Back to Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the learner to information visualization basics, with a focus on reporting and charting using the matplotlib library. The course will start with a design and information literacy perspective, touching on what makes a good and bad visualization, and what statistical measures translate into in terms of visualizations. The second week will focus on the technology used to make visualizations in python, matplotlib, and introduce users to best practices when creating basic charts and how to realize design decisions in the framework. The third week will be a tutorial of functionality available in matplotlib, and demonstrate a variety of basic statistical charts helping learners to identify when a particular method is good for a particular problem. The course will end with a discussion of other forms of structuring and visualizing data. This course should be taken after Introduction to Data Science in Python and before the remainder of the Applied Data Science with Python courses: Applied Machine Learning in Python, Applied Text Mining in Python, and Applied Social Network Analysis in Python....

OK

Jun 27, 2020

its actually a good course as it starts from fundamentals of visualization to the data visualization,the assignments this course provide are exciting and full of knowledge that you learn in course ..

RM

May 14, 2020

I am going for the specialization and I know this is just the second course in it and I haven't even seen the further courses yet, but this is already my most favourite course in the specialization.

626 - 650 of 874 Reviews for Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python

By Dillon M

Jun 03, 2020

Provided enough structure and worked examples to give a meaningful introduction to the topic, but left the assignments open-ended enough that they were interesting and challenging. I ended up spending a lot of time on the various assignments, but actually found the whole process quite rewarding.

By Victor A D S

Apr 09, 2020

This course is okay. I think it tries to cover to much ground in to few lectures, particularly when it comes to more advance features and functions of matplotlib like animations and interactivty. It devotes a whole week to theoretical discussion of graphic design which is okay but not great.

By Sergio P d R

Apr 26, 2020

Good course overall. Like previous one, you can do as much as you want. How much you learn is completely dependant on you. It is not difficult to pass it, but if you want to get the best out of it during the assignments, you will have to spend some time in stackoverflow and matplotlib help.

By Dr. R H

Sep 23, 2020

For the last assignment, it would have been great if we could have chosen the topic of our work ourselves (e.g. sports/politics/...). I had to work on a task regarding religion, which is for me an extremely boring subject; this led me to delay the finalization of the assignment by weeks.

By Christos G

Sep 01, 2017

Great exploration and navigation through the not so straightforward matplotlib for Python. The lecture would have been perfect if there were not so many references to a local library, which helped with the concepts but left the student with nothing to reuse in the future.

By Katya H

Apr 05, 2017

good lectures and theory. I miss automatic code evaluation and more numpy data transformations. I suck at these and I was hoping this course would have more of the same kind of tasks as the first + plotting.

Overall, good class as a starter point for plotting in pandas.

By Juan M

Sep 18, 2018

The course and material is great. The videos are not too long, but they provide the necessary guidance. I do think that the peer-reviewed grading could be improved. Feedback is minimal, and I do not think anyone really gets feedback on the quality of their code.

By Juan C E

May 21, 2017

Several different API's are touched (matplotlib matlab-style and object oriented interfaces, seaborn, pandas, and it's easy to get lost. Some additional reference material would be helpful: cheat sheets, course slides with a bit more detail of the API's touched.

By Noah K

Feb 01, 2018

Great course to learn matplotlib and some other plotting tools! I do believe that that gap between the lecture videos and the assignments was huge though, but I guess self-study and exploring the internet is part of learning this type of stuff. Great course!

By Jared P

Mar 22, 2017

This a pretty good introduction to plotting libraries in python. I would have preferred a deeper dive into some of the built-in methods. A little more on visualizations from libraries like seaborn, bokeh, or plotly would have been nice. Overall, great work.

By Tonderayi K

Nov 30, 2017

It was an applied one where I learnt how to handle real world data. Also the parts of what makes a good visualization were principles that really helped me. This course will always help me in my data analysis future - I will always refer to it.

By Alexander P

Aug 31, 2019

Useful overview of data visualization design principles, matplotlib, and seaborn. But for me also required a lot of self-learning from Stack Overflow in order to make attractive charts. The assignments were useful and practical overall.

By Luke G

Mar 03, 2018

This course is pretty good. There's a lot of general guidance and the topics covered are very broad. Expect to spend some time reading documentation, but overall you'll get a really good coverage of a lot of different things.

By Michael H

Feb 11, 2018

The course was very informative and provided good exposure to plotting tools in Python. However, I don't feel that the peer-reviewed assignments were very effective as nearly anything submitted would receive a passing grade.

By KylinMountain

Apr 27, 2018

About pandas plot and seaborn, it is very short and it looks like ends suddenly. Besides, the design of practice is not very good as well as first class 'Introduction to Data Science in Python'. It need improvement.

By Alan J

Apr 02, 2017

Excellent course to begin matplotlib. It shows us the intricacies of the matplotlib by showing the basics and prodding us to go deeper by reading the documentation. The assignments are also really good. Recommended!

By Shou-Chung W

Aug 14, 2018

This course gives me an overview of data visualization, and I felt pretty accomplished with that goal. Data science is a broad subject, this course is a good place to start. It is an intermediate level course.

By Arvind S

Oct 25, 2020

It is a nice course ,if you are looking to start your journey in data visualization then this course may interest you a lot, although this course covers basic as well as some advance lessons in visualization.

By Manuela D

Feb 11, 2018

The very last 2 weeks were quite interesting and full con concepts, whereas weeks 1 and 2 were more theorical. I would suggest to summarize initial theorical concepts and give more practical coding examples.

By Mohamed A H

Oct 26, 2018

The instructor is very professional. The course has really high-quality academical information that come very valuable and handy when you get to create charts and visualize the data. Definitely recommended!

By Steve M

Mar 03, 2018

An very good overview of how to develop honest, functional and aesthetically pleasing data visualizations. With additional instruction in how to use matplotlib and Seaborn, it would be a five-star course!

By ayush k

Jul 05, 2018

Practical course with hands on exercise to make you well versed in Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python. I recommend at least every college student should experience this course

By Ivan R

Mar 01, 2018

It contains very good recommended lectures, good material and explanation about matplotlib to grasp a big picture. However, you must invest a lot of time on your own to research deeper in the topic

By Vishal S

Mar 20, 2018

Week 1 is a little bit theory and boring for me because that doesn't interest me but week 2 and week 4 is amazing. Especially week 4 assignment is too good. Overall the course is worth learning.

By Brandy B

Aug 18, 2017

I thought this was a really good introduction to matplotlib and some of the things you can do with it. The final project we got to apply what we'd learned to real data, which was a lot of fun.