Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

KG

Jan 26, 2016

A really simple and what is the most important a clear course.\n\nReally hope that next sessions are created in the same manner.\n\nWill highly recommend to anyone who decides to start studying Python

JT

Nov 12, 2016

I completed the course in about three days. I've never programmed before to the learning curve was excruciating but nonetheless I managed to get through and finally get my python feet wet so to speak.

301 - 325 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Omatsola C D I

Sep 19, 2019

During the first assignment, I was taken aback by being given something to solve that was a bit more advanced than what had been learned up to that point, but this was great, because it gave me time to try a couple of things, to see what works, and what doesn't. Felt a bit sad when I struggled, but when I finally succeeded I felt great, and confident in solving related problems. It is really great to learn by making mistakes and trying to figure stuff out.

By David A M

Mar 31, 2018

This class was very well done. I really enjoyed Dr. Chuck's explanations and the way the class flowed. I do wish it covered a bit more at a slightly accelerated rate. However, this may be because I'm used to the usual college class intensity. With that said, I don't have any complaints. I feel like I learned a lot of useful information . I believe this class has laid a good foundation for what is to come. I would strongly recommend this class to others.

By Aditya K

Oct 08, 2017

This course offers a good exposure to the fundamentals of Python for the non-programmers.

The instructor is engaging and delivers the material in a crisp manner.

The only part of the course that can be improved is the length of lectures.

Many lectures are longer than 6 mins and most cross the 10 min barrier. They can be broken down into smaller lectures , but the engaging presentation by the instructor ensures that no boredom seeps in at any point in time.

By Brandon B

Jan 10, 2016

Great course for new and experienced programmers alike looking to add Python to their toolbelt. If you're a self-taught programmer, the course can provides you with some basic vocabulary about programming idioms that you may not have had the words for previously. The professor was also quite charming, frequently using humour to lighten the subject matter. I do recommend this course for people that are either new to programming or programming with Python.

By Jose I J

Jan 02, 2018

Great course! I had 11 years with no programming activities, I was a developer for Delphy & PowerBuilder 11 years back but Python seems to be quite interesting to learn out. This course is great for people that have little experience on programming languages, but it was great for me as 11 years is a lot time, now I want to learn web / digital programming languages and I'll continue studying other Python courses in coursera for sure!!!!. Thanks a million

By Sundari E

Mar 25, 2016

Dear Chuck,

Can I call you Chuck? Anyway Sir, you are AWESOME!! If I become a programmer in my life, you'll be the only reason for it. You simply are great. I wish I had more teachers like you. I also wish I could meet you and tell you in person, that you are the personification of pure awesomness.

Yours truly,

A student who absolutely loves you and is eternally grateful to you from the other part of the world :)

Keep being awesome!!

By Sebastian C

Jan 17, 2017

This is a great course for those with no programming experience, especially since it involves python. I recommend to anyone with no experience that they start with python because the syntax is easy to learn and it is as close to psuedo-code used to develop algorithms as it comes. Although I have years of experience with python in my undergraduate and graduate research, I respect the teaching quality and attention to detail used throughout this course.

By Ed D

Nov 21, 2016

This has been one of the best educational experience I have had and I have had some, Ph.D., MBA. The best part about this course is that it is impeccably organized and possess timely help to students in need of assistance. This course should be used as the “gold standard” for teaching, whether online or in the classroom. I send my congratulations to all that have been and are now involved with overseeing the success of this wonderful achievement.

By Andrés E M

Dec 23, 2015

It is the first course I have successfully completed on Coursera. I had a vague background in programming from my undergraduate studies in Engineering, but I have always wanted to learn more. I have found this Course to be the right place so far. I think it’s oriented to anybody who wants to learn to program in general with no specific background and that definitely has been ideal for me. I am continuing with the next course, let’s see how it goes...

By Natalia I

Jan 16, 2018

Great book, fun course. I mainly read chapters of a book instead of watching videos, then did tests and exercises. However, slides were very useful for refreshing before starting a new chapter or just to have a look at key points summarized. I am very thankful to the authors, who made learning my first programming language non-frustrating. I really got addicted to it. I admire the comparison of Python to a dog who doesn't understand what you want fr

By Michael H

May 01, 2017

Amazing intro to programming class. I'm consulting with a tech startup and wanted to have better conversations with my developers. This is a great class to learn the "theory" of programming. I started taking an HTML, CSS and Javs Script class about half way through (chapter 4), because I need some piratical application. However, this course gave me the foundation. It's good to get error msgs!!! Looking forward to taking the rest of the series!

By Bogdan B

Nov 03, 2016

Outstanding introduction to Python programming language that will lay strong foundation to the more advanced topics about Python. The teaching style is superb and the things you learn stick in the long term memory really quickly. You need, however, to put additional effort on your side in order to truly "get" what's going on and learn and program as much as you can, as doing is really learning. Excellent, excellent course, teacher and the community.

