No prior experience required.
Academic Skills for University Success Specialization
Build Learning Skills to Excel at University. Learn to solve problems, think critically, and communicate effectively in your university courses.
About this Specialization
No prior experience required.
The University of Sydney
Our excellence in research and teaching makes the University of Sydney one of the top universities in Australia and highly ranked among the best universities in the world. In 2020, we were ranked second in the Times Higher Education (THE) University Impact Rankings, and first in Australia in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the refund policy?
If you subscribed, you get a 7-day free trial during which you can cancel at no penalty. After that, we don’t give refunds, but you can cancel your subscription at any time. See our full refund policy.
Can I just enroll in a single course?
Yes! To get started, click the course card that interests you and enroll. You can enroll and complete the course to earn a shareable certificate, or you can audit it to view the course materials for free. When you subscribe to a course that is part of a Specialization, you’re automatically subscribed to the full Specialization. Visit your learner dashboard to track your progress.
Is financial aid available?
Yes, Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You'll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved. You'll need to complete this step for each course in the Specialization, including the Capstone Project. Learn more.
Can I take the course for free?
When you enroll in the course, you get access to all of the courses in the Specialization, and you earn a certificate when you complete the work. If you only want to read and view the course content, you can audit the course for free. If you cannot afford the fee, you can apply for financial aid.
Is this course really 100% online? Do I need to attend any classes in person?
This course is completely online, so there’s no need to show up to a classroom in person. You can access your lectures, readings and assignments anytime and anywhere via the web or your mobile device.
How long does it take to complete the Specialization?
This Specialization is made up of five course. Each course is designed to take 6 weeks to complete.
What background knowledge is necessary?
No prior experience is required, however, it would be helpful to you if you have a basic awareness of academic conventions.
Do I need to take the courses in a specific order?
The course is designed to be taken in any order, however, we recommend you follow the order given here.
Will I earn university credit for completing the Specialization?
You will not earn university credit for completing the Specialization.
What will I be able to do upon completing the Specialization?
After taking this specialization, you will be able to:
1) Use multimodal forms of communication (written, spoken, visual) in English to a high level of proficiency across a variety of situations and for different academic purposes.
2) Use technology to research, collect, evaluate, select, process and communicate information in order to use it for study purposes.
3) Use critical thinking and problem solving skills to make reasoned judgements, present credible arguments, identify gaps in knowledge, evaluate beliefs and clearly articulate results of inquiry.
4) Develop, implement, and communicate innovative and creative ideas effectively and in forms that have impact on real-world contexts.
5) Present a portfolio of work produced throughout the specialization to showcase and demonstrate their academic skills.
6) Demonstrate an understanding of academic conventions and academic integrity.
More questions? Visit the Learner Help Center.