Back to Introduction to Game Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Game Design by California Institute of the Arts

Welcome! This course is an introduction to the primary concepts of gaming, and an exploration of how these basic concepts affect the way gamers interact with our games. In this course you will understand what defines a “game” and the mechanics and rules behind different types of games. Through four linked assignments you'll learn ways to create and describe a game concept, and specifically what makes a compelling game. This course focuses on the conceptual underpinnings of games, and all assignments can be completed with a pencil and paper – no previous programming knowledge is required....

YX

Dec 06, 2015

This course inspire me a lot. It is not easy, but with tons of fun. I spent a long time to think out the idea and make it and improve it. I did progress in gaming making as a fresh man. Thank you!

OO

Nov 07, 2015

I really enjoyed this course. It was a lot of fun designing and redesigning a game, as well as getting to play other people's games. I enjoyed the lectures and found the peer reviews very helpful.

351 - 375 of 417 Reviews for Introduction to Game Design

By Luiz F R

Nov 12, 2015

Good course!

By torea f

Jun 22, 2016

Interesting tips on some important points when designing a game

By Nina L

Mar 17, 2016

The lecture is interesting, I enjoy a lot. And the assignment makes me learn a lot.

By Stanisław P

Dec 22, 2015

Good course, I enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of hands-on work rather than just lectures, however, there could be more of the latter aswell. Quizes would be nice too.

The quality of the course is very high. Thank you for this course. :)

By Benjamin B H

Jan 05, 2016

Very good course, though it is an introduction, I feel as though I already knew most of the subjects that were explained, however I did not know the impact that those could have on a game's value and how it helps the player engage in the game. The course was simple to follow and helped me know what to focus on when starting a game.

By Костромин В В

Apr 08, 2016

Simply give more literature, and some expert opinion about some interesting jobs of week.

There is no communication at all

By Sharifah N A

Apr 07, 2016

The module is overall great and gave me an intro on how game documents are developed, plus it made me start thinking like a game designer (I hope!)

My only complaint is that the homework is fairly restrictive (only one-page game per week, which means there's only so much you can do) but I do appreciate the fact that it simplifies things and if anything, it pushes you to be even more creative, beyond the typical "board game".

By Daniel d S C

Oct 26, 2015

Very good! The idea of delivering a work per week helped me develop the discipline and the creativity.

By Edgar H

Aug 03, 2016

Excelente, es una vision general de los 3 cursos consecutivos a este. Tiene un componente divertido!

By Soumadeep D

Oct 07, 2016

gives us the corefoundation of starting a career in game design

By 肖毅晨

Dec 30, 2015

游戏设计的入门课程,对新手十分友好!

By alexandre a d l

Jan 27, 2016

good course, really an introduction =)

But the teacher is always reading a "Teleprompter".

He is not spontaneous... Except when He uses RPG to demonstrate an example ;-)

But the content is great

By Mark B

Nov 28, 2017

Course is largely informative. However, the weekly assignments are peer graded. One other student plagiarized my work and tried to pass it as his own. I reported it, but Coursea has not responded. Not sure if they care. It seems like you can get away with anything.

By Magali R

Feb 14, 2017

Very good introduction. In a light and friendly manner, we're given basics of game, I particularly remember balance, that I now keep in mind and look for in many aspects. I appreciated that no computer knowledge is needed, it's really about thinking what makes a good game. Comments from the peer reviews are helpful.

By Craig B

Mar 08, 2018

Simple to follow, good for absolute beginners. Even if you find you are already familiar with some of the content, the course helps better articulate this understanding.

By Sushobhit B

Dec 27, 2016

A very basic course to start off the game design career. Great if you want to start right from the ground stage and make your way up! Complex concepts broken down and put ever so simply! Try it out!

By Joel L

Jan 07, 2016

Simple, clean course that focuses beautifully on the core of what is being taught.

Also very enjoyable vibe to the instructor and the assignments; there's a puppet as a TA... enough said. :)

By Agnieszka J

Dec 06, 2016

I'd give it a 5 if I was only rating the material- it was very informative and easily digestible. Just what you need for a starting course.

The assignment and scoring part of the course is what brings the rating down a notch. Relying solely on feedback from people who are probably beginners in the field and who go by one sentence instruction on what to feedback on was not always constructive. More guidance needs to be added to what to look out for when scoring somebody's work.

By Amaranta G R

Jan 22, 2016

Really fun

By Viktoras B

Sep 20, 2015

The course was quite helpful. I've been trying to make games already, but never knew where to start designing the game. Unfortunately it's quite short which was disappointing. I would never pay 80$ for a couple hours of video with basics

By Gio N

Jan 07, 2016

Very good course overall. Would recommend to every game developer and game designer.

By Tadas Z

Dec 21, 2015

lectures are quite simple and short, but i really enjoyed working on homeworks! it's a great and short course to start generating game ideas!

By Alan B

Sep 19, 2016

Great simple, yet useful, course to realize of the core things about Game Design.

By Vanessa T

Jun 14, 2018

An informative & fun introduction to video game design with hands-on assignments. It could've been more in-depth and specific, but I learned a lot!

By E. C C

Nov 19, 2016

Funny introduction to game design. Not too serious, which I think is what some people need to loosen up and start with a playful mindset. (See what I did there?)