Back to Managing an Agile Team

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing an Agile Team by University of Virginia

While agile has become the de facto standard for managing digital innovation teams, many wonder if they’re doing it ‘right’. Twitter is full of jokes about how teams say they do agile but don’t ‘really’ do it. The reality is that getting the most out of agile is less about observing specific procedures and more about how a team focuses and measures their progress. Rather than just boring you with an accounting of agile methodologies, this course focuses on helping you better charter your team’s focus, definition of success, and practice of agile. While learning about agile mainstays like Scrum, XP, and kanban, you’ll also learn to help your team ask the right questions about how they’re working and facilitate good answers on how agile can help. As a Project Management Institute (PMI®) Registered Education Provider, the University of Virginia Darden School of Business has been approved by PMI to issue 20 professional development units (PDUs) for this course, which focuses on core competencies recognized by PMI. (Provider #2122) This course is supported by the Batten Institute at UVA’s Darden School of Business. The Batten Institute’s mission is to improve the world through entrepreneurship and innovation: www.batteninstitute.org....

FB

Nov 13, 2018

I have learned new things about agile practices and it worth the time to take the course. Sometimes I had the impression that some subject are vague, but overall the course rised to the expectations

EG

Dec 12, 2019

This course was Excellent. The Instructor is very engaging and kept my attention through all of the 4 weeks of class. The Assignment was extremely helpful in applying the learning to a project.

1 - 25 of 168 Reviews for Managing an Agile Team

By Ico R R

Jun 18, 2016

I gave the first course a very bad review and the second course an ok review. Now I am very impressed about how they are constantly working to improve all aspects of the course.

For example: Now you can download the assignments on word (before you had to copy item by item from a pdf) and the test are not so ambiguous as they used to be. I remember, in the past, to continuously have the feeling that questions in test were too open to interpretation and that the right answer will be defined by some random detail, now they are definitely more straight forward.

I also happened to have to log-in in the Online University where I got my Master's Degree years ago and saw their interface is still the same 0 user friendly and a very bad feeling of impossible communication so it really helped me appreciate the effort in improving the course. I really appreciate how they are willing to apply agile methodology to the course and with each iteration they make it better!

By Krunal S P

Feb 25, 2019

First of all, I would like to thank Coursera and Alex for such a wonderful course on "Managing an Agile Team".

I am working as an Engineering Manager in a semiconductor industry for the last five years without any formal training on Agile approach. I thank myself for going through this helpful material. This course has tools, techniques and a approach to appreciate and manage an Agile team.

It is the amalgamation of right tools, right assignment with peer reviews and right views/recommendations from the industry veterans who are practicing Agile principles, right at your study table.

Go for it. Worth it!

By Wahyu Q P R

Apr 18, 2019

Granted, it is difficult to teach a course that really begs for practical learning through a medium that is severely limited for that purpose. It is not practical to ask students to create groups and "role play" an AGILE team through a sprint phase, for example, given that students' enrolment periods might be different. But this is exactly what was lacking in the course, because in my humble opinion, managing an AGILE team cannot be learned through reading and writing.

By Ulpiano I

Oct 07, 2019

The information is very useful however the format of videos is too long and boring some times, I appreciate the effort to make dynamic however I think you polish the content a little bit more. Thanks for the course.

By Lauren R

Oct 04, 2017

Courses 1 and 3 are so similar, they could easily be combined to be only one course. I would recommend adding either an additional week

By Konstantin K

Aug 28, 2018

Instructor is beating about a bush all the course.

The lectures are verbose and don't contain much substance

By Michael F

Jun 06, 2019

seemed more vague than other courses.

By Arun V

Jan 16, 2020

I was quite excite and enthused to enroll in this course as Agile is the 'in-thing' in IT industry. After going through the course content it appeared that the concept has been stretched rather tortuously. The instructor , with his long and never-ending sentences , was soporific in his style and unnecessarily verbose. The only interesting part were the interviews. The last part - Peer graded assignment is worded do convoluted , it took days to understand what is required. A thoroughly disappointing course.

By Pradnya P B

Oct 10, 2019

The Assignments are vague and broad, how can we be asked to take any project and design Trello board for it, alteast the instructor can provide a sample project and guide with high level requirements for the project.

