Back to Visual Elements of User Interface Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Visual Elements of User Interface Design by California Institute of the Arts

This design-centric course examines the broad question of what an interface is and what role a designer plays in creating a user interface. Learning how to design and articulate meaning using color, type, and imagery is essential to making interfaces function clearly and seamlessly. Through a series of lectures and visual exercises, you will focus on the many individual elements and components that make up the skillset of an interface designer. By the end of this course, you will be able to describe the key formal elements of clear, consistent, and intuitive UI design, and apply your learned skills to the design of a static screen-based interface. This is the first course in the UI/UX Design Specialization, which brings a design-centric approach to user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design, and offers practical, skill-based instruction centered around a visual communications perspective, rather than on one focused on marketing or programming alone. These courses are ideal for anyone with some experience in graphic or visual design and who would like to build their skill set in UI or UX for app and web design. It would also be ideal for anyone with experience in front- or back-end web development or human-computer interaction and want to sharpen their visual design and analysis skills for UI or UX....

BB
Mar 31, 2020

This course is very useful for a beginner who is looking for the basics of UI/UX course.\n\nThis course will give you the basic idea of interface design which very important for its advanced studies.

RS
Feb 8, 2021

I never thought this is possible. I am very grateful to Coursera and Calarts. This is a starting milestone to changing my career life for better. I am ready to pursue more and more with your support.

26 - 50 of 995 Reviews for Visual Elements of User Interface Design

By Tianyi L

Jan 18, 2020

A good experience of learning UI. I got to create something of my own and got inspired by others' good work. As a designer who is already familiar with design applications and principles, it only took me one day to watch all the tutorials and 1.5 days to complete the assignments. After the course, I have something presentable I can include in my portfolio and have gained confidence in this field! Thank you for this great opportunity.

By Natasha B

Dec 28, 2019

I took so many pages of notes! There is a WEALTH of information packed into this course and I am going to make it into a simple outline to use when designing. I think it will be helpful for me in the future as a reference guide in order to do my best work until I get comfortable in the process. Very knowledgeable, fun project, and other students were respectful. Turn in your work early!

By John R N

Nov 21, 2018

By Samuel R

May 13, 2020

Great course, I have a degree in graphic design and have taken UX courses before. This was a good refresher on UI principles and I'm looking forward to the next course in this specialization.

By Bruno R d N

Feb 12, 2020

Escreverei em português, que é minha língua materna, especialmente para brasileiros e portugueses. Esse curso é realmente um ótimo curso introdutório. Eu não sabia bem como funcionava este sistema de educação à distância, mas posso dizer que realmente não perde em nada para cursos presenciais. É bastante prático e orientado para a prática profissional. Vale a pena!

By Rizwan s

Feb 8, 2021

By Kateřina H

Mar 25, 2020

It was my first UI/UX experience and it was amazing. I had so much fun and learnt so many things. I wish it could be longer. I'm kind of missing uni times :P Thank you so much for it!

By Ariadne R B

Oct 3, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. I love the way Michael Worthington explains everything and I love the fact that we have more videos than reading, to me it's easier to understand.

By Julija S

Jul 4, 2020

PRO: I love the interface of the course and fact that the course members get tasks - they have a huge learning impact.

CONTRA: Some course members have very poor design skills. It's not fun to review assignments with pixelated and stretched icons and buttons retrieved from foreign online sources, while others put more effort into their work and have way higher design skills. Unfair peer ratings create a watering down performance and the illusion of similar skills, while this is not the case. A compliance of quality standards would be good.

By AR

Jun 8, 2020

The Course is pretty good. Very basic info is covered. There is currently a major issue with "peer grading" system. People are grade bombing submission which requires multiple re submissions ...this issue needs resolved.

By Kelly M

May 15, 2019

Great introduction to UI design without complicating elements with UX.

By Utkarsh R

It is a good course for those who are starting their career in graphics design ( UI & UX ).

I found this course good, but it is elementary. I thought that it would be much better if the instructor taught us some topics in much more detail or in-depth like in color part if we taught which color is best suited for which thing, In adding shadow what is the value of the blur should be added and of which color, etc.

Anyway, it is a good course for beginners.

By Michael M

Jan 10, 2020

The teachers were not very charismatic, and spoke in a monotone the entire time as they read their lectures off a teleprompter. The peer-reviewed assignments also took days, and in some cases, weeks, before being reviewed. Otherwise, this course was decent, but if you already know basic UI design, then this course is probably too easy for you. You would be better off reading the Google Material Design guidelines or the Apple design guidelines.

