Back to Jewish Diaspora in Modern China

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Jewish Diaspora in Modern China by Nanjing University

4.3

Jewish Diaspora in China is a unique experience for world Jewry, as China is the only country in Far East that has had Jews living in its society for over 1,000 years. Documentary evidence shows that Jews started to live in China no later than the Tang Dynasty (618–907). The famous Kaifeng Jewish community, which was established in Kaifeng, the Chinese capital of the Song Dynasty (960-1279), is but a best-known example. However, the largest Jewish Diaspora in China appeared in modern times. In over 100 years, from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century, about 40,000 Jews came to China and lived in newly-established major port cities such as Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tianjin, and Harbin. Jewish communities composed of these Jews became an essential part of the economic and social life of those modern Chinese cities. What brought such a large number of Jews to China? Where did these people come from? How did they arrive? Were they all in China at the same time, and were there any differences among them? What happened to them after they arrived? Where are they now? The story of Jews in modern China is certainly a fascinating and up-lifting one. This course will examine these questions and more....

RS

Oct 29, 2015

The subject matter of this course was new for me and was very interesting. I appreciate Professor Xin Xu and Nanjing University for providing this learning opportunity.\n\nThank you

LL

Jun 19, 2016

The professor and the archival materials such as photographs are very engaging. The historical periods studied are fascinating, and well-suited to a short course.

1 - 25 of 36 Reviews for Jewish Diaspora in Modern China

By Maria M S

Aug 07, 2017

Interesting course overall.

By Randy P O

May 27, 2017

This was a wonderful course and so informative. It helps me advocate for the Kaifeng Jews with American elected officials and informed my advocacy. I have so enjoyed the course and have bought a book by the Professor.

By Asya T

May 27, 2017

Thanks!waiting for my Certificate!

By Lisa W

Mar 23, 2017

I am thoroughly enjoying this course and I've learned so much! I had no idea that there were Jews in China and that so many fled there as a result of persecution in other countries. This has opened my eyes to a subject I knew nothing about and I love learning!!

By Caelyn M

Dec 06, 2016

Fascinating material; but accent of the lecturer was sometimes difficult to understand. The peer reviewed essays were good topics; but in one case definitely should have attached to the following week. The multiple choice tests, however, seemed to focus on trivia. Flawed; but still a really interesting course.

By Marsha P

Nov 14, 2016

This was a great course. I was a History major in college, but the information that I learned in this course was a complete surprise to me.

By jose L M

Sep 04, 2016

Excellent

By MK.KANNAPHIRAN

Aug 08, 2016

i came to more about china this is useful for me to do international business thank you !

By Harriett G

Jun 28, 2016

Learned much. Instructor was well organized. Subtitles were extremely beneficial.

By L.G.

Jun 19, 2016

By Michael N R

Jun 13, 2016

Not as advertized and way too much peer rating stuff--we do all the work the instructor does little or none--too much peer rating stuff which I despise. And there seems to be no way to un-enroll.

By Pamela J R

Apr 25, 2016

This course was unique in several ways. It covers a subject from WWII and Jewish history that is largely overlooked. The lectures were interspersed with video that added a unique flavor. The students seem to come from a variety of countries. As a student, some of the lecture material was difficult to understand, though presented in English; subtitles helped. If there is a complaint of deficiency, it is the lack of support, feedback, or availability of staff on comment boards. I encountered a problem due to a mis-counting of the peer reviews completed, and a delay in my grade, so finally gave up and kept doing peer reviews until it showed as complete. The peer reviews on my own assignments were delayed. I think 4 peer reviews is too much, whether from low enrollment, language barrier or other issue. But I learned much, and this added to my current study of the role of China in WWII.

By Joy S

Mar 10, 2016

Excellent information I was previously unaware of. Found subtitles useful as the instructor has an accent. Enjoyed photographs and music in class. Very interesting subject.

By 李瑞

Feb 12, 2016

通过学习这一课程,我对散居中国的犹太人有了更深刻的认识,满足了我对犹太人研究的兴趣。非常感谢徐老师的精彩讲解!

By Emily T

Feb 01, 2016

Very informative, taught with great pictures and at a good pace.

By Matthew P

Jan 05, 2016

I learned a lot in this course and highly recommend it. I lived in Tianjin for over four years and often passed the old Synagogue and wondered about its history. The videos in this series are well done and the information is just enough to be eye opening and engaging without being burdensome. I also learned quite a bit from the other participants in the course.

By larry z

Dec 10, 2015

good and informative presentation

By tahnna

Dec 01, 2015

Excellent course. Complete and very interresting. Objective.

By Alice Z

Nov 18, 2015

Fascinating thoughtful look into Chinese interactions.

Excellent peer assessments if you pay attention to what is told you about the focus.

Only drawback, for me, was no downloadable txt [when took course].

By Jose R

Nov 18, 2015

EXcelente curso, muy bien documentado, muy buen profesor. :-)

By Geoffrey P

Nov 15, 2015

A fascinating course but delivered in a rather wooden fashion by the lecturer. Good illustrations. I would have liked to have known more of the overall value (if any) of the Jewish contribution in the context of Chinese economic development i.e. was it of any overall importance- did it make any difference? Is it still relevant?

By Nazerul K B

Nov 14, 2015

Its been an eye opening experience.

By Rebecca S

Oct 29, 2015

By Jesslyn T

Oct 17, 2015

Very interesting subject! Although I would also like to learn about this subject in relation to

By Randall D

Oct 17, 2015

Excellent class with good use of photographs and video. The professor was clear and interesting. Content was fascinating.