Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

What is the origin of our universe? What are dark matter and dark energy? This is the first part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Physical Sciences. Scientific research across the physical sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the physical sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. We’ll consider questions about the origin and evolution of our universe, the nature of dark energy and dark matter and the role of anthropic reasoning in the explanation of our universe. Learning Objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the natural sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Reading To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

DL

Nov 27, 2017

Many of the mathematical elements were beyond me, but the instructors presented the material in such a way that it really demonstrated the art of philosophical thinking about the field of science.

KK

Jun 07, 2018

Nice slides.Lectures are well prepared .Quizzes are relevant to the subject and thoughtfully worded so that even wrong choices also contribute to the knowledge of the study material.

1 - 25 of 86 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Physical Sciences

By Emiel d J

Nov 29, 2018

A great course introduction on the philosophy of science and cosmology. I found it to be very complex because I am somewhat unfamiliar with cosmology. But still the explanations were good and eventually I got it.

By Jennifer

Jan 09, 2019

very interesting

By Atimukta M

Dec 30, 2018

This course will let you dive into the depth of universe and see through the theories and reason for their existence till now.

By Basalat K

Jan 12, 2019

This was FIRST EVER philosophy of science experience. Never been a part of that field until now. The course was extraordinary great with plenty of knowledge. Although some information was so advance for me that it took me sometime to understand a few things. I had to go through some other sources outside of the course to understand what our professors and lecturers are presenting because I am a total layman in philosophy of sciences. Thank you so much for such an informative course. Looking forward to continue learning similar courses.

By Rupert M

Feb 18, 2019

Epic course!

By Chaiyawat M

Feb 05, 2019

By Walter O A

Mar 13, 2019

Mind enhancing at any rate!

By Ellen W

Mar 18, 2019

I loved this course! I have a particular interest in the philosophy of science (specifically epistemic beliefs), but found that I got so much out of this class with the cosmology connections. Admittedly, I do have a background in both physics and philosophy, so I was able to follow the material easily, but others may require more attention to the videos themselves. However, this is THE FIRST MOOC that I have taken the time to complete; well, done!

By ruth p

Jul 10, 2018

En mi opinión, encontraré este curso muy interesante, alto nivel académico de sus instructores. Esta introducción a la Filosofía de las Ciencias Físicas forma un enfoque completo del tema. Recomiendo estos cursos a cualquiera que ame el conocimiento. Me siento muy agradecido con los instructores de los cursos y la plataforma de Coursera.

By Johnson L

Jun 11, 2017

Definitely helpful for understanding the philosophy under the context of physical sciences for starters.

By Javier M

Jun 29, 2017

A comprehensive course for a specific subject. The videos are easy to follow and the additional readings provide even more depth to the corresponding topics. I find that the course is very interesting not only for the philosophical/scientific minded, but for most people in general.

By Clare H

Jan 13, 2018

I thought this was a great overview: well-produced, engaging, and thought-provoking.

By Francisco A M

Sep 01, 2017

A remarkable experience. Great lectures, beautiful surroundings, well chosen readings. I guess I will sign up for the second part of it.

By Kevin L S

Jun 26, 2018

New terms and definitions are always a challenge, but I really enjoyed this course and I found the course stuck with the important information; I also liked that this course was geared for those interested in Cosmology, as I am. The videos are well done and engaging.

By Rudolph L

Nov 05, 2017

Very nice!

By Felipe A Á O

Feb 12, 2018

Un curso muy útil para todos aquellos interesados en la relación entre física y filosofía. Entrega herramientas precisas para reconocer los problemas filosóficos de la cosmología.

By sude a

Feb 16, 2018

The course starts with a really simple question and ends up in a really different place. Highly recomended!

By Christopher L

Sep 22, 2018

Sometimes difficult to follow due to the amount of math, this course is eye-opening and inspiring. It's nice to know that those of us who spend more time questioning and hypothesizing than actually "proving" theories are inspiring more scientifically-minded people; and, it's exciting to know that those people have made such strides in these fields.

By Lora X

Sep 27, 2018

The physics part is somewhat challenging, but good for getting a sense of the philosophy of physical sciences.

By Gabriela C G

Sep 27, 2018

EXCELENTE CURSO!!! LOS ACADÉMICOS EXPLICAN DE MANERA MUY CLARA, CONCEPTOS QUE PODRÍAN PARECER DE MUCHA DIFICULTAD.

By Burak Ç

Oct 06, 2018

very useful for course to understand modern cosmology and its philosophical background

By Edmund B

Sep 05, 2018

High quality presentation and materials for these topics. Haven't had this much fun in a while with philosophy and science. Dark Energy and Dark Matter will continue to be topics I am interested in. Congratulations University of Edinburgh.

By Riccardo D C

May 24, 2018

A very enjoyable tour across the history of philosophy and the science, with some very exciting talks on the current state of knowledge. Whets the student's appetite to delve more in depth into the issues postulated throughout the course. Prof. Michela Massimi has mastered the topics so well that she can deliver the lectures effortlessly. This course is a must for the beginner, and highly recommended for those who know the subject but want a fresher perspective.

By Jekaterina T

Mar 30, 2017

Excellent course for a beginner or just science enthusiast!

By Nicholas R A