Back to Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to incorporate resilience interventions into your personal and professional life with Dr. Karen Reivich. In this course, you are exposed to the foundational research in resilience, including protective factors such as mental agility and optimism. Several types of resilience interventions are explored including cognitive strategies; strategies to manage anxiety and increase positive emotions such as gratitude; and a critical relationship enhancement skill. Throughout the course, you will hear examples of individuals using resilience skills in their personal and professional lives. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science, Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions and Positive Psychology: Character, Grit & Research Methods....

ZM

Sep 24, 2018

Excellent! There was some common sense here, but plenty of new data and tools anyone can use in both their personal and professional life. A must for every human who wants to get the most out of life.

NJ

Nov 03, 2018

Very useful course in building up resilience. Will take time to work on these skills but this course gives a good grounding by providing lots of helpful guidance and tips. So glad I did this course.

26 - 50 of 296 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

By William C

Mar 25, 2019

This course gave me some real, practical tools to improve resilience skills. Some of the techniques reminded my of the Fifth Discipline training I took earlier in my career. Thank you.

By Edmund W

Mar 26, 2019

Videos were well done, approachable, and a great complement to the reading material. My challenge (dealing with a family medical crisis during the middle of the course) was a test in resilience, and my ability to cope was certainly aided by some of what I learned early in the course. Thank you!

By Trista B

Mar 27, 2019

Excellent course. Many helpful and practical tips, examples, and frameworks that make a real difference in building resilience. Dr. Karen Reivich was also a wonderful lecturer/professor - highly engaging and clearly a leading expert on the subject.

By naomi y

Mar 26, 2019

Great, life-changing strategies to improve your life. Videos and examples were great. Course readings were somewhat difficult to access (that weren't the book). I will definitely work on some strategies to improve my resilience in the future!

By Ethan R

Mar 27, 2019

Great information. Practical applications.

By ALISON S

It helps me so much!

By Patricia Y

Mar 28, 2019

I truly appreciate and enjoy this course. Already I've been able to stick to a personal goal of mine that I've failed miserably at (weight loss) for over 10 years by applying the skills taught. In addition, I've gained great insights into my personal resilience strengths, opportunities, and patterns. Armed with this knowledge I'm working on breaking out of unhelpful patterns. My kids have commented that they've experienced the change. Thank you!

By Kristine A

Mar 28, 2019

This opportunity was a true gift - in more ways than one! The curriculum design was thoughtfully organized and presented from an end-user's perspective. The instructor was clear, engaging and motivating; the speakers and other related videos and exercises reinforced learning and realtime application of the concepts. The curriculum content was incredibly valuable for me personally -- and I can see the immediate application and ongoing building.

By Gary H

Mar 30, 2019

Very strong course for those desiring better inner strength, optimism, joyfulness, and better, deeper relationships in their lives.

By Ramiro P

Mar 30, 2019

Excellent course. Filled with helpful skills, tools and real-life applications. Exceed my exceptions and I look forward to applying what I earned in my everyday life.

By Sandra M M M

Mar 31, 2019

Excelente curso

By Sean W

Jan 26, 2019

Brilliant course on a great topic. Well presented and very usefull

By Natalie O

Jan 27, 2019

This was my favourite course of the specialization so far! It was so practical and the facilitator was great. There was fun in the MOOC, different activities made it more interactive. For a first MOOC, just wonderful. Thank you.

By RASULOVA R I

Jan 28, 2019

SUPER

By ruth

Feb 10, 2019

Absolutely loved the course...especially module four! Many areas of module four took me back to a course I completed through Relay. To me learning about Resilience is a passion not a job....I can’t get enough and am now on a journey to buy some of the books that were recommended throughout this Mooc! I am also going to encourage my husband to complete this course! And am also excited for our10 year old to complete the VIA! Thanks you again for a wonderful Mooc!

By Felipe F H

Jan 30, 2019

So many ways about leading with setbacks, mind traps, and character Strengths ... This knowledge is essential for education, psychology, personal and professional development, coaching, wellbeing. This courses must be in every school on planet Earth!

By Danya S

Feb 11, 2019

Love it, very practical and easy to listen to.

By Summer W

Feb 01, 2019

I really enjoyed it!

By Robin G

Apr 02, 2019

My graduate degree at Penn was in Adult Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. Over many years of practice I thought I new a great deal about resilience, cognitive distortions and methods to help thinking and behavior become healthier and more satisfying.

While there was some review, I learned so much from the content and the way this course was presented. I absolutely loved Karen's style, how she taught this material and her wonderful anecdotes. I so appreciated the range of application of resilience especially Lucy's heartbreaking loss her sweet girl and family friends. A lot to take in but such an powerful example of resilience in the most difficult of times.

I also learned so much about myself and how I think in certain circumstances. I am an optimist and gratitude is my second character strength. I plan to continue to grow these and help my students do the same. Thank you for the opportunity to take this course. It really was a gift.

Robin Ritchings Gutmann

By Dr. M A A

Apr 03, 2019

It was an excellent course! I enjoyed the videos, reading the online context, and also reading the book, The Resilience Factor. Also, I enjoyed the online discussion sessions and reading what other online students were experiencing and thinking, thus sharing and learning even more. I thought the multiple choice questions were excellent, challenging, and pointing me into the right direction as I analyzed each question and multiple choice answers. I thought it was an excellent exercise in thinking. The groups of factors involved in different sections of the course really pointed out to me some very important and basic analyses and how to resolve them in systematic order by starting with challenging my impulsive thoughts or the five thinking traps, and also the four steps to resolution, plus how to apply my character strengths. I really liked that latter aspect very much. I feel I am a much stronger person now, that I have a better understanding why we falter in not being resilient or resilient enough, and to be able to help myself and also help others around us to become more resilient. The course inspired me enough, as it probably did for many of us, if not all, to look more into myself to be a more resilient person, and to better affect others around me in being so; and to review periodically, so that I am at top notch! All in all, I feel that I am now a more complete and valuable person, my self-esteem has been raised because I can be more understanding and in better control of situations arising, and, as a result of all of this, I can be a better and more giving person.

By Angelo I

Apr 06, 2019

Great course. Deepened my understanding of resilience and positive psychology and provided practical tips that I can use with coaching clients. Karen was very personable (as were her colleagues). I feel like I know her well as a result.

By Sharon B

Apr 04, 2019

Great content, great instructor - clear, interesting to listen to, good pace. Appreciate the information and the chance to participate!!

By Melody J

Apr 06, 2019

I really enjoyed the class, the skills taught, the book. Karen was a great instructor, open, honest and vulnerable which really contributed to my understanding and learning.

By Sean R

Apr 06, 2019

This was a wonderful class. Simply fascinating. I will definitely continue to use the teachings in my daily life.

By Tiara D

Apr 05, 2019

I have participated in a few live resilience classes. This has been the most relevant class, and by far, the best. I appreciate hearing the evidence based rationale through the videos and the self reflection exercises did not feel forced. I wish you the best as you evolve the program.