Back to Introduction to International Criminal Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to International Criminal Law by Case Western Reserve University

-- About the Course -- From the Nuremberg trial to the case against Saddam Hussein, from the prosecution of Al-Qaeda terrorists to the trial of Somali pirates – no area of law is as important to world peace and security as international criminal law. Taught by one of the world’s leading experts in the field, this course will educate students about the fundamentals of international criminal law and policy. We will explore the contours of international crimes such as genocide, war crimes, terrorism, and piracy. We will examine unique modes of international criminal liability and specialized defenses. And we will delve into the challenges of obtaining custody of the accused and maintaining control of the courtroom. -- Course Syllabus -- This course comprises eight units (or "modules"). Each will include an assigned reading, typically an article or book chapter, as well as a simulation designed to bring the readings to life. I will also offer video lectures on each of the topics, accompanied by slides. In addition, there will be online role-play exercises and debates, enabling the students to share their own insights. The order of class sessions will be: (1) History: From Nuremberg to The Hague (2) International Crimes Part 1: War Crimes, Genocide, Crimes against Humanity, and Torture (3) International Crimes Part 2: Terrorism and Piracy (4) Special modes of liability: command responsibility, co-perpetration, and incitement (5) Special defenses: insanity, obedience to orders, duress, and head of state immunity (6) Gaining custody of the accused: extradition, luring, abduction, and targeted killing (7) Pre-Trial Issues: plea bargaining, self-representation, and exclusion of torture evidence (8) Maintaining control of the courtroom -- Recommended Background -- You don’t have to be a lawyer and there are no prerequisites for this course. However, the course will be conducted at the level expected of advanced undergraduate students. Therefore, for all participants, reading and writing comfortably in English at the undergraduate college level is desirable. -- Suggested Readings -- Students should read the assigned online materials for each unit in advance of the class session. In addition, students are invited to subscribe to “War Crimes Prosecution Watch,” a free bi-weekly e-newsletter that summarizes the latest developments in the field of international criminal law. -- Course Format -- This course is made up of eight content units. Each unit is based on an online reading assignment, a video lecture of about one hour in length, and one or more role play exercises to stimulate on-line discussion. The course also offers in-video enrichment quizzes (ungraded) for each unit, a ten question multiple choice midterm diagnostics exam (ungraded), and a ten question True/False Final Exam. -- FAQ-- How will this course be graded? This course is graded on completion. In order to complete the course each student must: (1) finish each module (or “lesson”); (2) write at least one essay response of 200 words or more for at least one simulation throughout the course; and (3) get a score of 6 out of 10 or better on the Final Exam. What resources will I need for this course? For this course, all you need is an Internet connection, and the time to read and discuss the exciting materials available online. What is the coolest thing about this course? The topics we will be discussing are ripped from the headlines. The topics are often controversial and thought-provoking, and always exciting....

AG

Nov 15, 2015

This course is flexible & stuffed with huge information which is really helpful to build our knowledge. Thank you very very much for providing this course.\n\nAnnesha Kar Gupta

EB

Nov 29, 2015

I thoroughly enjoyed this highly informative course - it shed a lot of light on aspects which have puzzled me over the years. Fascinating and very well presented. Thank you.

1 - 25 of 248 Reviews for Introduction to International Criminal Law

By

Jul 15, 2019

That's significant course for beginners to international criminal law.

By Mdumezulu S N

Jul 14, 2019

The course has been enlightening and very helpful in guiding me towards a better grasp of International Criminal Law. The convenience of the coursera.org online learning environment also means I can do this at a pace and distance that fits in with my daily responsibilities.

By Cecilia O

Jul 06, 2019

Lo mejor que me ha pasado es llegar a ser alumna de este gran profesor y el orgullo de terminar satisfactoriamente el curso, el cuál cuenta con un alto nivel internacional.

