Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

MR

Really interesting course. The interactive coding sessions with swirl are especially useful. Would be great, if you provided sample solutions for the programming assignments, in particular for week 4.

JM
Aug 11, 2019

Very challenging, but good course. I've been programming in R for over a year, but there were still some things for me to pick up in this class. Assignments were a challenge, but satisfying to tackle.

101 - 125 of 4,475 Reviews for R Programming

By Glauco d O G F

Aug 19, 2020

Swirl is an amazing learning tool and it was the best of the course. However, unfortunately the course videos and supporting material does not help too much in order to complete the Programming Assignments, specially the videos. There is a huge distance from what has been teached or maybe how it has been teached to what was asked to do during assignments. Nothing against to a good task, but would be fair to provide a proper knoledge (e. g. including examples at same level of the assignments, maybe something step-by-step) so we could complete them without spending so many hours looking for other sources which provide what maybe some of us were expecting to find right here.

The course was somehow frustrating and disapointing on this matter and I don't feel confortable in recommending it.

By Juergen K

Not very well organized overall. The assignments were fun, but I had to do extensive research online to find out how to answer the questions being asked, which made me wonder why I had sat through the videos. Sometimes I didn't even use what I learned in the videos to complete that week's assignments. The videos are far too theoretical, they probably would have been useful for someone familiar with R or S, but for a new user they required a lot of rewinding and without practical examples it was hard to actually remember what was being taught. In the rare instance practical examples were given the material stuck much better!

By Gabriela Á L

Nov 7, 2020

The assignments are not gradual, I mean the content of the classes is not enough for the completion of the assignments. I think I would have appreciated more content in the classes, more explained exercises so that the making of the assignments wouldn't have been so miserable! It's a very hard course.

But I've learned a lot on my own, thanks!

By Diego V

Aug 24, 2020

Huge disconnect between the canned lectures (almost all not by Peng) and the exercises. Moreover, other than generating random number distributions, there are no examples of the lecture material worth anything. Given the subjects covered, the course could be great

By Javier C

Jan 29, 2021

The contents of the lectures are quite hard to follow, and exercises do not have much relationship with them. Difficult to follow the course, even with other programming languages skills.

By Biel G P

Jan 8, 2021

The assignments are too difficult compared with the knowlegde taught in the videos and swirl

By Guillermo M C

Jul 8, 2021

Assignments too difficult, compared to the amount of explanation and swirl exercises...

By Li C W

Oct 31, 2020

I am extremely disappointed with the quality of this course. I am a professional analyst and have some years of programming, I intended to "formalize" my knowledge in R and data science by taking this course. This course is organized in a very poor manner, lectures and assignments are completely disconnected, the instruction in the assignment is also extremely poor, it is very hard to understand what the learner is expected to do, it is very frustrating and I cannot imagine this course is intended for "beginner". I managed to finish that just because it is sponsored by my company. 0 out of 5 stars

By Ravi L

Jun 13, 2021

This is really frustrating as the assignment seems like completely out of course. Given that we are paying for the course, it becomes challenging to complete it on time. I am paying the fees second time as I was not able to complete the course on time.

Advise you to bring down the course charges or charge once only. If you guys really take reviews seriously then please read all the review and you will find the same issue of gap between huge gap between assignment and lectures.

By Sarah O

Jul 22, 2021

Course is very poorly laid out. Programming assignments and quizzes have completely new, much more advanced material compared to what was taught in the lecture. I have some R background from taking other courses and wanted to further my education but this course really turned me off from learning the language. I was expecting the course to be challenging in a manageable way, but I feel let down by how prohibitively difficult and incongruous the programming assignments are.

By Tom W

Aug 30, 2020

The worse Coursera course I've ever taken. The videos feel like someone reading the technical documentation to you, the "interactive" tutorials are like an 1980s text-only game, and the assignments require massive leaps in ability over what you learned in the lessons. I would call this course "Advanced-level assignments sure to both bore and frustrate people new to R"

By Madhubalini V

Oct 3, 2020

the instructor is like this is ABCD.., and the assignment is like write a report on a topic. the course is too hard for a beginner, then the instructions are confusing.

By Amie L

Jul 27, 2021

If I'm going to pay for a class, I'd like to actually learn something. This class was a complete waste of my time. I learned how to use swirl and that's it.

By Gregor W

Jul 10, 2021

l​ectures are not in line with learning objectives

l​ectures are too short / missing real life examples

c​ourse needs a refresh

By wang z

Nov 19, 2017

实在是大大低于我的期望,教学内容和作业完全脱节,使得学生花费了大量时间自己没有头绪的学习,课程本省较为枯燥乏味,缺少实际操作性的演示,大部分是概念性和理解性的知识点,实际操作价值不大。

By So W Y

Jun 14, 2021

poorly designed

By Ramalakshmanan S P

Feb 23, 2016

Thanks to Coursera and Prof. Roger D. Peng for offering such a wonderful course on R Programming.

Before the start of this session, my knowledge of R Programming is NIL. After attending the session, I'm confident that I could program in R and level of my knowledge is more than that of fresher. Thanks for the well designed course on R.

