Back to Urban Nature: Connecting Cities, Nature and Innovation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Urban Nature: Connecting Cities, Nature and Innovation by Lund University

How can nature help us design and build our cities? Nature-based solutions have the potential to provide multiple benefits across a range of sustainability challenges facing cities. They can help to limit the impacts of climate change, enhance biodiversity and improve environmental quality while contributing to economic activities and social well-being. But what are nature-based solutions? Examples include green roofs and city parks that reduce heat, city lagoons that can store water as well as vegetation and rain gardens to intercept storm water. This course will explore nature-based solutions in cities in Europe and around the world. It will connect together the key themes of nature, cities and innovation. We will discuss how to assess what nature-based solutions can achieve in cities. We will examine how innovation is taking place in cities. And we will analyse the potential of nature-based solutions to help respond to climate change and sustainability challenges. This course combines both technical knowledge and the social sciences to better understand nature-based solutions in a holistic perspective. New governance arrangements, business models and financing, forms of citizen engagement and innovation pathways will be needed to make the promise of nature-based solutions a reality. In this course, we bring together a collection of diverse films and key short readings on nature-based solutions as well as interactive forums and practical assignments to create an online learning community for nature-based solution in an urban world....

AR
Mar 3, 2020

Excellent course I have learned alot about the importance of nature and how nature can be used as a solution for solving urban problems. Great experencie can't wait for the next course.

SE
Feb 17, 2020

Excellent preparation and presentation of course materials, enthusiastic lecturers, good selection of case study and broad perspective on the subject-keep up the good work!

1 - 25 of 101 Reviews for Urban Nature: Connecting Cities, Nature and Innovation

By Kithmini W

Jan 27, 2020

This course is a mandatory subject to the construction industry and i recommended to complete this for the undergraduate students and after higher study students.This will lead to us to planning ,designing and monitoring process sustainable with the nature for a better future.i'm sure i will support for my city to develop such kind of knowledge which i get from this course.Thank you all of lectures ,videos and the notes.

By Chronis R

Jun 12, 2021

I have really enjoyed the course and although some people have mentioned (in their reviews) that it could have been in more depth, I found it informative enough (even for someone like me that has a MSc in environmental studies). And if someone has the time to read all the extra material, in my opinion the course is more than in depth. I have learned a lot of new things, especially in aspects that I wasnt that familiar, like basics of planning and managing a project (environmental or not). In addition, and at the moment I think its one of few courses of its kind (using green infrastructures in an urban environment for sustainability, tackling climate change and several other benefits). I hope to see more courses of this kind, and even whole degrees around urban greening, urban horticulture/agriculture etc.

By Rashi G K

Apr 8, 2020

I loved this course and enjoyed learning about the new concept of nature based solutions. The videos were engaging. I hope more such courses are designed and it would be amazing to have one which interfaces NBS with a particular sector, such as transportation. How can we practically apply it to our projects? Would be very useful to learn about. I would also recommend a twitter hashtag which would have helped built a longer lasting community of those interested in this area. As of now I would tweet marking Kes McCormick, Harriett Bulkeley, NATURVATION etc. Some other MOOCs I have been part of have had specific hashtags which have really helped build longer term engagement and sustainability around the area.

By Charmae P W

Jun 4, 2021

A very rich learning journey and very straightforward, clear and concise course structure. I've learned so much especially in terms of innovation pathways in NBS. The case examples videos are also very helpful and the podcast series is a great way to break the screen time and just listen to the insights of various practitioners and experts who have implemented NBS in their cities. Overall, a very rewarding learning experience for this course. Kudos Lund University and Naturvation!

By Sergio E M H

Mar 10, 2020

It is a very wide course in knowledge, very practical to acquire knowledge, with readings and very didactic videos and with a wide range of topics very useful for my professional development.

By Albert R

Mar 4, 2020

By Sabrina E

Feb 18, 2020

By 郭逸飞

Jan 21, 2020

Thanks so much for your good presentation. Hope to see you in future!

By Nicole M

Jan 30, 2020

Lund's sustainability courses never dissapoint!

By Simon C

Sep 12, 2020

I enjoyed the course, even though it's sympathies to neo-liberal pathways of development seemed to undermine its own objectives. These issues cannot be removed from a wider social consciousness regarding society, history and politics. Economics has always been the parasite that destroys environments and the disadvantaged people of the world, through colonialism, capitalism, war, and interventionist 'development' projects. Nonetheless, I got a useful insight into the implementation of NBS and some of the challenges faced when trying to bring them into reality.