Gracias por todo

By Sushant P A

Jun 29, 2019

Coursera, through this course and all its other ones has made learning law more experiential and interactive. The role-play exercises and simulations have made me understand Law even better than your videos did. The study material is always top-notch. Overall, the best experience in education.

By Diogo L O N

Muito bom

By Kristopher R

Jun 18, 2019

So interesting. Found it a really, really terrific introduction to ICL. Learned so much understanding about how all this works globally. Thank you Professor! Every world leader needs to take this in order to learn more about his/her liability.

By MTRO A D S D

EXCELENTE CURSO

By Sandra P

Jun 10, 2019

Informative and interesting!

By Malaya K T

Jun 06, 2019

As far as my experience concerned, this course was of great use in our professional career and it is also very much helpful in my graduation. The learned Professor of this course deals with the vast topic of this course very gently and in a precise manner.

By Jairo G P

May 14, 2019

It's very good and the professor is excelent!

By Maria d L d L

May 10, 2019

First of all, I would like to greet Professor Michel Scharf for the passing of his birthday on April 25th. Congratulations!

Secondly, I wanted to say that I was in love with the course of International Criminal Law, for its comprehensiveness in every way, but also, I was surprised by the content, quite complex but wonderful.

I loved the teaching of Professor Michel Sharf, humorous, which is captivating the student to proceed, and also, it tells people in general, that the Judge does not have an easy, glamorous life.

That it is very difficult to practice art called "Justice", which is often dangerous, sad, tiring, but also, can be funny.

One of the themes that touched me most were the crimes committed against and by children induced by adults.

Here in Brazil, I try to do research on the "Disappearance of Children" and what motives lead them to live on the streets.

I want to apologize for the English that I need to improve.

As I like Criminal Law too much, I intend to take part in other courses.

See you later,

Thank you for the opportunity.

Enviar feedback

Histórico

Salvas

Comunidade

By Guillermo I A

May 08, 2019

I have taken already different courses of Coursera, and I can assure that this course ir really well developed, with deeply knowledge of both theory and case analysis.

By Prashant S S

May 03, 2019

Very nice and informative course

By Sarah N

Apr 27, 2019

This course answers many questions that l had on my mind about the decisions of States. It has enlightened me about the actions of the ICC. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to comprehend international law.

By Abdulrahmn

Apr 27, 2019

ز

By DIEGO V O

Apr 22, 2019

Excelente curso nos despeja muchas dudas de cómo se maneja el derecho internacional

By Muhammed M

Apr 02, 2019

i really learnt those things which was away from me and also enjoyed a lot this course.

By Margarito Z

Apr 01, 2019

Muchísimas gracias a todos los maestros y personal que participa en el curso, por compartir sus conocimientos en un curso de Excelencia. Muchísimas gracias.

By Чумаков Д В

Mar 28, 2019

10/10

By Hernán A v

Mar 18, 2019

ESTE CURSO ME AYUDÓ A ENTENDER AL ÁMBITO PENAL INTERNACIONAL, Y TENER UNA MIRADA MÁS CRÍTICA , COMO FUNCIONARIO PÚBLICA, POLICÍA DE LA PROVINCIA DE MENDOZA ARGENTINA. ME AYUDO A ENTENDER MAS EL MARCO DE DERECHO INTERNCIONAL.

By JOSÉ L R C

Mar 17, 2019

This course opens the doors for me in the development and advancement of my professional career. It is at the forefront of international standards in the area of higher education. Thank you very much for the opportunity.

By Matias G R R

Mar 11, 2019

Interesting topics, well explained with great examples and participation in the simulations

By Srinidhi E

Mar 03, 2019

Its a great course. i loved everything.!!!!!!!!!!

By Natalia E

Feb 26, 2019

Excellent course, very interesting and well designed.

By Rafael C P

Feb 25, 2019

EXCELLENT COURSE,

VERY UNSUITABLE TOPIC. THE SPEAKER EXPLAINS VERY WELL.