Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)

BA

Jan 28, 2019

Lecture videos were broken into small parts whereby it's easy to understand and digest. Assessment given were relevant to what was taught for each segment. Navigating around course contents were easy.

DJ

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

326 - 350 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Victor E

Oct 10, 2018

There is nothing better than being taught by passionate people. Charles Severance is one of those rare gems of education. Online learning was also new to me and definitely something very I wish I had been able to do when I was studying 20 years ago.

The bonus videos were very interesting and this is something that adds a lot of value to the course.

I have done the first course only (in 3 days) and will try to wrap the specialization soon.

By akshada s s

Feb 06, 2019

I m very thankful for the team coursera who given me the opportunity to complete the course and providing me the certificate.I m very thanfull to team coursera you consider my financial aid and allow me to freely join the course.This certificate plays very important role in my carrer.thank you so much coursera.Its my pleasure towards you.please give me such a more opportunities so could i expand my carrer at a great height............

By Adam M

Dec 20, 2015

I am a GIS Analyst who could really benefit from an improved Python skill set. In the past I have tried to take Python courses but became frustrated early on in the classes for a variety of reasons (not enough background info on topics, not enough instructor support, etc.). This class really helped me understand the basics and perhaps more importantly, it piqued my interest. Dr. Severence is great. Stay quirky! It is lots of fun.

By Vikram M

Nov 18, 2019

An excellent introductory course to learn the basic concepts and thought patterns that everyone needs to be able to combine basic programming skills with their current line of work. The class uses practical examples that most of us can relate to instead of theoretical ones. I highly recommend starting with this course before taking more advanced programming courses, especially if you have no prior programming education or experience.

By Harry E J J

Oct 26, 2018

Great course. Very approachable, well taught, well paced. Well suited to people completely new to computer programming and for those with computer experience looking to learn Python. The professor is great! He does an excellent job of explaining the what, why, and how of basic computer programming concepts. Which will serve you well no matter what language you learn going forward, as the concepts apply across software languages.

By Heinrich A

Apr 10, 2017

Interesting introduction course for people who want to learn Python. You don't need programming skills (though they always come in handy), because the course starts at the very beginning. I guess this helps everybody to easily adapt to the language, which itself in my opinion is pretty straight forward and quite easy to learn. I'm really looking forward to the more tricky and complex parts in the other courses of this specialization.

By Waqas U R

May 21, 2018

Before this course I always thought of programming as a frightening monster. But enrolling in this course was on of the best things to happen as the instructor taught and carried out this course in a very elegant way. The course was well paced and I never felt throughout this course that It couldn't be completed successfully as it happened before in other programming courses at my institute. Thank you Charles and thank you coursera

By Sherry A

Sep 14, 2017

Great course. For me it was a refresher of the basic programming skills that I learned in undergrad but have rarely put to use. I needed to know very basic things like what editor to use, how to run python files, and the syntax / structure of loops, etc. I got all that and more! I appreciate the instructors enthusiasm, and I think this course could be a good introduction to programming for students who have never programmed before.

By Gregorio A A P

Jul 09, 2017

Excelente, un gran curso con un enfoque de calidad al 100%, solo que es lamentable no poder disfrutar el curso al 100% en el idioma español ya que no todo el contenido esta traducido, si fuera posible seria muy bueno que lo traduzcan todo al español ya que existe gran demanda por parte de los estudiantes de latino america el querer aprender cursos de gran calidad como este.

Nuevamente felicitaciones por la calidad del curso. Saludos

By Wilman M R C

Feb 10, 2016

I have see many courses of computer programing in courser, some are not really good and some are not really for beginners (even if they say it). So I follow this course ones before and I din not finish but I really like it, because is for beginners, is clear and slow in the way to show the topic, is fun, but also and most importan I feel like I'm learning a lot. Almost finish course 1 and really optimistic to do all specialization.

By Anmol P

Sep 06, 2017

This course is really helpful for people who are planning to try hands in the field of computation. Python I feel is a good platform to gain some coding experience because:

a) It is easy to comprehend with simple syntax.

b) It is very flexible.

c)It adds good value to your CV.

And I feel Professor Charles Severance has done a good job. I think maybe it will be better for the beginners to use the book along as they progress.

Thank you.

By Janet P d R

Oct 04, 2019

I recommend this course for all those who have not been previously linked to the programming as it shows you the basics to get started. It is made for the public in general.

For those who speak Spanish as mother tongue, I recommend to use the English subtitles option so you can more easily follow the teacher and notice small details, which are often necessary in programming.

Thanks to the teacher for his pleasant way of teaching.