By Jack M

Jan 14, 2020

Excellent Course! This course really gives someone the foundation of python coding and gives yourself early confidence in learning this skill to continue to take on new challenges in working towards being an expert. You will not come away with building any major project from this class, but it will definitely give you the foundation in getting to build that next level of this skill. If you are an aggressive learner you can complete within 2 weeks.

By Kush S

Apr 27, 2019

This is the perfect course for someone who is a beginner. I understood the logic and made it simple to remember how to program. The instructor and lessons are understandable and fun to learn and I can say I actually learned how to program. I came from zero python knowledge and was very pleased with what I acquired over this course. Additionally, the professor is very personable and about the course material and the delivery method. Thank you

By Hèlen G

Jan 22, 2016

Rating 5 stars for teaching style. When you are largely unfamiliar with programming it is important to not skip silly steps in explanation that might seem obvious. The information was very compact with made it easily digestible and encouraging to continue to the next level. The exercises increased nicely in complexity without sudden jumps in knowledge so that it would not give the impression that you are stuck forever in the pit hole of doom ;-)

By 慈曦

Sep 09, 2016

This course is just amazing.

It help me start learning Python and also help to improve my English.

The professor is excellent and also very funny,i like him.

Course material is the reason that i choose the course.This course has a chinese subtitle,and also has a PDF version of the book(which also has translated into chinese),it's so good.

I will take the following course as well,and i think it will also help me a lot.

I'm looking forword to it.

By kazuki m

Mar 08, 2018

I'm Japanese.This is my second online lecture and I enjoyed it. For people who has some programming experience in other programming language like me, maybe this lecture seems a little boring and prolix.But if you hadn't write python,you want to study python,you don't want to overlook fundamental python syntax and you need experience of lecture by English teacher without your mother language subscript,this lecture will be good for your future.

By Md M R

Dec 04, 2015

Hello There! I am a PHP web application developer and I am highly interested to make myself a good programmer. Recently I am to learn OpenERP Software which is created using Python. I found this course very useful to enrich my skill in programming concept and learning Python. I am very happy to find this course via one of my friends. I am so excited. This is really a great opportunity to learn. Thanks much for your effort dear management! :-)

By Duan S

Jan 16, 2018

it's a perfect programming course for those who has absolutely no idea of computer science. take me as an example: i'm an Art students, I major in business, I always thought CS is boring and much complicated (beyond my understanding ability), however, this course gives me confidence, and more importantly, I would like to learn further! Thank you Dr.Charles, wish you could come to Shanghai someday maybe, and I can join your office hour time.

By Luis F T S

Nov 13, 2015

I have problems with focusing and specially focusing in lectures where the professors are too technical with their vocabulary, however with Professor Chuck's way of teaching I don't have this difficulty, he is able to teach in a way that is simple and posible to understand. I wish every professor can join this teaching style for the sake of learning "complex concepts" in an easy way. Since the professor is really good the course is great!!

By Michael V D

Dec 15, 2016

This is an excellent course and Dr. Severance makes the learning fun. Course 1 of 5 is extremely beginner level so if you already have some coding experience and find yourself getting bored with the detailed explanation of each bit try setting video speed to 2x. I did so and it helped me to stay focused during times that would have felt like over explanation. Plus Dr. Severance is quite fun to listen to and watch at twice his normal speed!

By Muhammad Z S L

Mar 05, 2018

It was a brilliant experience to study by the method Coursera has provided me. I am obliged to every single person who is somehow associated in the development of this worthy platform. Especial thanks to my instructor Dr. Charles R. Severance(Dr.Chuk), without whom i wouldn't be able to complete this course. Sir i truly cant express my thanks to you in words only. You are an amazing instructor. Thankyou very much. Thankyou Coursera...:)))

By Ilori T

Oct 15, 2019

I found the course fantastic! I would recommend it to everyone who has not added the skill of programming to their set of Skills. With such a great teacher as Charles Severance, you'd enjoy every bit of the course and also understand the very basic things you need to know about python! I'm glad I took the course. I've learned so much, and even so, easily. So interesting and easily learned that I spent a day in finishing the whole course!

By Yumei L

Apr 21, 2016

Took this as "Programming for Everybody"--my very first programming class. Loved it. It was hard from time to time, but well worth it. It's not likely I will do programming for a living, but understanding this medium makes a big difference for me when I encounter issues related to technology, data and the web. I believe everyone can benefit from some exposure to the world of programming. And this is by far the best course offered online.

By Anton K

Mar 24, 2016

This course not just about syntax of programming language (unlike many other courses for beginners). It teaches you think as a programmer. It was pretty interesting to know how hardware works and how computer structure influences the coding. I found lots of great examples and the particular cases on the conditions, loops, and functions that can now be used by me in JavaScript and Swift. The best tutorial on code basics! Thanks Dr. Chuck!