Back to Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies by Wesleyan University

Welcome to Understanding Memory. Someone once said that memory is fascinating because sometimes we forget what we want to remember, sometimes we remember what we want to forget, and sometimes we remember events that never happened or never happened the way we remember them. I want to show you how memory works, why it sometimes fails, and what we can do to enhance it. Based on my recent book – Memory and Movies: What Films Can Teach Us About Memory (MIT Press, 2015) – I will provide an introduction to the scientific study of human memory by focusing on a select group of topics that hold widespread appeal. To facilitate your understanding, I will use clips from numerous films to illustrate different aspects of memory – describing what has been learned about memory in a nontechnical way for people with no prior background in psychology. Many of us love watching movies because they offer an unparalleled opportunity for entertainment, even if entertaining films are not always scientifically accurate. Still, I believe that we can learn a lot about memory from popular films, if we watch them with an educated eye. Welcome once more. I am looking forward to showing you what movies can teach us about memory. John Seamon Professor of Psychology Emeritus Wesleyan University...

RD
Jul 31, 2020

The material is presented in an easy to remember and understand format. Information is repeated several times during a lecture. The videos chosen enhanced understanding and engagement in the lectures.

KK
Jun 2, 2020

one of the best course I did on Coursera. I really love learning memory and psychology at the same time. the examples given are really just awesome. One useful course during this COVID-19 pandemic.

476 - 500 of 518 Reviews for Understanding Memory: Explaining the Psychology of Memory through Movies

By Berenice J J

Jul 6, 2018

It was an exceptional course. I have learned a lot. Thanks!

By Isil M B

Nov 12, 2017

Un curso excelente y muy práctico. Totalmente recomendable.

By Sharon D

Jun 26, 2016

Very interesting course. Easy to follow and well presented.

By Weronika B

Nov 16, 2016

Nice comparisons, presenter might have talk a bit louder

By Katherine M K

Jul 4, 2017

I found this course interesting all the way through.

By Madelyn S

Oct 1, 2016

Enjoyed the content and examples through the movies

By Saisree M P

It makes "memory" a lot more interesting chapter

By Jouhans H G

May 27, 2019

Muy bueno, interesante, práctico e interesante.

By Mansi K

Jul 4, 2016

Liked the course, subject, content and faculty.

By John C

Mar 11, 2019

Awesome course. Loved the use of movie clips.

By Kousay a

May 18, 2016

Memory is an important topic to learn about.

By elisa G d R

Sep 17, 2016

Was very Interesting! I learned a lot!! Tks

By Janette V C

Oct 24, 2018

Muy buen curso sobre temas de psicología

By Britta G

Jul 6, 2016

Very interesting in an entertaining way

By Caroline B

Sep 1, 2017

Very interesting and easy to follow !

By Aleksandro d S S

Feb 23, 2020

Very interesting and useful course.

By Ivan

Oct 31, 2017

Fun and informative course.

By Eckstein B M

Aug 6, 2017

this subject is interesting

By Shirley K

Jul 7, 2020

fun course glad I took it

By George L