By Yurshanva K

Sep 03, 2019

As the name itself says " Programming for Everybody" is indeed for all, i thought i would lose interest from week 1 but i did not and here I am, finally i have completed course 1. Now I'am definitely going to continue course 2, and thank you so much for the understandable teaching, it was like a story, not confusing at all. Also, because of this course, I'am going to pursue a career in programming. Really inspired by this course.

Oct 03, 2017

In my opinion this was an excellent course. All the information was available, and well explained. The professor Dr. Chuck it's a great teacher, he made me laugh a couple of times, so I really enjoy all the videos and excercises. I found very interesting all the interviews to famous people, such as Guido Van Rossum, Massimo Banzi and Daphne Koller. Thanks so much to everyone who makes this course possible and thanks to Coursera.

By Miska J

Aug 17, 2017

Like the title states, 'Getting started..'. So if you have prior programming experience this might feel a bit elementary, but if you're completely new to Python there's still plenty of things to get you going faster with Python. And if you're completely new to programming... This course is definitely bang for the buck! Very easy to follow, great examples to get things sinking in fast and in overall, very well constructed course.

By Thiago R

Feb 08, 2019

I'm studying programming to change my career. I always thought programming was very difficult, a job for a few brilliant minds only, but Dr. Chuck made me believe it is doable. Don´t get me wrong! Programming takes A LOT of work, but it is far from impossible... Also, learning only the basics in programming already gives you a totally different view of the world. Thank you Dr. Chuck and Coursera, you literally changed my life.

By Rajneesh G

Sep 08, 2018

I have completed this course,in a weekend spending 3-4 hours a days and found the course difficulty to be easy.

The course is really easy to understand and the assignments and quiz makes it easy to build the concepts. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to start Python programming. The way Dr. Charles teaches the concepts is a very interactive fashion and this keeps you motivated to complete the course. Thank you.

By Hamad A

May 21, 2018

I was already familiar with programing basics (if statements, while loop, for loop, etc.), and I took this course to familiarize myself with python syntax. If this is your first time programming, I highly recommend this course. Lectures provide great explanations of python basics and Prof. Severance is an entertaining lecturer. However, while lectures are great, I wish the course had more practice problems for each assignment.

By Vipin P

Aug 08, 2017

A very creative, simple and clear way to explain a language you might have no idea about. Hats off to Dr Charles Severance for his great work to move from one point to another. I really appreciate it. The method of teaching is simple and increases your rate to learn. I will not hide the fact that it was my first time I wanted to learn more and more. Thank you Coursera and Dr Charles Severance for making it memorable. Loved it!

By Mario M

Oct 30, 2016

I'm studding Journalism and I didn't know nothing about programming. I found this course very interesting, when I finished the degree, I will need to collect and analyze tons of data, I think and this course gave me a little introduction in this fascinating world of Python! All the material is well explained, and you can see him programming too so you can copy his code to check and study it. A really good course, thanks!

By Dmytri

May 02, 2016

Great course for those who have zero programming experience. The course is very well structured and designed to walk you through the learning process to more advanced material in the future courses. The assessment is done through interactive assignments and quizzes.

I'm glad to have a privilege of taking this course and would like to thank Dr. Chuck, University of Michigan and Coursera for this wonderful opportunity!

Thank you!

By PRASANT K S

Jul 24, 2018

This is great place to learn.

According to me the videos, and documents shared in this portal are very helpful and relates to the real world. which makes the things to understand easily.

Thanks to Coursera, for providing such a platform, where we can explore our self, and do review of others. put queries and answer to others queries too,'

Thanks to "Charles Severance" for his beautiful presentation and knowledgeable lectures.

By Robson

Dec 30, 2019

Learning is more than repeat guided steps in order to master them.

Learning is a change behavior of the brain in order to see the world differently.

So this course not only teach me how to program but also enhace my sensebility of seeing things around me.

To become a programer, to become a better person, to become more focused to become wise i recommend this classes.

Thank you a lot for all involved in this awesome course.

By Mark

Jul 23, 2017

Really enjoyed the course. The material is clear and well presented, and the quality of tuition was brilliant. Very helpful discussion boards and relatively challenging assignments that force you to apply what you have learned. The pace is pretty relaxed which is great if you have a fulltime job or other commitments - then again, it is an introductory course, so that might be expected. Can't really think of any negatives.

By Mario

Jan 26, 2019

This course is perfect if you have zero to little experience on the overall basic programming paradigm. It contains simple but insightful exercises which will help you to understand concepts (from variable declaration to loops) with ease (the teacher is great). If you are fairly used to dealing with programming and you need something challenging, then this course could seem too much easy and familiar, but helpful anyway.