Back to Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms by Stanford University

The primary topics in this part of the specialization are: asymptotic ("Big-oh") notation, sorting and searching, divide and conquer (master method, integer and matrix multiplication, closest pair), and randomized algorithms (QuickSort, contraction algorithm for min cuts)....

KS
Sep 13, 2018

Well researched. Topics covered well, with walkthrough for exam.le cases for each new introduced algorithm. Great experience, learned a lot of important algorithms and algorithmic thinking practices.

DT

Thank you for teaching me this course. I learned a lot of new things, including Divide-and-Conquer, MergeSort, QuickSort, and Randomization Algorithms, along with proof for their asymptotic runtime

176 - 200 of 808 Reviews for Divide and Conquer, Sorting and Searching, and Randomized Algorithms

By Yann F

Dec 30, 2019

Very well designed, structured and delivered. I enjoyed the videos and learned a lot from the lectures, quizzes, forum and programming assignments. Great course.

By João R W S

May 25, 2017

Very good. Not an easy course but I think that's the idea haha. Tim is a great teacher and the content is very well organized to be didactic. I've learned a lot!

By Kandarp K V

May 14, 2020

It is really a very good course if you want to gain deep insight about algorithms. Definitely was slightly above my rank but that's how we learn and think more.

By Александр М

Oct 22, 2017

This course can be really useful not only for junior engineers or students but also for middle engineers. It was fun and challenging. Thank you for this course.

By Ashish K

Mar 15, 2018

A very good course for having the notion of algorithms, identify problems which can be solved by divide and conquer approach and analyse their time complexity.

By Yasar A A

Mar 29, 2020

At first, I found difficulty in catching the content..... it would bounce upon my head rather understanding... overall it was worth of hard work. Good Content

By LIU C

Mar 26, 2020

The instructor is simply super cool in teaching. He managed to explain things with all the necessary details in the most concise language. highly recommended.

By Sukhdev S

Jul 31, 2017

The course was intense at times, specially the Randomized Contraction Algorithm. Conceptually, it was fine, but the implementations took some serious effort.

By Rishi G V

Nov 29, 2019

It is Really an amazing Course, mind blowing, very informative, It gives me the complete understanding merge sort and quick with best mathematical analysis.

By Matt L

Jul 19, 2018

Well-taught, I love Tim Roughgarden's lecture style. Though he doesn't pull punches when it comes to the math, it's very straightforward and easy to follow.

By John C

Jan 12, 2020

I loved it. It's challenging. Definitely requires some thought outside of what he videos cover for some of the quiz questions, but still totally doable.

By Parshwanath D

Jul 29, 2018

I'm not a Computer Science student and yet I found these lectures easy to follow. The programming exercises were a good mental exercise. Wonderful course!

By Abhishek V

Jan 3, 2017

Very good review of divide and conquer algorithms, however, I only recommend for those who are willing to put in the hard work as I found it challenging.

By Peshotan I

Aug 7, 2018

Very good course. Teaches the basics of algorithms very well. Lectures are great but I mostly studied from textbook (you can find it on amazon for $10).

By Mayur P

Jun 3, 2020

Can we do better?

Search for best optimised way using Divide and Conquer..

Thanks to Tim (instructor) for creating such a great interactive program.

By andrew

Jun 18, 2019

Very well done and presented material! In depth and gives you a deeper understanding of the material (if you pay close attention in lectures that is)!

By Minsub L

Apr 6, 2019

Very good lecture to improve algorithm skills and basics for those who had not ever take class of algorithms. Thank you for your teaching, professor.

By Rebecca D

Mar 30, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I learned a great deal, and particularly enjoyed the programming assignments. Looking forward to starting course 2.

By John W

Jul 7, 2017

Really enjoyed watching the lectures and Prof Roughgarden's explanations. He did a good job diving just deep enough into the math without losing me.

By Liam Y

Jul 30, 2017

The course is challenging but rewarding. If you take diligent notes and make sure you rewatch videos as needed it yields a great deal of knowledge.

By Rush G

Jan 6, 2021

Remember that the course is based and more focused on the analysis part rather than the actual implementation of the algorithm part. Tim is genius

By Max L I

Aug 12, 2017

Tim Roughgarden does an amazing job at explaining this topic. The only very very small downside is, that video and voice are not always in sync.

By Yaz

Jan 5, 2018

An excellent course. Frees your mind from the high school paradigm of procedural approach to Maths at the expense of pure, ground up reasoning.

By Péricles L M

Jun 28, 2020

I had an amazing experience and a good review to main topics on Algorithms theory and I learned some nice new algorithms like Karger Algorthm.

By Himanshu G

Sep 14, 2017

Excellent course. Professor Roughgarden did a splendid job of explaining the most intricate details in a way understood by even weak students.