The Quizzes and Assignments are good and helped me test my understanding. These helped me improve my confidence level as well. I appreciate Professors special video session before difficult assignment. Just following these sessions closely, I could complete the assignment to my satisfaction and have confidence to attempt and complete.

I completed this course in the old format. Do I need to repeat it in the new format ?

The Discussion Forums are amazingly helpful in sharing subject knowledge and making the learning Fun. Getting help from some corner of the world and getting thanks from some other corner of the world makes this learning truly Universal and great Fun.

Thanks again to Coursera and Prof. Roger D. Peng.

Wishing Coursera and my Professors all the best and Success always.

Best Wishes,

S. Ramalakshmanan

By 张万八Colin

1.The assignment is sophisticated but worth it. I agree with most people that the coding assignments are difficult and I usually spend at least one hour on each function. However, I think this is what makes the course worth it. The videos and swirl sessions are so basic that it only serves as a basic introduction and is barely useful for actual data processing and analysis. The assignments will force you to think about the steps need for building a function to serve your specific purposes.

2. Subsetting is the key and needs to be reviewed over and over again. Personally, I find subsetting in R powerful and a little bit confusing at the beginning. It is really the key to any manipulation of the data sets. Practive makes perfect. I think I will still spend time on reviewing them after the course.

By Emre Y

Mar 25, 2020

This is an outstanding course. As an undergraduate student in the final year of my degree program, where not a lot of programming was covered, this course has really boosted my confidence in using R studio and has genuinely made me believe that I can programme anything I put my mind to. This course has also shown me that with a bit of practice each day, significant progress can be made to a level beyond what one may have imagined. This course has also enhanced my critical thinking skills, as programming needs careful logical thinking. At times, it can be so frustrating when a code is near functional but not quite working the way one intends, and so by persevering and sticking at it you will get there! I am now feeling ready to delve into the scientific world feeling that anything is achievable.

By Alexander W

Mar 3, 2021

Challenging course that forces you to show what you got at the intermediate level in mathematics, statistics and computer science. Even that the SWIRL exercises were optional, it provided the underlying knowledge while the assignments (especially assignment 2 and 4) force you to organize your R-functions to solve the problems. The videos with Prof. Peng at JHU to install R studio, download and configurate the computer software were the easiest part meanwhile reading .CSV-files into R and writing the R-functions were the challenging part. Recommending the course to students who have studied computer science for a while and are bored on lectures with the regular stuff about IF-statements, looping and WHILE-statements. Regards from Sweden

By Oka M

Nov 25, 2020

I underestimate the lecture and it hit me back right in the face! The lesson is really good, and the assignment is really challenging. Not only we need to learn about R programming, but also some familiarity with git and github as version control method. The mentor respond is swift, additional lecture note from github is also really helpful. But it seems that sometime it will be really helpful if Coursera can facilitate to handle limited live session during lesson period so students can ask and get direct respond from lecturer, and might save hours of searching and experimenting if we can get a good directions at the time in need. Overall, excited to continue learning, thanks Coursera and ITB :D

By Edmund J L O

May 11, 2016

This is course was pretty hard for someone like me without any background in computer programming. I had to take it twice to pass it. Luckily, there are many wonderful people in Coursera and in R who are always willing to lend a hand. Even if you pass all the basic requirements of the course i encourage you to do an exploration on your own. There are so many things to learn to make your job easy and to give inspiration to improve your performance in whatever field your in. It might feel like you're not learning at times or it's too difficult to continue, but once you get there, you'll realize how this wonderful new tool can help you with data analysis and presentation.

By Zoey

Apr 30, 2018

If there's one thing about this course that beats all the other regular ways to learn basic R (e.g. datacamp, swirl, reading a textbook, udemy, etc.) it is the MCQ exercises and peer-graded assignments. I can't begin to describe how satisfying it is to have to figure out on your own just 5 cleverly written MCQs for hours and then have the answer in the console finally match one of the choices.

Yes, there are other ways of learning R, but I find this one just sticks in my mind and gamifies the whole learning process. This could just be the strength of Coursera's system, I don't know, I haven't done enough courses to tell. But tell you what, I love this course.

By Wei D

Aug 11, 2019

Great class. Lecture was very to the point. I was a bit hesitant on taking this class given my limited programming experience and other reviewer's comments that the homework was significantly harder than the homework. Now that i have completed the class, I mind that as long as I listened to the lectures and did the practice questions, I had no issues completing the homework assignments (granted, occasional google & stackoverflow consult was needed just like any other programming class). I find the course material easy to understand and perfect for a data newb or someone who wants an introduction to data science and processing. Highly recommend this class.

By Tomohiko J M

Nov 29, 2016

This was a challenging course. I have some experience in stats, but no experience with programming so I spent an extraordinary amount of time fumbling through the assignments. However, the effort was worth it. I am far from fluent in R, but I do feel like I know how to talk in R, pose questions about code, and begin to build functions with my knowledge. Have plenty more to learn, but fumbling through this course has definitely given me a good foundation. Tips for anyone thinking of taking the course: read the discussion forums, learn to look for answers online, and be patient if you're unfamiliar with programming languages.