Back to Transgender Medicine for General Medical Providers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transgender Medicine for General Medical Providers by Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

The course is a comprehensive set of didactic lectures surveying fundamentals of transgender medical and surgical treatment. The material is meant to provide the student with core knowledge that is essential for current primary care providers caring for transgender patients. There are 10 modules led by the expert clinical faculty from the pioneering Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery, located within the Mount Sinai Health System and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. The course begins with an introduction to frame the sea change that has taken place in the current medical practice of transgender health care. Subsequent modules allow individuals to learn key elements necessary to provide quality transgender medical care. As a whole, the modules provide an opportunity to develop a knowledgeable approach to behavioral health, primary care, hormone therapy, and the surgical options. Module 1: Introduction - Joshua D Safer Module 2: Making the Determination - Hansel Arroyo Module 3: Primary Care for Transgender Women - Zil Goldstein Module 4: Primary Care for Transgender Men - Zil Goldstein Module 5: What are the Essential Strategies to Transgender Hormone Therapy? - Joshua D Safer Module 6: Initiation and Maintenance of Hormones for the Trans Masculine Patient - Joshua D Safer Module 7: Initiation and Maintenance of Hormones for the Trans Feminine Patient -Joshua D Safer Module 8: Transgender Surgery: Chest & Face - Bella K Avanessian Module 9: Transmasculine Genital Surgery - Bella K Avanessian Module 10: Transfeminine Genital Surgery - Bella K Avanessian...

RR
Aug 11, 2020

It was an amazing course throughout and a special appreciation to the meticulous surgery modules which manged to cover the entirety of the procedures and still managed to be short and crisp.

FY
Aug 15, 2020

That was amazing! Many thanks from bottom of my heart:)) I have learnt the basic of transformations and ı found it very useful to mutual understanding of trans people.

1 - 25 of 42 Reviews for Transgender Medicine for General Medical Providers

By Anamaria S

Apr 15, 2020

Even though this class is listed as intermediary, it is quite basic, I expected more detail and harder quizzes. I do really like the MD and NP instructors. Also, no activity in the forums whatsoever, seems I was the only person in this class.

By Giovanna B

Mar 20, 2020

Evidence-based, thorough introduction to health care for transgender patients. My only critique here is that content is repeated a few times, and that I wish there was more, in-depth content to go through, because what I saw in the course so far is excellent!

By Dr. S B

Apr 9, 2020

Great course to understand the medical and surgical management of Transgender population. Strongly recommended for anyone who takes care of such patients

By Stacie P

Jan 5, 2020

Very good course for a broad overview of transgender healthcare and can help get you started on hormone therapy education.

By Bentawich S

Dec 30, 2019

such an excellent course for Family doctor and primary care providers

By Alicia R

Aug 3, 2019

excellent

By Kinusan D S

May 7, 2019

Good course, a step further may include actual footage of various operations with medical context, and patient interviews pertaining to surgeries, healing, and satisfaction.

By Sharon S B

Mar 12, 2020

the course was helpful to me as a primary care physician

However, there were at least 2 glaring errors in the presentations. Because of these errors, I am forced to worry that there were additional mistakes that I didnt catch and that I have been misinformed about some aspect of transgender care. There were also a number of typos in the text versions of the oral presentations. The 2 errors which I spotted were: 1) in the psychiatry presentation, it was stated that the "rate of suicide" among transgender people is 40%, and that this is 8X the rate in the general population. This is a gross overstatement of the suicide rate in the general population, and presumably apparently also an overstatement of the transgender rate; I assume the lecturer meant suicide attempts. 2) regarding the possibility of pregnancy in transgender men, the lecturer, Zil Goldstein, suggested that the use of testosterone is not detrimental to the fetus (this may have been implied, rather than stated outright, but it was certainly misleading). In fact, testosterone definitely has an effect on the fetus, and this should have been discussed.

By Mariana L

Oct 17, 2020

Good overview of the implications of the surgical techniques to be able to initially discuss them with interested patients. Excellent source of initial information about what is available to the patient interested in transitioning. Good overview of hormone therapy. Would have liked an option to ask questions about topics mentioned but not fully discussed in the videos and a deeper discussion of tools and strategies available to support patients dealing with social rejection causing mental health distress.

By Samuel M P

Jan 1, 2021

As a medical student from Guatemala, I can say that I would probably never receive any assessment about Transgender Medical Care anywhere in my country, so this is a very valuable course that all medical providers should go through, because transgender people exist, even in a oppressive, conservative and transphobic country like mine, and everyone deserves to feel safe, specially while seeking for medical assistance. Thank you.

By Laurie F

Jan 14, 2021

Excellent course that gave a good overview when beginning to work with Transgender patients and how to assist them along their journey. As a nurse and nurse practitioner it was easy to understand and gave me a great deal of information I was missing regarding care and research around this population.

By Gustavo F A d A

Jul 17, 2020

This is a must-do course for every medical practitioner or medical student! Unfortunately, we still don't learn a lot about transgender care on medical school, and this is a great opportunity to understand it and enhance the quality of our assistance! Strongly recommended!

By Esdras P d S

Jul 11, 2020

EU AMEI! Faço medicina em uma universidade pública do Brasil, mas esse tema sobre pessoas trans nunca foi abordado. Esse curso me caiu como uma luva, pois quero ser um médico com um olhar mais holístico sobre os meus pacientes. Eu só tenho a agradecer! Muito obrigado!

By Martha P C

Jan 26, 2021

Excellent Course. Very comprehensive. Thanks for clarifying me many doubts I had regarding care for trans patients. I think as physicias we should all be informed about at least about the general concepts of transgender medicine, regardless of our area of practice.

By Alicia C

Oct 18, 2020

All the medical terms and the explication are easy to Understanding. I love the short but very complete videos. Awesome classes, I hope you can make more Courses with university credits. Greetings Fromm Panamá

By Ramakalam.A

Aug 12, 2020

By Karen E C C

Dec 12, 2020

One of the best courses I've taken, the instructors were really respectful and always made sure that the information was very clear. A wonderful introduction to the topic.

By Filiz Y

Aug 16, 2020

By Amadeo R

Jan 14, 2021

Amazing Primer for Primary Care Providers to understand the basic care of Transgender population who deserves better, sensitive, compassionate care

By julie d

Oct 25, 2020

Thank you! This was very basic, but still very helpful to me to make sure I was up to date on transgender care after practicing it for 30 years!

By Hussein J

Apr 5, 2020

The course was very extensive and covered all the aspects of treating a transgender patient. I highly recommend it for all physicians.

By Georgio S

Feb 19, 2021

this course really deepened my understanding of transgender medicine and exposed me to new concepts I didn't even know existed.

By Gulzhaina N

May 2, 2020

Very informative course, the concepts are explained very clearly and presentations are straight-forward.

By Javiera P

Jun 27, 2020

Excelente curso, incluye temas que como médico general no son vistos en la malla tradicional.

By Victoria C

Feb 25, 2021

Information was presented in a clear, concise, and very patient-oriented manner. Thank you.