Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

76 - 100 of 114 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By Ludvig M

Feb 25, 2018

SUPER FUN!!

By Ruth V

Dec 13, 2016

Love the clarity of the instructors deliver which is supported by great explanations and most importantly visual aids & demonstrations.

By Pragyaa

May 16, 2017

Very Happy with the presentations they put in the lectures. Very comprehensibly put. This course says "Fundamentals of Plant Biology" and serves the same way. Not very advanced things but the ones that are put are worth going through to know/study. Thanks.

By José R R L

Mar 27, 2017

Ótimo curso amei, explica de maneira fácil e objetiva

By Brando M C G

May 20, 2017

excellent

By Joaquin S H

Oct 17, 2018

Excellent course, very clear and complete biology material, I am convince that undersatanding plant could be a tremendous tool to provide food in the next years, we could start ourselves and then teaching our childeren to get along with crops. It is amazing how plants respond to all the stimuli we deliver to them, in this class I have learned a lot about taking care to plants.

Thanks Prof. Daniel

By Dean P

Aug 30, 2018

Professor Chamovitz is hands down one of he best professors here in Coursera. This was the most enjoyable science class I had for a long time (and I had a lot of them as a former civil engineer student and current nutritionist.).

By Sharjeel A

Nov 02, 2018

EXCELLENT

By Dawn B

Dec 03, 2018

I was so excited when I saw that Professor Daniel Chamovitz was doing another course on plants. I completed his first course some years ago. I so enjoyed that course. Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I had a hysterectomy and six courses of chemotherapy. I had heard that it can affect ones brain. So, not only have I proved to myself that my brain is functioning just fine, I have spoiled myself by taking and passing this fascinating course.

Thank you so much Professor. I hope that you will be back with another course on plants to delight me. I am a 73 years old female living in the plant paradise of Cape Town, South Africa where there are a huge variety of indigenous plants waiting to help mankind.

By Jennifer V

Jun 19, 2019

Again, fascinating information that will help me as a biology teacher and gardener

By Mariana G G

Jun 20, 2019

Very interesting and clear course

By Wang L

Jul 05, 2019

It inspires me to dig the plan biology furtherly.

By Paulina A O d Z

May 16, 2019

I loved both parts of this course. But I don't know why the "Part II" is not "Part I", because things they explained in "Part II" help to understand things in "Part I". "Part I" is more advanced.

By Adriana O

Aug 20, 2019

It is well explained and the quizzes are thinking to answer. I got a great review of plant science and also I learn new topics

By Larissa D

Nov 04, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. It cemented the biology learned in Part 1 and extended to a more detailed look at photosynthesis.

By Veliko D

Oct 20, 2019

Amazingly interesting course. I am not a specialist, but mathematician who is natural sciences geek. I learned many things and it added on my passion for botany, biology and genetics.

I really hope for more courses from Daniel Chamovitz!

By Andre P

Nov 08, 2019

Very good overview of the world of plants and human interaction

By John S

Nov 12, 2019

This course provides an excellent foundation in cell structure and physiology as well as plant biology. The discussion of GMOs was hugely beneficial.

By Victoria R

Nov 21, 2019

I enjoy how Professor Chamovits explain concepts and make them simple, thanks!

By LolaP

Feb 06, 2019

C'était très enrichissant et intéressant. J'ai préféré en revanche la Partie I que je trouvais plus riches.

Merci encore pour ces cours!! Une super opportunité d'apprendre la biologie.

By John N

Sep 05, 2017

Great introductionary course for basics of Plants Biology. The other Course course from Dean Chamovitz - "What a Plant Knows" is much more interesting, is has 70% of the same knowledge.

By timothy b

May 29, 2017

Very detailed and informative without seeming like schoolwork. I would have given it 5 stars except the GMO lectures were too focused on technology to the exclusion of environmental concerns. Even if GMOs are safe for humans, lab studies are poor predictors of field results. GMOs share many of the problems of invasive species and biological controls. Once released, they require constant monitoring and management, a cost many users are not willing to incur.

By Matthew R

Jan 11, 2018

Shorter than some other courses, but very informative and easy to understand!

By Dan D

Jun 16, 2018

I enjoyed the course and learned a fair amount. And although I've signed up for a handful of Coursera courses over the years, this is my first time ever actually completing one! :)Great professor with a clear lecturing style. I would like to see more PDF materials included in the course. For example, chapters from biology; botany; and other related textbooks -- but also other related texts and not necessarily from textbooks.I was also for a class which focused on a bit more of, for lack of a better way to put it, the plants themselves; maybe not so much at a cellular level but perhaps more at the level of plant organs, reproduction, plant evolution and survival strategies, etc.

By Richard K