos

By Detlev C M

Jun 15, 2020

I would say that this course offers a very nice simple introduction to some basic COBOL. On the negative side, we are presented with basic code and asked to identify problems, without developing our own code, neither from scratch nor full snippets of code. Especially old programming languages have their quirks that would make more practice ideal. Still, overall I would consider this course nevertheless very enjoyable and useful for a simple introduction to the topic. (I'd prefer to give it 4.5 stars, but that is not an option.)

By Brittini

Jun 09, 2020

Another great course from IBM with Jeff Bisti as the instructor. He did a fantastic job explaining the COBOL concepts and the labs were very engaging as well as informative. I look forward to more mainframe courses!

By Andrew P

Jun 18, 2020

ACCESSIBLE AND FUN INTRO TO COBOL, FIRST TIME WORKING ON A MAINFRAME

By Bryan M

Jun 30, 2020

excellent course, great content and great labs to work along too.

By Bradley T D

Jun 24, 2020

Less rails next time, teach ISPF and the foreground compiler

By Oscar C

Jun 15, 2020

It was an interesting class and I enjoyed it. Stop Run.

By Christopher M

Jun 11, 2020

Really enjoyed it. Thank You!

By James C

Jul 11, 2020

Perfect!

By YAPARALA H V

Jun 09, 2020

Good

By Bob R

Jul 30, 2020

I am distracted by errors in the course. Week 3 quiz scores 2 (two) questions incorrectly. 1) The correct answer to the upper-case('Hello World!) is marked as incorrect. 2)There is no correct solution offered to the display 100 thru 200. One of the wrong answers is scored as correct. I want a perfect score on this course. Please fix these issues. Otherwise, I liked the videos: good balance of information and humor. And you should warn uses NOT to use CHROME browser - it trashes the lab documents - readable but looks bad.

By David M

Jul 25, 2020

The content was great and Jeff Bisti was quite engaging and, at times, entertaining. The only reason I didn't give the course five stars is I wasn't able to get much help either from the stack or course discussion threads. It would be helpful to either have a bank of Q and A (quite extensive) or someone I could email to ask questions as I went along.

By John H

Aug 08, 2020

This was good once I had VS set up. That was not bad except for getting the password. The whole thing with slack was confusing and not explained well. Once I had the password things fell into place. Once I had the whole VS setup in gear I really liked it