Also the content has been unnecessarily elongated with interviews of industry experts , the course size could easily be cut down by half, by removing atleast some of the expert interviews

By Miriam J

Aug 03, 2020

The Managing an Agile Team taught lessons were key to aligning essential Agile principles, and practices to non-software development business processes at my workplace. Applying Agile principles to achieve a highly functional team in the construction industry, seemed far fetched but these Agile practices have proved to produce very effective results over the years in building highly functional teams, robust to change, hence my desire to give it a try. This course has created the clarity I needed to apply Agile principles and practices to company processes, especially in a non-software development field, to achieve efficiency and save cost at work. It has also built up a series of ideas needed to approach a non-Agile friendly environment that suffers from very low alignment with some sort of autonomy.

By Amit K M

Aug 12, 2019

Very well structured and Alex gives some very practical advice. Obviously Agile is something that you can learn through practice but it is a very good starter pack. A few case studies and best practices helped me to compare scenarios that I am facing with the ones that I studied here and choose the options that i wodl want to explore with the team. Also it helped me in understanding the predicament that each stakeholder faces, while execution of a project in an Agile way and how to may be help people understand the objective and benefits of adopting Agile.

By Magnus S

Jul 27, 2020

The Interviews that Alex has with the field Agile Practitioners and Project Managers, provides an in-depth perspective on how to apply these practices.

The Agile is like the Social Psychology of Project Management, and I believe that any PMP in this day and age needs to at least, understand the practice of Agile and Lean.

Waste is something that doesn't discriminate between industries, as should Agile's application not just be limited to Tech and development and can find an application anywhere, where there is a compelling Narrative.

By Jaime S

Jun 26, 2018

This course was a great overview and foundation of key principles and concepts in agile practices among teams. This course would benefit anyone that is managing agile projects or teams. Even if you understand agile principles, I would still recommend this course to gain a good understanding of the methodologies and practices that are popular today. I like the Coursera content that incorporates interviews with influencers in the industry.

By Benoit d L

Mar 26, 2017

Great course with a very good mix of theory, practice and real-world practitioners.

I believe this course will be especially helpful for teams transitioning to agile and for "classical" project managers. The age of "command and control" has passed and Agile is a great iteration on top of this management style. Great teacher, great content and great course!

By Erez M

Apr 30, 2018

It might sound strange, but there are only a few good courses that really deal with agile development. This course is definitly one of them. I have enjoyed the format of this course and the journey it took me through. The live interviews with experts from the industry are a great bonus to the learning. Thank you Alex!.

By Joachim R

Dec 31, 2019

The course was very insightful to me. I recommend it for anyone working in an Agile team especially as a leader like Scrum Master.

When downloading the course Matl. provide the course-section name as default for the file name. Same for Video as for Transcript.

Transcirpt as PDF not just unformatted text.

By CHANDRA P K

Aug 12, 2018

This course is one of the best and most essential in Agile specialization as it gives detailed overview of the managing teams of product or project development. Especially those small talks with Agile veterans are such a great help for people like me to analyze where agile fits best.

By Andreu M N

Jul 14, 2018

I totally recommend this course. Well prepared, interesting interviews done by Alex to several professional with well-known reputation, good explanations, and well-prepared exercises. It’s totally worth to invest your time and money if you want to start in Agile.

By SHABEER V C

Apr 02, 2019

Great course and the lectures were really good. Thanks Alex Cowan for giving a clear idea on how to Manage Agile team. Now on I will try to improve my skills on LDBM (Learning, deciding, Building, Managing) for building a self-motivated Agile team.

By George B

Nov 01, 2019

I found this course very useful for understanding how to manage a team when using agile and what different peoples roles and challenges are, which has been very useful in my current role working with a number of different Agile teams and LPO's

By Robert F

Apr 16, 2020

Very good overview. I like the real life conversations as a break from the lectures. Giving us a bit more picture of what is happening with the pros and little skits that you can kind of see what questions might come up withi

By Anna Y

Nov 19, 2018

Very informative course with a lot of practical cases. This course is not just about theory, it's all about practicing, practicing and practicing! Very intensive and very exciting course! Thanks a lot to lecturer and authors.

By Gabriel T

Sep 22, 2017

Very well structured. I really enjoyed this part as it ties in a lot of things over this entire duration of learning agile. i would encourage others to take this course and learn some great industry insight from Alex.

By Ludovic M

Jul 17, 2016

Awesome course, excellent balance between theoretical & methodos + testimonial from professionals. Maybe a little bit more real-life example of successful products developed with the agile method would have been great

By Marie d K

May 08, 2020

Great course which helps a lot to put agile in perspective in different company/industry contexts. I feel I gained great insights on how to deal with upper management expectations for example. Highly recommended.