By Md. N N

Oct 11, 2020

Such a wonderful course! Nature based solution can increase resilience and address climate change in cities. The course is not about how to design them in particular but has so much ammunition that you can completely internalize NBS. Policy and mainstreaming is the focus. But you would be hooked on reading and understanding policy. 14 institutes of Europe with EU contribute to this. The videos, readings and quizzes are great. It is a must for urban planners, architects, municipal staffs and citizens alike. highly enjoyable learning experience and really broaden the knowledge. and finally one secret of mine...nearly trying almost 4 to 5 years, enrolling almost 50 moocs in coursera, THIS IS MY FIRST SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED MOOC. Thanks to this course for enabling me to break the wall. Hopefully, finishing more moocs on cities soon.

By Milan W

May 4, 2020

Thank you for creating such an interactive and interesting course. I am walking through my city with a lot more attention to the little urban nature we already have and also see where there would be massive potential to further integrate more NBS. The course also gave me great basic knowledge on NBSs, the different integration concepts and also where problems arise. I hope this topic will grow in importance and that the government will take proactive approaches now. In the city of Hamburg, the Senat is looking for NBS rather than grey infrastructure to protect the city from the rising sea level and the increasing storm surge events.

By Lizzy O

Jun 11, 2020

Very accessible, informational, enlighting and inspirational course! It was with great pleasure that I educated myself each week on the different topics of Nature Based Solutions. I feel I have a deeper understanding of the different underlying actors and necessities as well as the possibilities for implementation, collaboration and business models needed for NBS. To connect with the greater picture of NBS already implemented, being in the process of implementation or being planned by many cities all over the world was really inspirational and uplifting. Thank you!

By Alison N

Oct 18, 2020

Stimulating, well organised and a clear structure for a beginner like me. A good balance between theory and case studies. I particularly enjoyed doing the written piece and discovered a community garden in the centre of my town that I did not know existed.

One practical comment, it took me a lot longer to do the weekly readings than the 10 minutes indicated.

I would recommend this course to anyone interested in sustainability and local initiatives. I shall look for further courses to continue with and I would love to go and visit Malmo once we can travel again.

By Maria A G A

Feb 19, 2021

The course helps to understand how nature-based solutions are essential resources for cities to face the challenges related to the climate crisis, in addition to making them better places to live. It helps to think about the responsibility of ordinary people and the importance of their participation in a changing context. It inspired many reflections and helped me to think about the problems in my city and how nature can be a great ally to solve them. Ready for citizen action.

By sayamon s

May 23, 2021

Thank you very much for hard working. To launch the excellent and effective course like this , it needs to prepare a ton of resource. Case studies and intervention are the most interested part for a beginner as me. However, podcast session seems to be completed because it is heard to follow and do imagination if you are not native speaker and do not a local people in particular area.. Again, thank you so much / Sayamon, Thailand

By Dominique H

I loved this course! It's so great to learn about ways we can help mitigate climate change by embracing nature, and I'm glad to know so many knowledgeable people have been researching and developing this subject to teach us. The instructors were informative, the material was well-developed and easily understood, and I got to learn about new universities carrying out this research.

By Nicola P

Feb 8, 2020

I really liked the course content being mostly videos and case studies - so many inspiring real tangible examples. The wording in the quiz's was at times confusing, but you get additional attempts to pass so that's fine. The draft assignment was due end Week 2 and final by week 4 so that was a surprise, but well worth doing the assignment for the learnings.

By Jessie A

Dec 10, 2020

Fun and informative, I'd recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about how to increase/improve nature based solutions in urban environments. The videos and case studies did a good job explaining problems, opportunities and possible solutions. The Urban Atlas, Citizen handbook and other guides can easily be used to keep the learning going.

By dag s

Feb 6, 2020

A lot of good educational stuff. But it felt to short and little when I got engaged in the subject. Now I have to find a new course - learn more. i bit tuff with language. Make sure that we can wiew all the projects, ,there are much to learn from each other. A minor set back is the failing map. A good change with videos, made the subject more vivid.

Dag

By Tautvydas B

Oct 2, 2020

It was a great learning experience, where I had the opportunity to deepen my knowledge in nature-based solutions, urban development and management, sustainable development and other related fields. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in urban planning, urban design, landscape architecture, architecture or geography.

By Daniela N B

Mar 23, 2021

The course offered a really good overview of all most important aspects worth considering in the context of introducing and mainstreaming NBS systemically, involving all relevant sectors and stakeholders. It was a great pleasure going through this very well-put-together course and I have learned a lot. Thank you!

By Pirovich N M

Aug 17, 2020

Thank everyone who has been involved to bring me into the nature-based solutions' journey in cities around the world! It was an awesome experience to me!! Great staff, good videos, clear and detailed information. I think this course is also better than "Greening the Economy: Sustainable Cities".

By Manuel A G

Feb 10, 2020

I want to say firstly : Tanks and Congratulations S this excelent course. The focus in NBS, its general knowledge and the practical aplications and the organization with all the material for lecture and videos , was of 5 points. Thanks and again: CONGRATULATION. www.indepes .org