Back to Exploring Renewable Energy Schemes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Exploring Renewable Energy Schemes by University of Pennsylvania

What do you picture when you hear the term “renewable energy?” Do you imagine fields of solar panels, giant windmills, or huge hydroelectric dams? Those are all examples of large-scale, grid-tied systems. In this course, we’ll go much smaller and focus on off-grid, stand-alone systems. We will explore the key components of photovoltaic, wind, and hydroelectric systems. We will examine photovoltaic, or PV, system components, and the scientific laws essential to understanding how renewable energy systems work. We will discuss wind energy and low-head hydroelectric systems, focusing on small-scale implementations. During our exploration of these systems, we will focus on safety and regulating bodies that guide proper system design. Throughout the course, you will be able to apply what you’re learning by conducting an energy audit to analyze power consumption, identifying essential system components of small-scale systems, building a budget for a small-scale system design, and creating a design for implementing a small-scale system....

JM
Feb 9, 2020

Great course! Information is well presented and organized. You'll end this course feeling confident on designing your own solar system, as well as gaining knowledge in other renewable energy schemes.

SR
Jul 13, 2020

Great course!!! Well presented and organized. You'll end this course feeling confident on designing your own solar system, as well as gaining knowledge in other renewable energy schemes

1 - 25 of 90 Reviews for Exploring Renewable Energy Schemes

By Carlos J H S

Mar 26, 2020

The course is too basic, there are no equations, no specific descriptions of the types of PV systems, software to calculate energy yields, nothing. More than that, there are no prepared technical slides or relevant images, is just the professor talking and talking.... and talking.

By Tofopefun O

Apr 18, 2020

This course was really interesting. It cemented my basic foundation on renewable energy; solar, wind and hydro.

By José A R M

Feb 10, 2020

By Vivek D

Jul 17, 2020

Such a wonderful course for a beginner to renewable energy systems. We all know about renewable systems to a degree, but through this course, one gets a solid understanding of the basic fundamentals and introduces new perspectives and criteria essential to running a successful system. Professor Santiago does a really good job of connecting the course material always to developing a real system. The additional readings are a great source as well.

By Sikandar H

Aug 6, 2020

its best course for beginner and specially for those who love renewable energy and its importance.

its a great opportunity for both students and field engineers who love to work on solar panels :) .

and specially thanks to great course instructor who made every thing clear.thank you coursera and thank you University of Pennsylvania

team

By Yalda S

Jun 8, 2020

The course was very well structured and the lectures were extremely complete and informative. A beginner to understanding renewable energy schemes will undoubtedly learn the basics. I appreciate the contributions of prof. Jorge Santiago-Aviles.

By FATIMAH A M

very good course i toke more information and enhance my knowledge. More thanks and love to the best cool prof who presented the course.

By hellyharris@hotmail.com

Jul 1, 2021

me ha encantado formar parte de el grupo de alumnos que hemos tenido el privilegio de dar este gran paso, el que tenga hoy la oportunidad de obtener un cerificado que acredite que soy conocedor de las herramientas necesarias para enfrentar nuevos retos se lo devemos a coursera y a su staff de profesores, en especial a nuestro master Jorge Santiago-Aviles, muchas gracias por el privilegio y este solamente es el comienzo, sequimos con coursera hasta llegar a lo mas alto.

By Nicolás A P L

Jun 28, 2021

The course is excellent, Professor Santiago-Aviles explains key topics in a simple and easy way. The teacher emphasizes the key topics and gives time to understand them. It is a highly recommended course for people interested in renewable energy. I think that the university is in a position to offer a specialization or master's degree in renewable energy for students from all over the world.

By Andrei S

Aug 10, 2020

excellent approach to the world of renewable energy. I already have some experience in the industry, butI have to say that the simple way in which things have been explained has made me understand better the operation of complex software that I use for work. now thanks to the Ing. Jorge Santiago-Aviles, University of Pennsylvania and Coursera I can design a PV system without a computer

By Soorya p S

May 6, 2021

It was really a very a great experience...The course content and its delivery excellent. I will miss the routine ...since morning eagerness to learn new things in an interesting manner.

I feel proud to be a part of this course. Would be happy to join such courses in future by the Professor Jorge Santiago-Aviles.

Thanks a lot

By Aleksandr S

Jun 28, 2020

Many thanks to University of Pennsylvania and especially to Pr.Santiago-Aviles it was a true pleasure to study this course, I gained much interesting and useful knowledge and skills. The final project concerns the matter of creation your own renewable system and surely might be useful.

By Jogesh S

Jun 6, 2021

I really liked this particular course , especially it's the future of world. Like renewable energy resources mainly in my country , government is pushing a lot of developments in the field of solar energy. thanks for providing this valuable information throughout this course.

By Felipe C

Mar 22, 2021

Certamente foi um curso que sera muito utilizado para meus projetos futuros. Particularmente a dorei como o professor conduziu aus aulas e é evidente o quanto ele tem conehcimento do assunto (o que me deixou ainda mais empolgado para conhecer outras areas)

By Faisal S

Aug 27, 2020

Course content is managed in a best possible way and gives beginners a chance to have decent knowledge of the Renewable Energy Systems and most importantly design project at the end of the course really helps in Designing of PV System on your own.

By Martín V

Nov 1, 2020

Excellent course. Great introduction to renewable energy, especially for solar cells. I recommend it for anybody getting started in renewables, trying to make a career shift into renewables, or who is simply looking to learn more!

By MANALI K

Sep 28, 2020

The first and the best course I have ever done on Coursera. I was able to gain a lot of knowledge about Renewable Energy Schemes. Prof Santiago focused on every minute aspect, definition, detail about in the course. Thank You.

By Sunil R

Jul 14, 2020

By sai p t

great course and I like the prof way of teaching so much, such a cool person. I highly recommend any one to come and "Explore" this course on Photo voltaic, Wind and Hydro Energy.

By ALBERTO J B

Jul 13, 2020

I really enjoyed the course and its organization. It gave me important information about small-scale renewable energy projects, their characteristics and requirements.

By CHEN Y

Sep 12, 2020

Thanks to Professor Jorge Santiago-Aviles, let me know the basic scientific knowledge of photovoltaic, wind, hydropower and three kinds of renewable energy.

By Wasih S

This course provided a well organized information regarding Renewable Energy Schemes and how can we design a system to provide energy at smaller level.

By YOUNSI Z

May 22, 2020

Exploring Renewable Energy Schemes, That is very helpful, I'm very glad to join in this experience with a team of Coursera, many thanks for all of you.

By Akpoviroro A

May 22, 2020

With my background as a civil engineer, this course in renewable energy has really helped me understand how to implement a power generation system

By Oyeshile O

Jun 14, 2020

I have gained a lot as regards Renewable Energy Scheme. The course was comprehensive and informative enough. Thanks for the opportunity to learn.