Back to Jewish Diaspora in Modern China

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Jewish Diaspora in Modern China by Nanjing University

4.3

Jewish Diaspora in China is a unique experience for world Jewry, as China is the only country in Far East that has had Jews living in its society for over 1,000 years. Documentary evidence shows that Jews started to live in China no later than the Tang Dynasty (618–907). The famous Kaifeng Jewish community, which was established in Kaifeng, the Chinese capital of the Song Dynasty (960-1279), is but a best-known example. However, the largest Jewish Diaspora in China appeared in modern times. In over 100 years, from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century, about 40,000 Jews came to China and lived in newly-established major port cities such as Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tianjin, and Harbin. Jewish communities composed of these Jews became an essential part of the economic and social life of those modern Chinese cities. What brought such a large number of Jews to China? Where did these people come from? How did they arrive? Were they all in China at the same time, and were there any differences among them? What happened to them after they arrived? Where are they now? The story of Jews in modern China is certainly a fascinating and up-lifting one. This course will examine these questions and more....

RS

Oct 29, 2015

The subject matter of this course was new for me and was very interesting. I appreciate Professor Xin Xu and Nanjing University for providing this learning opportunity.\n\nThank you

LL

Jun 19, 2016

The professor and the archival materials such as photographs are very engaging. The historical periods studied are fascinating, and well-suited to a short course.

1 - 25 of 36 Reviews for Jewish Diaspora in Modern China

By L.G.

Jun 19, 2016

By Laura D G

Aug 27, 2015

I learn so many things I didn't even imagine. Thank you so much!

By Nazerul K B

Nov 14, 2015

Its been an eye opening experience.

By tahnna

Dec 01, 2015

Excellent course. Complete and very interresting. Objective.

By Alice Z

Nov 18, 2015

Fascinating thoughtful look into Chinese interactions.

Excellent peer assessments if you pay attention to what is told you about the focus.

Only drawback, for me, was no downloadable txt [when took course].

By Pam F

Aug 30, 2015

One of the best courses I have taken on Cousera. Very good instructor. It was more work than some of the courses I have taken because of the number of peer assessments, but I have really enjoyed it. I would be interested in taking other courses from Nanjing University and/or this instructor.

By Harriett G

Jun 28, 2016

Learned much. Instructor was well organized. Subtitles were extremely beneficial.

By Rebecca S

Oct 29, 2015

By Jose R

Nov 18, 2015

EXcelente curso, muy bien documentado, muy buen profesor. :-)

By Matthew J

Sep 04, 2015

A really lovely course; good pacing, fantastic presentation. Lovingly crafted.

By Jorge E M A

Oct 16, 2015

A story of perseverance, courage and respect among nations, a thank the Chinese people for sharing an unknown history.

By Randy P O

May 27, 2017

This was a wonderful course and so informative. It helps me advocate for the Kaifeng Jews with American elected officials and informed my advocacy. I have so enjoyed the course and have bought a book by the Professor.

By Asya T

May 27, 2017

Thanks!waiting for my Certificate!

By Randall D

Oct 17, 2015

Excellent class with good use of photographs and video. The professor was clear and interesting. Content was fascinating.

By Lisa W

Mar 23, 2017

I am thoroughly enjoying this course and I've learned so much! I had no idea that there were Jews in China and that so many fled there as a result of persecution in other countries. This has opened my eyes to a subject I knew nothing about and I love learning!!

By Marsha P

Nov 14, 2016

This was a great course. I was a History major in college, but the information that I learned in this course was a complete surprise to me.

By 李瑞

Feb 12, 2016

通过学习这一课程,我对散居中国的犹太人有了更深刻的认识,满足了我对犹太人研究的兴趣。非常感谢徐老师的精彩讲解!

By Jesslyn T

Oct 17, 2015

Very interesting subject! Although I would also like to learn about this subject in relation to

By Emily T

Feb 01, 2016

Very informative, taught with great pictures and at a good pace.

By Linda W

Aug 21, 2015

Very interesting subject. I have learned a lot of interesting history of the Jewish people.

By Judi T

Aug 29, 2015

THE COURSE IS EXTREMELY INTERESTING AND VERY CLEARLY PRESENTED.

IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE PROFESSOR IS PASSIONATE ABOUT THE SUBJECT.

I AM LEARNING A LOT AND GRATEFUL FOR THE INFORMATION

JUDI TURNER

By larry z

Dec 10, 2015

good and informative presentation

By Joy S

Mar 10, 2016

Excellent information I was previously unaware of. Found subtitles useful as the instructor has an accent. Enjoyed photographs and music in class. Very interesting subject.

By Manuela E

Sep 24, 2015

I thought this was a very interesting course on a topic I knew nothing about. Apart from the history of the Jews in China I learnt a great deal about China in the 19th and 20th century.

My only criticism of the course was the very confusing rubric for peer marking the assignments. The criteria were very specific and , in my view, didn't necessarily reflect the subject of the essay.

By jose L M