By Saad K

Dec 5, 2018

The only thing I wish this course had more of was the practical side of UI/UX design. Where they show you how and what goes behind making designs, instead of only taking over theory. The theory seemed like something you would already know but I feel like they should have given more incentive to learning about key graphic design and UI/UX concepts that could be used practically.

By Pierre-Olivier S

Aug 10, 2020

The content is good, not great. Some classes on Udemy have content that's just as good, while being presented in a much more attractive package. Think about it : This course on UI is entirely made up of slides in ARIAL. Yes, Arial. This says a lot about how little care was put into the slides themselves.

The reviewing process, as opposed to Udemy's one where the teacher actually takes a look at your submission, is broken and extremely unfair. And in the end, this class is not worth the money. No one from the school will ever look at your work. Only peers. So why are we paying 44 € a month, already ? At this price, Coursera should hire someone who rates students' work. That would only be fair. It takes ages to get feedback. So why are you pressured into submitting your work on time if, then, you don't get feedback for days, sometimes weeks ?

Overall, I'm sourly disappointed, coming from Udemy. Not only is the Coursera's interface clunkier (which is ironic when following a UX course) but the content of the classes seems to be an afterthought.

By Miroslav G

Apr 14, 2020

I think the course is good for beginners. For me it wasn't challenging enough (I did the whole Graphic Design Specialisation and worked for many years as a designer) and still I had to resubmit all of my assignments multiple times just because my peers have graded me poorly and way too subjectively. If you are letting unqualified beginners grading, then at least make them more then two per assignment. Having only two peers grading an assignment is not objective at all. There should be at least three!

By Chyelle M

Dec 9, 2020

I dont think it was very thorough. Don't we have to do wireframes prior to mock-ups?

By Faelan M

Jun 14, 2020

The instruction is good but cover things more like an overview. The idea of using peers to grade assignments is awful. There are no constructive comments by the reviewer I had, I have no idea what my work is really worth. The submissions I was given to review were exact copies of the course examples. Not really worth my time and effort if I am interested in pursuing this as a profession.

By Julianne C

Terrible program for learning. You really need to already know how to use ALL the programs and ALL the skills because other students will rate your work well below average. I worked o projects for days and other students expect A+ work to even give a pass. For example one said the TYPE on my button was not legible yet is was regular font at 18pt. I am not sure they are even real people.

By ronit a

Apr 27, 2020

IT doesn't fit me because i don't have graphic software

I've cancelled my participation and somehow it appears like I'm still registered

please let me cancel it

By Ria S

Jun 10, 2020

clearing this took ages. something about the peer reviews :|

By Milton M

Oct 26, 2019

Visual elements of the user interface design course helped me to become more comfortable with the idea of doing Ui/Ux design. I have always been doing design for printing media but now I am even considering learning more about digital design with Coursera and why not doing a master's degree in Ux design abroad. The course is complete and well structured, everything was explained in detail and the experience of learning online was friendly and easy to understand. I think that the peer grading part can be improved somehow but overall the content in terms of amount and quality of information is excellent, I am looking forward to doing the next three courses to enhance my skills as a designer.

By Marion L

Jan 6, 2020

The instructor is very precise on the words and the process articulation and manages to make them very clear through well chosen illustrative examples. I appreciate that all examples comes from very few projects, it is as if we see the different aspects and steps of the method being applied.

The teacher's enunciation makes it easy to understand even for non-English speakers. The assignments are well explained and the review is well guided so that you mostly get useful peer reviews.

It is nice to apply the concepts on a fun project, it makes them sink in and motivate you to work on the course. I'd like to develop my app project for real!

By Marshall R

Aug 24, 2020

To the instructors--thank you for offering a great introduction to User Interface Design. I really appreciated the insights shared in various videos over the 4-week course. One of the most valuable insights I gained was the simple distinction that a desktop screen might often offer, say, 4 sections on one screen, where a mobile device must break that same information up into 1 section (each) on 4 screens. This is just one of the many useful bits of knowledge that, combined with real-world mockup practice, helped me gain footing in UI design.

By Genia J

Mar 15, 2021

The material provided by instructors is amazing. Well structured, well explained. I learned a lot - not only what to do, but how and why.

The only weakness I see is the peer reviews - it is very random what you get. Some people are more serious and spend time to rate carefully and provide useful feedback. Some are just clicking through and give points rather accidentally - you can miss some points even when the task is correctly solved, because of slappy review. I miss an option to ask for new review in such cases.