Back to Transgender Medicine for General Medical Providers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transgender Medicine for General Medical Providers by Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

The course is a comprehensive set of didactic lectures surveying fundamentals of transgender medical and surgical treatment. The material is meant to provide the student with core knowledge that is essential for current primary care providers caring for transgender patients. There are 10 modules led by the expert clinical faculty from the pioneering Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery, located within the Mount Sinai Health System and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. The course begins with an introduction to frame the sea change that has taken place in the current medical practice of transgender health care. Subsequent modules allow individuals to learn key elements necessary to provide quality transgender medical care. As a whole, the modules provide an opportunity to develop a knowledgeable approach to behavioral health, primary care, hormone therapy, and the surgical options. Module 1: Introduction - Joshua D Safer Module 2: Making the Determination - Hansel Arroyo Module 3: Primary Care for Transgender Women - Zil Goldstein Module 4: Primary Care for Transgender Men - Zil Goldstein Module 5: What are the Essential Strategies to Transgender Hormone Therapy? - Joshua D Safer Module 6: Initiation and Maintenance of Hormones for the Trans Masculine Patient - Joshua D Safer Module 7: Initiation and Maintenance of Hormones for the Trans Feminine Patient -Joshua D Safer Module 8: Transgender Surgery: Chest & Face - Bella K Avanessian Module 9: Transmasculine Genital Surgery - Bella K Avanessian Module 10: Transfeminine Genital Surgery - Bella K Avanessian...

RR
Aug 11, 2020

It was an amazing course throughout and a special appreciation to the meticulous surgery modules which manged to cover the entirety of the procedures and still managed to be short and crisp.

FY
Aug 15, 2020

That was amazing! Many thanks from bottom of my heart:)) I have learnt the basic of transformations and ı found it very useful to mutual understanding of trans people.

1 - 25 of 52 Reviews for Transgender Medicine for General Medical Providers

By Sharon S B

Mar 12, 2020

the course was helpful to me as a primary care physician

However, there were at least 2 glaring errors in the presentations. Because of these errors, I am forced to worry that there were additional mistakes that I didnt catch and that I have been misinformed about some aspect of transgender care. There were also a number of typos in the text versions of the oral presentations. The 2 errors which I spotted were: 1) in the psychiatry presentation, it was stated that the "rate of suicide" among transgender people is 40%, and that this is 8X the rate in the general population. This is a gross overstatement of the suicide rate in the general population, and presumably apparently also an overstatement of the transgender rate; I assume the lecturer meant suicide attempts. 2) regarding the possibility of pregnancy in transgender men, the lecturer, Zil Goldstein, suggested that the use of testosterone is not detrimental to the fetus (this may have been implied, rather than stated outright, but it was certainly misleading). In fact, testosterone definitely has an effect on the fetus, and this should have been discussed.

By Dr. S B

Apr 9, 2020

Great course to understand the medical and surgical management of Transgender population. Strongly recommended for anyone who takes care of such patients

By Bentawich S

Dec 30, 2019

such an excellent course for Family doctor and primary care providers

By Kinusan D S

May 7, 2019

Good course, a step further may include actual footage of various operations with medical context, and patient interviews pertaining to surgeries, healing, and satisfaction.

By Anamaria S

Apr 15, 2020

Even though this class is listed as intermediary, it is quite basic, I expected more detail and harder quizzes. I do really like the MD and NP instructors. Also, no activity in the forums whatsoever, seems I was the only person in this class.

By Giovanna B

Mar 20, 2020

Evidence-based, thorough introduction to health care for transgender patients. My only critique here is that content is repeated a few times, and that I wish there was more, in-depth content to go through, because what I saw in the course so far is excellent!

By Stacie P

Jan 5, 2020

Very good course for a broad overview of transgender healthcare and can help get you started on hormone therapy education.

By Pilar M H L

Apr 15, 2021

Excelente,explicade forma muy clara todos los aspectos relacionados a las necesidades de los pacientes transgenero

By Alicia R

Aug 3, 2019

excellent

By Aedrian A

Jun 20, 2021

I completed this well-made concise overview with a better understanding of the unique primary care needs of the transgender community. Important pearls for directed history-taking & physical examination, options for hormonal treatment & monitoring and providing primary care-level informed guidance should they pursue surgical means for gender identity affirmation, among others, are appropriately emphasized in this offering. I highly recommend this course for medical students, general practitioners and even medical specialists to allow them to be sensitive providers of care.

By Mariana L

Oct 17, 2020

Good overview of the implications of the surgical techniques to be able to initially discuss them with interested patients. Excellent source of initial information about what is available to the patient interested in transitioning. Good overview of hormone therapy. Would have liked an option to ask questions about topics mentioned but not fully discussed in the videos and a deeper discussion of tools and strategies available to support patients dealing with social rejection causing mental health distress.

By Samuel M P

Jan 1, 2021

As a medical student from Guatemala, I can say that I would probably never receive any assessment about Transgender Medical Care anywhere in my country, so this is a very valuable course that all medical providers should go through, because transgender people exist, even in a oppressive, conservative and transphobic country like mine, and everyone deserves to feel safe, specially while seeking for medical assistance. Thank you.

By Laurie F

Jan 14, 2021

Excellent course that gave a good overview when beginning to work with Transgender patients and how to assist them along their journey. As a nurse and nurse practitioner it was easy to understand and gave me a great deal of information I was missing regarding care and research around this population.

By Gustavo F A d A

Jul 17, 2020

This is a must-do course for every medical practitioner or medical student! Unfortunately, we still don't learn a lot about transgender care on medical school, and this is a great opportunity to understand it and enhance the quality of our assistance! Strongly recommended!

By Esdras P d S

Jul 11, 2020

EU AMEI! Faço medicina em uma universidade pública do Brasil, mas esse tema sobre pessoas trans nunca foi abordado. Esse curso me caiu como uma luva, pois quero ser um médico com um olhar mais holístico sobre os meus pacientes. Eu só tenho a agradecer! Muito obrigado!

By Bárbara I R R

Apr 12, 2021

Excellent course! This should be an mandatory course in medical schools everywhere. It really helped me to learn about the treatment of transgender men and women. I know it will be very useful when I get the opportunity to meet a transgender patient and help them <3

By Martha P C

Jan 26, 2021

Excellent Course. Very comprehensive. Thanks for clarifying me many doubts I had regarding care for trans patients. I think as physicias we should all be informed about at least about the general concepts of transgender medicine, regardless of our area of practice.

By Alicia C

Oct 18, 2020

All the medical terms and the explication are easy to Understanding. I love the short but very complete videos. Awesome classes, I hope you can make more Courses with university credits. Greetings Fromm Panamá

By Ramakalam.A

Aug 12, 2020

By Victoria A R I

Apr 4, 2021

Excellent course. It is easy to follow and has all the content relevant for general providers in the transgender people general care. It takes topics that I never see in my medicine school.

By Karen E C C

Dec 12, 2020

One of the best courses I've taken, the instructors were really respectful and always made sure that the information was very clear. A wonderful introduction to the topic.

By Filiz Y

Aug 16, 2020

By Jackie L

Apr 1, 2021

I learned so much from this program. I did watch it three times in order to absorb everything that was presented, especially the hormone treatment section.

By Amadeo R

Jan 14, 2021

Amazing Primer for Primary Care Providers to understand the basic care of Transgender population who deserves better, sensitive, compassionate care

By Erika B

Jun 6, 2021

Good introduction course with lots of great medical terminology in an easily digestible format. You don't have to be a doctor to pass this course.