Back to Data Science Ethics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Ethics by University of Michigan

What are the ethical considerations regarding the privacy and control of consumer information and big data, especially in the aftermath of recent large-scale data breaches? This course provides a framework to analyze these concerns as you examine the ethical and privacy implications of collecting and managing big data. Explore the broader impact of the data science field on modern society and the principles of fairness, accountability and transparency as you gain a deeper understanding of the importance of a shared set of ethical values. You will examine the need for voluntary disclosure when leveraging metadata to inform basic algorithms and/or complex artificial intelligence systems while also learning best practices for responsible data management, understanding the significance of the Fair Information Practices Principles Act and the laws concerning the "right to be forgotten." This course will help you answer questions such as who owns data, how do we value privacy, how to receive informed consent and what it means to be fair. Data scientists and anyone beginning to use or expand their use of data will benefit from this course. No particular previous knowledge needed....

LA

Jun 27, 2019

I really enjoyed the material and the way it was presented. Even though I am not new to the topic, still more avenues and perspectives were supported with very good examples. Very refreshing.

AY

Mar 18, 2019

Absolutely delightful to have Professor Jagadish walking us through the course. The course was informative and very stimulating. Opens up to a new world of data science ethics. Thank you!

1 - 25 of 42 Reviews for Data Science Ethics

By Kim K L

Jul 09, 2018

This is really a great course. It is a starting point for anyone who want to get deeper into Data Science Ethics. Even if I feel that I am fairly familiar with the topic, I learned a lot and particular the case studies were really great. It should be a must for anyone in Data Science.

By Aaron Z

Feb 17, 2018

This couse presented some interesting case studies, but never presented a real ethical system. In particular, the instructor frequently equated ethical behavior with socially acceptable behavior (this activity by corporation x was unethical because it resulted in public outcry). Someone with a background in ethics really should have been consulted in course developement.

On a purely practical matter, the ta did not seem to have any training in ethics at all. He just responded to every comment in the discussion area with a "what about" statement that sounded like it came straight from a late night dorm room bs session.

By adriana s l e

Feb 21, 2019

Excellent Course!

By Lyn M R

Feb 23, 2019

Terrific course reviewing the ethical considerations surrounding use of big data.

By Dunsin F

Mar 01, 2019

Taking course showed me the usually neglected ethics of Data. Simple yet very vital.

By Ramkumar I

Apr 15, 2019

Crisp with lot of examples

By Anny Y

Mar 18, 2019

By PRANAV P K

Apr 22, 2018

Best course for Data Science Ethics

By Amitkumar H B

Jul 05, 2018

Very much interactive and content ful

By Menashe M

Jun 12, 2018

Really liked the way the info was presented.

By Joel D M

Jul 01, 2018

This course is short, slow, and easy, but I ranked it five stars because the content is important in today's growing reliance on data science.

By Nicole R

May 13, 2018

A rigorous, mind-opening course on the ethical questions raised by the collection and use of data.

By Sahibzada A M

May 15, 2018

Excellent Course. Gives interesting and detailed perspectives on ethical matters related to how data can be used and should be used.

By Lukasz S

Feb 15, 2018

Definitely a good choice fo the beginners in this topic. Highly recommended for the Europeans as the American regulations differ and the course covers most of them. Interesting reading materials that encourage to do research on your own.

By BHAVESH N P

Mar 06, 2018

I liked this course very much and Data Science Ethics explained very nice manner. I will recommend to join this course.

By Christopher A

Feb 13, 2018

I like to think I'm an ethical person, but this course challenged me about some biases I hadn't even considered. It's a well presented course that won't demand that you put hours and hours in every week.

By Senthanal S M

Dec 31, 2017

Very informative and enough case studies to show examples. Highly recommended for data scientists.

By Greg S

Sep 01, 2018

Very relevant and interesting course. I recommend it.

By Philip A

Aug 20, 2018

It is quite amazing I took this course. I was able to apply it to other scenarios in my personal online life.

By Vibha14

Oct 23, 2018

liked the case study at end of each topic

By Eise d V

Nov 08, 2018

Short, but great course for beginners that gives interesting perspectives on some ethical matters in data science.

By Marco M

Aug 09, 2018

As I expected, the course provided me a lot of food for thought.

The aspect that I appreciated most was the necessity, as an Italian legal privacy counsel, to put aside my legal and GDPR background, and to think in a “more ethic manner”. This kind of approach permitted me to view the EU General Data Protection Regulation with new eyes, finding some aspects about that Regulation that I think could be improved.

By Leila T A

Jun 27, 2019

By Darmain

Jul 26, 2019

Very good course with excellent examples and a balanced approach. My only issue was that the pace of the presentation was a little too slow at times. Content-wise, excellent.

By Steve H